Question How does a customer control dedicated server?

Help

I am thinking about renting a dedicated server to host game servers. BUT, I am confused, how will I install the game server software and control the PC? like make folders, copy stuffs. I will not even try linux servers cos I have no clue about it.

And how will I set up my website on the dedicated server? Map IP's to different servers.

I have set up 3 game servers and 1 website+phpbb forum on my home PC server. BUT, how will the same work on a dedicated PC?
    I see collocation works for me, just send over my home server, but, really, I would go for a dedicated server from the host instead of sending my home server over there.

Kinda n00b question I know. I see all those control softwares like cpanel and directadmin etc. Can I use netmeeting or PC anywhere type programs on dedicated PC?

What I need is:

• US central location(Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas)
      +-1000 GB bandwidth/month
      no FDC servers plz, no setup fee!
      10mb or 100mb brustable
      40GB+ disk space

I want MYSQL/PHPmyadmin/php4 (do I have to install them?)
    Its a hobby, not a business for me.
    Budgest is $150
    Advice?
    Last edited by one1coolone1; 04-13-2004 at 04:23 AM.
    <b> ? </b>

For access.. If you are wanting something for the desktop type view. I recommend using the built in feature of Server. Terminal Services. You can download the client for it at Microsoft.com. I prefer using VNC, which is a desktop control app. Might look into that as well..

As far as installing the game. Most of the games dont require that you have the full version installed for dedicated server. Most of the time, there are dedicated versions of games available to download. Might check each of the said vendors sites for more details.

For the website and phpbb, depends on what you want to run. phpbb uses php. So need to get apache installed, although apache+php+mysql are not too great on Windows. It works, but is not optimal.

For the website domain name ect. You can use one of the many free DNS services. Search the forums for DNS hosting/offsite DNS hosting/3rd party DNS/ or something along those lines. I personally use afraid.org.

To run three game servers and a site and forums.... you are going to hard pressed finding one thats going to run well for 150. Sure you could have a p4 that _can_ run all that, but the games wont be too fast.

US central location(Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas)
    +-1000 GB bandwidth/month
    no FDC servers plz, no setup fee!
    10mb or 100mb brustable
    40GB+ disk space
    I think you'll be able to find dedicated server you needat the given price ($150), but hmm...bandwidth is too high. So you'll need either to decrease the amount of bandwidth or to increase price

alright, how about any one give me info on dedicated server solution in US Central location for monthly bandwidth of 500-700GB for $150/mon please and plz, no set up fees.

Thanks
    <b> ? </b>

www.servermatrix.com www.ev1servers.net www.serverbeach.com they're all good but have setup fee.

http://www.managed.com >> don't know how good they are
    Last edited by amzhost; 04-13-2004 at 06:54 PM.

maybe ev1?
    Excell Hosting
    Budget Hosting

It will also depend on what the dedicated hosting provider offers with the deal. For example, some providers will bundle in a server management control panel with the setup, some will offer to do installations for you, some will just give you root access to the server and it's in your court.

Best of luck finding the right host. I personally still think your bandwidth needs are a bit high for a reliable server on that budget, but you can compare your options and try out what you think is right for you.
    JC, www.webii.net
    Premium Hosting Services Since 1996
    Custom Development- www.webxess.net

Server hosting needed in Chicago, and 500gb/mon is good for me for $150
    <b> ? </b>

I'd recommend angelnetworkz.net

I'm currently hosted on their servers, and so far they've been great. Support wise and uptime-wise. Definately worth checking out, especially their prices.

EDIT:
    Ah, but its not in Chicago. At least I think.
    my portflio ~great design for less.
    AIM: Mattc0m | E-mail: mattc0m[at]gmail.com

I'll suggest you to go with P4 2.8 Ghz HT Server with ServerMatrix.

Stable Network, Reasonable Prices & prompt support is what that makes them my choice.

Try them for the windows machine and you'll have TS access which is similar to accessing your desktop and then you can install any app you wanna run.