Suggestions for Colo in Houston, Texas

Dear All,

I would appreciate your advice/suggestions for a small shop that has current needs of 1-2 Mbps and expects to grow by the same amount every few months (they may need 2 Mbps at just a couple of weeks notice sometimes, but rarely).

Reliability, as you can imagine, is of essence but going down once a year is tolerable. Burstable bandwidth is another nice-to-have.

They looked at InterNap but the costs were quite high. Some other options are XO, SBC, MCI. Not sure who to trust - they all make loud claims of reliability and uptime.

Thanks much.

In Houston I have personally had experience with Level3. I would say they are a OK provider at best. Their Colo was built with a Telco mindset but they have Cabinets and bandwidth. They are located on the North side of town and have a Huge colo there. They are a very hands off provider and you will rarely see a employee of Level3 even if you spend hours in your colo. Also if you need support you will likly be talking to someone across the country and not a tech in the same building or even same state.

If you would consider going to Austin for Colocation I would have to recomend CoreNAP (www.corenap.com) but I have to admit I have a personal like of CoreNAP cause I work here. We are more of the kind of Colo provider you are looking for I think but likely just not in the correct city for you.

Hello,

I have talked to every provider you have mentioned in Houston, as well as a few other providers that you have not mentioned. If you would like you may send me an email at kleissner@houston.rr.com and I can recommend a solution for you in Houston depending on your needs and requirements.

Edit: I tried to send you a PM, but you don’t have enough posts yet to use the PM system, so please email me.

Thank you,
    Kyle Leissner

Hmm interesting. I was just wanting to open up a thread like this myself. I'm thinking of going co-loco in Houston in the next few months as well

bah I am a n00b here as well, so no pms for me I guess

Yoepus, i would email Kyle, he had info awhile back. He made a similar post to this. His email is above. Anyway, you need 5 posts to send/recieve PMs

Originally posted by NaGaming
    Yoepus, i would email Kyle, he had info awhile back. He made a similar post to this. His email is above. Anyway, you need 5 posts to send/recieve PMs
    cool thanks, I did email Kyle.

Just made the post count

Thanks, people. Your responses are much appreciated. I did email Kyle. Waiting to hear back from him.

Reply Sent

Kyle,

I responded to your email. Need a cheap but reliable place (DC preferred to Telco Colo, but flexible on that). Some support would be nice (for reboots, etc). Access is required 24 x 7 x 365. Would prefer burstable Frac-DS3 (but am open to ideas). Current need is only 1-1.5 Mbps and 1 cabinet (actually only need space for 4 towers), but growth is expected at an unforeseeable rate and seemless growth is important. Redundancy in terms of peering, generators, UPS is critical.

Again, many thanks.