newbie help - pages not updating

Hello all,

I'm a real newbie having just setup my first website hosted with ipowerweb. It is (and always will be) a work in progress and I am adding and updating pages everyday. This was going fine, I'd upload the modified page, refresh my browser and voila, new page would appear. Now, there's a problem, especially with index files. I modify and upload but cannot get the new file to load in my browser, it's always the old file - my husband has checked on his work pc and same deal

I have cleared all the temporary internet files from my pc and checked on pcs that haven't loaded these files before.

I have checked using WS_FTP that the modified file has indeed uploaded is the right one.

Apologies if this is the equivilent of checking if the machines plugged in when it won't work - but I'm at my wits end!

many thanks in advance for any advice.

Hold CTRL and press refresh.
    --

ooh you angel! Thank you

Now can you explain what that does and why this is a new problem to me?

Thanks

Are you using IE? If so go to the "Tools" menu, the "Internet Options", on the first tab there will be a "Settings" button. This will bring up a window with a list in, select the top option. Can't remember the wording exactly, but it implies that IE should check for the latest version of the page every time.

CTRL + F5 forces IE to look for the latest version and not just at your cache. You can get it to check for the latest version everytime by doing the above.

HTH.

F5 - the key which will cause IE to referesh. Just thought I'd say to clear any confusion as I realised I put F5 and not the refresh button!

Thanks Michellez

I had actually tried that and just tested it again and it doesn't work - only the ctrl refresh (or F5) does the trick. I'd really love to know why this is the case and why it has only just become a problem.

99% of IE problems are down to the cache (I mean display, download problems etc - not a discusion on the merits/bad points of IE).
    Your best bet is to clear the cache out occasionally as this will usually fix all of your problems.

From IE go:
    Tools>Internet Options

Under the heading "Temporary Internet Files" click the "Delete Files" button.
    Once this has finished I'm going to guess that the issue you've been experiencing has gone.

That's what stumps me, it seemed the obvious cause so I did this, first manually ie stripping out everything from my domain and when that didn't work I tried automatically as you have described and it still didn't work (unless there is another cache somewhere?).

Again, I don't know why this problem has suddenly appeared. The only thing I can think of is that I downloaded and installed Opera the other day which I believe is IE based. I am still using IE while test driving Opera when I get time. Could this have caused this sudden problem? My modify/upload/modify/upload behaviour hasn't changed.

Still stumped but happy that ctrl refresh works - what is the difference btw that and a regular refresh?

If you have a proxy server somewhere on your route to the net (many are often known as 'transparent' so you don't explicity specify them, they just intercept your traffic), then this may also be caching your page, Ctrl-F5 somehow (I'm not sure exactly how) sends out a signal that says it wants the latest version and will normally cause proxy servers to fetch the latest and not rely on their cache - this is probably what is happening in your case.

Now this is making more sense and might explain why my husbands pc at work which I don't think had viewed the pages before, but uses the same ISP, was doing the same thing. Though I still wonder why this wasn't happening before but is now.

Ta for the input