Review: FDCservers.net VDS for IRC

Recently I ordered a VDS from FDCservers.net because I'm an operator on a relatively small IRC network (2500 users). I was pretty sure this was only going to be a one-month trial, to test out FDC. I paid via PayPal 11pm Easter eve, and the server was setup in under three hours. +1 for FDC here, that's very fast setup in my opinion.

I logged into the box, which is a "Basic VDS" with "512MB RAM, 10GB Disk Space, Unmetered BANDWIDTH". I started fooling around, and noticed that the machine was a little unresponsive. I did a free command, and noticed that of 512MB, only 12MB of RAM was left. Everything was hitting the pagefile pretty hard. The compile of my IRCd took awhile, and I actually lost connection to the box in the middle of it. I couldn't reconnect until the next day. I haven't needed to contact FDC support yet, so I can't comment there.

All in all, the box felt too overcrowded to be worth my $60 a month.. if anyone is considering this option from FDC I'd highly recommend a completely dedicated server. Due to the memory issue I really don't feel comfortable linking this server to my network, but if anyone wants to test the IRC network, give me a link to a test file and I'll slap it on the box for you to download.

Do you know by chance what type of virtualizing solution are they using? Vituozzo, UML, or something proprietary? 512 RAM for $60 seems to be a good deal.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

Remember, the entire box has 512MB of RAM. You're sharing that with everyone else on the box, which feels like a few dozen at least.

And no, I have no idea what software they're using.

I would have to say UML not 100% sure
    FastServerManagement
    Powerful CPanel Server Management
    [email protected] 1-877-898-1423

Oh, sorry, that's not a real VDS/VPS. Just the regular reseller or shared account. It is bad enough when you are at 2 G RAM, so I can imagine what should be to share 512 RAM.
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

Oops, they say, FULL ROOT ACCESS.

This one is really good:

Advanced VDS
    - 1024MB RAM
    - 20GB Disk Space
    - Unmetered BANDWIDTH
    $79/month

PS. How did you came to know that the RAM is shared?
    Last edited by Imago; 04-13-2004 at 03:27 AM.

Imago: Yep, I do have full root access, but I'm almost certain I'm sharing that RAM. My box was using a few MB (ps afxv) but free showed that 500MB was in use.

This can happen with VPS. I've seen many to complain about this ghost server activity.

If it's shared RAM i'd say it's Virtuozzo or VServer. It's easy to tell by running "uname -a" (if you know what to expect). Virtuozzo and VServer both report the physical servers ram usage. It may be UML, but if it is they have to be severely overselling, 512MB of RAM using UML is a lot to allocate. Most UML providers only offer up to 256MB.
    Matt Ayres - togglebox.com
    Linux and Windows Cloud Virtual Datacenters powered by Onapp / Xen
    Instant Setup, Instant Scalability, Full Lifecycle Hosting Solutions

www.togglebox.com

FDC Is Virtuozzo I remeber them saying in a advertising post

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

512MB Ram in a Box which shall host several VPS generally sucks big time...
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Originally posted by TheWiseOne
    If it's shared RAM i'd say it's Virtuozzo or VServer. It's easy to tell by running "uname -a" (if you know what to expect). Virtuozzo and VServer both report the physical servers ram usage. It may be UML, but if it is they have to be severely overselling, 512MB of RAM using UML is a lot to allocate. Most UML providers only offer up to 256MB.
    [[email protected] root]# uname -a
    Linux 8426.fdcservers.net 2.4.20-020stab009.8.777 #1 Tue Jan 6 13:13:28 MSK 2004

Definitly Virtuozzo then

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon