Hybrid View

Do setup fees turn you off?

Hey all.

I am starting up a new website host very soon. The thing is, my packages are cheap-just enough to make enough profit to makeit worthwhile. Therefore, I cant really lose the 30c per month fee from paypal, and I can not yet afford another system.

If I was to charge a $3 setup fee, would that detract you from purchasing hosting?

Alex
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Do setup fees turn you off?

Originally posted by Khazun
    Hey all.

I am starting up a new website host very soon. The thing is, my packages are cheap-just enough to make enough profit to makeit worthwhile. Therefore, I cant really lose the 30c per month fee from paypal, and I can not yet afford another system.

If I was to charge a $3 setup fee, would that detract you from purchasing hosting?

Alex
    Price your prices high enough so that you are comfortable and the company can be sustained.

Yes, cheaper pricing might be more attractive, but I have raised the pricing for both my hosting and reseller companies over the last year due to increased costs etc....

I find most of my clients are coming via referrals from other clients, they come for great service at a fair price, not bad service at a low price

If you feel you service needs a setup fee, don't be put off too much by most other hosts offering free setup. I myself am currently deciding whether or not to levy a small setup charge on my reseller plans
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

Alex,

I really think that depends on your target market. I know personally when it comes to buying a dedicated server I don't mind paying a set-up cost because I know that it is a standard within the market and they spend some time doing it.

What you could do is follow a marketing idea that if they pay a upfront set-up fee they pay less per month versus paying more per month w/o the set-up fee.

Just an idea
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

Everything depends on your marketing policy. Firstly, you should decide whether it is able to replace some part of your expenditures on the monthly web hosting fees - if it isn't able then the only way is to make set up fee. But mention, that very often customers don't like it!
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Do setup fees turn you off?

Therefore, I cant really lose the 30c per month fee from paypal, and I can not yet afford another system.
    I wouldn't purchase from a hosting company that couldn't afford a $.30 PayPal transaction, nor would I purchase from one where PayPal was the only payment method. With that kind of business model, it would be lucky for them to be in business for any real time frame at all.

I would seriously reconsider your pricing structure and what you're going into the hosting business for.

*moving from webhosting forum to running a webhosting business*
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah. Take for example. I am selling a small package @ 55cents per month.

With the paypal fees around 20c is left. Not enough. Therefore I would add a $3 setup fee. Or should I add the option of a $3 setup fee or 30c extra per month until setup fee is payed?

@Coach

Paypal is not there forever. Just while I get set up. I cant a paypal transaction cauz I want to charge around 55c.
      0 Not allowed!

If you want to charge $.55 a month, then you're not going to be in business very long, PayPal transaction fee or not.

Period.
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.
      0 Not allowed!

The question is why would someone want to offer a 55 cents plan? Even a $3 setup fee can last for about 15 months or so in PayPal transaction fee. Do you intentinally plan on losing money after that, or do you not see your customers sticking for that long?

I totally agree with the first poster -- take his advise. Analyze your target market, come up with some decent plans, and run with it. The ultimate goal should be sustainibility, not cheap prices.

Yeah. Take for example. I am selling a small package @ 55cents per month.

With the paypal fees around 20c is left. Not enough. Therefore I would add a $3 setup fee. Or should I add the option of a $3
      0 Not allowed!

$3 is not a whole lot. I dont see how that would detract someone from signing up for your hosting service. If they are detracted by it then you probably dont want that cheap-skate as a customer. If you were asking for $20 then that is different, but $3, give me a break. Good luck to you.
      0 Not allowed!

If you are offering a $0.55/month hosting plan, you are in for a world of hurt financially. I don't mean this in any way other than in a respectful and honest manner but here's the problem with that kind of pricing:

1) You'll dissaude the best customers from signing up with you. They will look at your price and assume you are running it off a cable connection from your basement or worse... so you will actually be hurting your sales and impairing your ability to attract the really solid kinds of customers.

2) You'll attract the kinds of customers that you don't really want to focus on - the price-only focused customers who will generate a lot of support headache for no profit at all. They will still expect you to do a good job - they just won't want to pay you any more than the $.55/month you are asking.

Sell on value instead of price-alone and you'll not only get more customers and better customers, but you'll actually make money. I just do not see how a $.55/month plan is going to be either sustainable or profitable in the long run, nor can I conceive how it would be worth it to run it at that pricing level.

9 times out of 10 what ends up happening is that the Web host gets frustrated and fed up having to work so hard for so little... and then you see posts in the WHT "Offers" area for Web hosts selling hundreds of customer accounts that generate an net income of like $50/month and they wonder why no one wants to buy it.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!
      0 Not allowed!

If you want to have a $.55/month plan, charge quarterly, bi annually or annually. You can't let over 50% of your revenue get eaten up by transaction costs.

And if your customers choose you because they can pay $.55 a month for web hosting, I think they would balk at the idea of a $3 set up fee - that's 5 months of hosting for them! Imagine how hard of a time EV1 would have if they charged a $500 set up fee.

Then again, I can't recommend having a $.55 plan.

Minimum wage here is $6.75
    $6.75/60 = 11 cents a minute

If you spend more than 5 minutes on an account, you're best off flipping burgers.

That doesn't even include advertising and server costs. Once factored in, assuming you scrimp on that part of your cost structure, an account put be worth 2 minutes of your time.

Setting up an account usually takes longer than 2 minutes. A typical support ticket can take 10 minutes to solve.
      0 Not allowed!

For most the the services I offer, I do believe that setup fees will be a turn-off to my customers. I mean, it takes me what? ten minutes maximum to setup a new hosting account?

Now, when I do server administration for the client, like forum installation or database mantenance, I will charge a setup fee and/or for my time.
    Adam Reyher
    PylonHosting.com - We deliver quality hosting
      0 Not allowed!

selling a service on price is dangerous. Just look at how many different hosts there are selling for cheap. When I ran a hosting business, we never competed on price and our business worked. We sold service, support, and a relationship with the client. That may not work for everyone, but it was a heck of a lot more profitable that way.
      0 Not allowed!

Ill consdier going up a bit then.
      0 Not allowed!

Personally, I would only be willing to pay a setup fee if there is actually something to setup. If your system is automated and there is no manual labor, I consider it an unnecessary fee designed to increase profits. If there is some actual setup that involves time and energy from a person, then I would consider paying a setup fee. Of course, if everyone else's system is automatic, and yours is not, then I would probably not want to do business with you unless you are providing some added value for doing it manually.

I think a better plan is to price your products and services so they are sustainable without a setup fee. You are more likely to be able to survive changes in costs down the road.
      0 Not allowed!

Adding a setup fee is not the solution here. You have priced your plans very low in a way that there isn't any real profit. You should increase your prices and set them according to the quality of service, support and costs involved to run your business. Also, having cheap prices will attract the wrong customers.
      0 Not allowed!

Just a quick reminder - this thread is from 2004..
      0 Not allowed!