Question Payment retreival options for a small web hosting company

I have a small host company, less than 20 customers. Right now I use paypal to collect credit card payments. I was wondering, is there any better option for collecting payments through credit card for someone who doesn't have a merchant account?

Also, what are some good customer tracking programs? I created my own access database and create reports each month manually. Is there an easier and more efficient way? I would love to integrate billing and customer tracking together. Right now, I enter everything manually once I get payments and new customer sign ups.

Thank you.

I started off in the same boat as you - doing everything by hand with a self written solution...

This quickly became VERY tedious. I eventually licensed Modernbill and had to spend a good chunk of time importing clients to it. My advice is to get a real solution that'll handle larger #s of clients ASAP - it'll save you quite a bit of work down the road. I have found Modernbill to be worth every penny.
    Tyler
    www.AdminZoom.com
    "Server Administration Done Right"

Server setup, hardening, migrations and more

I agree, get yourself clientexec, 9/month, WHM Autopilot 20/month or Modernbill 25/month. You will be happy you did in the long run. Also for $50 you can get a merchant account at www.2checkout.com It would be better to get it taken care of now rather than down the line when it absolutely has to be done. Also each of these products has a built in support function. While it may not be much it will give you a basis for that as well.

I was gonig to suggest 2checkout also. There have been a few complaints about them on here but I have used them for a few years now without a problem.

I havent used Modernbill but I have heard it's good.
    -- Matthew

Check out mypaysystems.com too. Been using them for about a year. Very good service and support.

Live Chat Support - 24-7-365

Do some research on 2CO. They've had big problems in the past but from the sound of it they are fairly reliable now.

Just a quick clarification - 2Checkout does not provide you with an actual merchant account. Rather, it is a 3rd party processing option and a "sub-account" that is very different from a merchant account.

I do agree 100% that you'll want to get your billing organized as soon as possible and with some software to handle this on an automated basis. After a very short while, it will get both very tedious and very difficult to track everything otherwise.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

Or whoiscart for $35 permenatly
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

Triple Story Cardboard Box in the land down under
    One of my friends in the web hosting line is using clientexec and is extremely happing with it.

I've heard about it other places well, might be one to check out. However, paysystems also sounds good.
    Web Hosting Jury - over 4000 hosting USER reviews
    Love Your Host? Hate Your Host? - Submit a review

I would suggest using ModernBill, 2checkout, and PaypPal. These work for us and we have had no complaints. You often here horror stories about 2 checkout but we have been with them over 6 months and no problem yet.

So if I went with ClientExec, then would I be able to automate things? For example, could I make an application form that would enter the customers data right into the ClientExec database? Would it also create the account on WHM and send out an email to the new client?

But with this, i would still need to use some sort of service to collect payments, like paypal, right? Or could I use ClientExec to automatically bill customers, say, on the first of each month?

Also, lets say a customer upgrades/downgrades his plan. Would ClientExect automatically make the update in WHM or will it just notify me so I can change it? If it cant do it automaticallly, will it at least notify me on the first of the next month when a downgrade would be effective, or calculate how much extra I would need to bill a client who, for examples, upgrades in the middle of the month?

Sorry for so many questions. I do everything manual now and the thought of automating everything is so cool.

Check out their website, it should tell you all that.
    www.clientexec.com

I'm not sure what is automated and what isn't.

I think ModernBill is a great billing system. It lets me do everything I want to do. There is a fairly steep learning curve associated with it, however. I learn things new every week and I have had it for almost a year! I started with the lite license (50 users or less) for $14.95/mo. They let you upgrade to the unlimited version later easily. As for a merchant account, I would recommend a real one over a 2co account. The difference is more monthly fees, but half the per transaction fees. I use Authorize.net with E-OnlineData, and it is worth every penny!

Re: Payment retreival options for a small web hosting company

Originally posted by LANSTARR
    So if I went with ClientExec, then would I be able to automate things? For example, could I make an application form that would enter the customers data right into the ClientExec database? Would it also create the account on WHM and send out an email to the new client?
    I don't 'think' ClientExec is fully integrated with WHM to the extent of auto-creating accounts - however WHM.AutoPilot is. I recently investigated both in detail and as a WHM/cPanel host, decided to go with the latter for a one off 'owned' licence fee of around $150 as I recall. I think I made the right decision as it has the facility, in conjunction with a suitable payment processor account, to automate everything from client sign up, payment, account setup, client welcome email, invoicing, etc (although you may be advised to stop short of having it automatically create the WHM account to avoid fraud orders slipping through - best to do this manually).

But with this, i would still need to use some sort of service to collect payments, like paypal, right? Or could I use ClientExec to automatically bill customers, say, on the first of each month?...
    Yes you would still need some sort of merchant or a 3rd party payment processor like Paypal, 2CO, Paysystems, etc. WHMAP can automatically charge clients via recurring billing and automatic invoicing (using your chosen payment processor).

2CHECKOUT owe me $1000 in the last 3 days, god damn it. THEY HAVE DOWNTIME, THEIR SERVICE DOWN! when i calculate my customers thinking oabout my service when their payment link doesnt open(DOWN)!
    I ll get crazy, i couldnt edti a support ticket to the 2co.com becouse http://2checkout.com doesnt open!
    Sh*t

Well, I'm a poor fledgling company too. I use wh57 for accounting. It's 39.95. I like it so far.

http://wh57.com/

ClientExec and 2Checkout have treated us well. I'd recommend that combo.

Paypal now allows you to collect CC payments without the person becoming a paypal member. This would serve the same purpose for any small company as 2CO, Paysystems, etc...without having to pay their startup fees, and high transaction fees.

We have both http://2checkout.com for credit cards and paypal for money orders.
    They are both the best option but the perfect option is that ; built your own vpos and bank accounts for money orders.
    Also 2co confirmed us they had a big fight DDos Attacks this week, they explain their downtimes as this.

try paysafepc.com.

So which merchant account is the best guys?! any ideas, i think i should tick of 2CO, how is paypal? anyother suggestions.??! thanks.

take care all,

Yaser.

Originally posted by dotsup
    try paysafepc.com.

Here are my thoughts.

Never use a payment processor that doesn't know how to spell or use proper grammar. That is downright pathetic. Iím not trying to be a Grammar-Nazi but you expect more from someone that is holding your money.

If they can't properly use a keyboard, what makes you think they can properly use a calculator?