Microsoft FrontPage Extensions
    ColdFusion MX 6.1 Server
    Access DB Support
    MS SQL Server
    Miva Shopping Cart
    One Time Setup Fee $19.95
    Monthly Charge annually $29.95
    Monthly Charge quarterly $33.95

What do you guys think of this package? Since I plan on running a business(in beta stage right now) do you guys suggest I get a higher transfer rate? I'm not too worried about the Storage because I plan on having a database driven website to keep the pages to a minimum, but I'm assuming the database storage will effect my Hard disk Storage?

-peace
    Last edited by MadmaN84; 04-13-2004 at 02:27 AM.

Thats mad high. Some companies like http://complexlogics.com/ http://ExperHosts.com and almost any other hosts, are giving the same service at $2.99 with no Setup fee.

Admin_user do those hosts have SSL for ecommerce sites?

MadmaN84, are you going to be needing the SSL? If you plan on selling items through your site I would say that this is a decent priced host for what you require. However, if you do not need SSL, you can most definitely find a better price.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

SSL is an add-on and 99% of hostings have this including those two.

No offense....

But if I were running a web-business and went with a host that gave all that for $2.99 a month (which means it would be impossible for said host to pay bills) I'd deserve not only to be out of business, but locked up for insanity.

MadmaN84,
    If you are planning on running your business then research and look for a quality host, and definitely keep away from the $2.99 hosts. Since you are quite serious about this I would purchase an ssl certificate since they do not come for free unless you roll your own and have a self-signed certificate which is not a bad idea, but you also have the option to purchase an ssl certificate. You get what you pay for so look into this and research this as you would when planning a big investment since you will be putting your time, money, and reputation on the line so make sure you have a host that will back you up.
    Bones

The package looks reasonable enough to me. Whether or not you'll need more transfer is something you'll have to work out for yourself.

I'd assume that the database storage space does come out of your hard disk space but you'd be best off sending them an enquiry email to make sure.

It pays to do your research about a potential host so read up about them before making a final decision.

People make choices. Some make it right and some don't. Offering a mad low price like WebHostingBoy.com used to have is insane. However, I'm looking at ExperHosts.com Starter Plan at $2.99 with 50MB Space and 5GB Bandwidth,

you get a server for $100 with 40GB Space and 1000GB Bandwidth, meaning you can host atleast 200 Starter Plans on that server without overselling, thats $600 a month and $500 profit per server per month.

Math doesnt tell wrong.

Math does not lie, but when talking about a business to be run online I sure would not opt for a cheap hosting plan sitting on an overcrowded box. The result of greed is slipshod quality that leaves no other option but to look for another host. Lots of host's out there, and better yet if you have the skillset and feel comfortable at the command prompt then look into getting a dedicated server MadmaN84. Good luck in your search
    Bones

Actually, I am hosting with ExperHosts for couple months now, and not only I never had any problems with them, my site is running as smooth as it can be.

BTW,

Participants may not use discussions to recommend, praise, or belittle other products or services, or any company; without first hand experience of those products or services.
    So I'm assuming you guys are all ExperHosts clients...

I think that given price is a bit high for such a solutions...

I think that with the Miva Shopping Cart that the price is fair.

My 2 cents.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

Originally posted by Admin_user
    Math doesnt tell wrong
    Great. Yet another supporter of the only cost is the server hosting philosophy.

What happens when the host you describe (who has only $100/mo overhead) gets kicked out of their free office space and suddenly needs to pay for things like rent, phone service, water, power, accounting, legal fees, etc? And what happens when their (apparently) free technicians and support staff leave to find paying jobs? I'll tell you what happens: $100/mo suddenly becomes $2,500/mo and that "great deal" host is now in the hole for $2,000/mo.

MadmaN84,

Sorry to jump off topic, but people who use Admin_user's brand of logic for comparing hosting prices are the exact reason we see so many complaints about bad and dissappearing hosts on these forums. The price you showed above does looks a bit high, but servers are far from the only cost of providing hosting and it may be perfectly reasonable if that host maintains a high level of service. While it's true you can find cheaper service, I wouldn't take the bait from any host who offers what you're asking for at under $15/mo (and certainly not $2.99 ). Hosts who don't charge enough to pay thier bills don't stay in the business very long.

As for transfer rate, what kind of traffic are you expecting? Startups usually don't use much bandwidth for a while.... but you need to make sure your host can scale up to whatever you might expect in the future (until you need a dedicated server), so if you don't really know, then you want to look for a host who doesn't charge an arm and a leg for additional bandwidth.
    http://www.srohosting.com
    Stability, redundancy and peace of mind

MadMaN84, I think it really depends on what type of business you're planning to host with them. If you need the SSL, and the MS SQL (not MySQL,) the the host may be worth it.

However, I would suggest doing a little research on other companies that may be able to offer you something similar first.

And Admin_User, look again at what the poster is looking for. The two hosts you mentioned for 2.99 per month do NOT include many key highlighted red items he listed.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

MadmaN84 says he wants to run a business, don't go pointing him to $2.99 p/month hosts, not everybody wants the world for the price of a burger

If it has the features you need and is within your budget, there's not really any reason not to go for it, they have a 30 day money back guarantee so as you're still developing your site, you can always cancel within that time if you're not happy and have a look at something else.

Their website is one of the quickest and most organised i've seen in a long time, that doesn't guarantee good support but from a first impression i'd say they look like a good choice.

Bear in mind that the SSL is shared SSL meaning you'll be using a path like http://theirdomain.com/your_username/your_files/ if you want a secure path on your own domain, you would need your own SSL certificate ($30 upwards p/year), that might be something to consider.
    Hyperconfused (™)

I don't see a problem with that price, the only thing that concerns me a little bit because they don't let you pay monthly. High prices don't mean you're going to get a good company,

I'd start off quarterly to make sure you're not getting with a bad company, and others mentioned, if you're serious about your business stay away from the 2.99 accounts.

Thanks guys!! You all were very helpful. A friend of mine forwarded me to them and said they are a "top notch" company and many people use them without any hassles.

That is a reasonible price for me to fish out right now, I work like a million hours before I go to college right now. So after i work I get cracking with the business plus right now it'ss my life. I plan on selling custom built computers from workstations, home/office computers, and low end servers plus individual hardware. Go figure I'm a computer geek but don't really know anything about hosting :hrugs::

By the look of their site, their layout, and offers they seem very professional to me.

I would really love to host my own site. Problem is I'm running cable not to mention on a freaking dynamic IP(really pissed me off lol) Right now I do host it until I find a host I don't feel like going through legal fees if my cable ISP finds out I'm running a server if I get tuns of traffic to it. Plus cable won't cut it if I want to be successful.

I'm trying to get all this through my partners head. He just doesn't understand the concept. I told him about the legal fees and what not for violating the ISPs TOS and what the bandwith will be like on cable, also about the the dynamic IP, oh ya and they blocked port 80. So the Nameservers will not work correctly.

Lol, I'm getting off track now, Thanks agian!!!

-peace

Originally posted by Admin_user
    you get a server for $100 with 40GB Space and 1000GB Bandwidth, meaning you can host atleast 200 Starter Plans on that server without overselling, thats $600 a month and $500 profit per server per month.

Math doesnt tell wrong.
    Original poster wanted MIVA and the server also has ColdFusion installed, neither of which are free last I checked.

40GB of space on a hard drive does not equate to 200 customers either, any host who fills a drive 100% for maximum profit is nuts and should be avoided. I never let a /home drive become more than 50% full myself, so that cuts down potential customers to 100 on this box, leaving just $200 "profit" with no dollar amount left of technical support for the 100 clients on the server, no real server admin taking care of the server, etc.

$2.99/month for SSL hosting for a business site? You do realize that for the business it's a write-off right? Even $30/month is cheap here for the service this person is looking for.

If you go setup a brick and mortar store would you rather pay $400/month rent for an actual retail storefront of $40/month for a tent at the local flea market once a week?
    Dynanet Network Services - 206-607-9075
    We Do Hosting - Established May 2001
    http://www.dynanet.ca/

Originally posted by SROHost
    Great. Yet another supporter of the only cost is the server hosting philosophy.

What happens when the host you describe (who has only $100/mo overhead) gets kicked out of their free office space and suddenly needs to pay for things like rent, phone service, water, power, accounting, legal fees, etc? And what happens when their (apparently) free technicians and support staff leave to find paying jobs? I'll tell you what happens: $100/mo suddenly becomes $2,500/mo and that "great deal" host is now in the hole for $2,000/mo.

MadmaN84,

Sorry to jump off topic, but people who use Admin_user's brand of logic for comparing hosting prices are the exact reason we see so many complaints about bad and dissappearing hosts on these forums. The price you showed above does looks a bit high, but servers are far from the only cost of providing hosting and it may be perfectly reasonable if that host maintains a high level of service. While it's true you can find cheaper service, I wouldn't take the bait from any host who offers what you're asking for at under $15/mo (and certainly not $2.99 ). Hosts who don't charge enough to pay thier bills don't stay in the business very long.

As for transfer rate, what kind of traffic are you expecting? Startups usually don't use much bandwidth for a while.... but you need to make sure your host can scale up to whatever you might expect in the future (until you need a dedicated server), so if you don't really know, then you want to look for a host who doesn't charge an arm and a leg for additional bandwidth.
    I agree with you totally. I don't mind some markup. They too are running a business, have to pay workers, and LARGLY pay for all the bandwith!!!! I wouldn't want to be stuck with a host company that is worrying about if they are going to get enough money to pay for all the bandwith and worry about going out of business. Then all that time and money I put into the site and pay for hosting went down the drain.... This company has been around for 7 years so I do think by the looks of what I read they know what they are doing and aren't here to play games.

-peace