Uunet/mci & Sprint?

Hello,

I see that UUNET/MCI and SPRINT have two of the largest global networks, and was wondering if anyone could share pricing on large commitments with these providers? How low do they go per meg on a large 1Gbps+ commit?

Thank you,
    Kyle Leissner

Without a carrier license, price with MCI is around 55/meg on a gig commit.

Some resellers say they could pull MCI off at $20/meg, you can try some of them.

For Sprint, u're probably looking at the same ballpark.

Around here, Sprint and UUNet are the major carriers (Midwest / Minnesota) Almost all ISP's buy from them, some get their lines from Qwest (further north).

My servers at USI are sitting on Sprint / UUNet bandwidth. Thats partially why I pay more for bandwidth than if I was at a datacenter like equinix/he where bandwidth prices are more competitive.

what kind of commit would u need to get a $20/meg on UUNET/MCI?

I always thought of them as an expensive provider.

To buy direct from MCI, 2-3 gig gets you to 40/meg.

Having a carrier license do help lower the price point for some reason.

How much is a carrier license, or is that something you can't pay for, but have to earn?

Thank you,
    Kyle Leissner

I have no idea, those license seems to be granted by the FCC. It would probably cost quite a bit.

I have worked in the telephone industry as well as Internet, although I am not a lawyer or regulatory affairs expert; I believe states' PUC grant CLEC status.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

Originally posted by jsw6
    I believe states' PUC grant CLEC status.
    I believe that you are correct.

im sorry if im going off topic but what is the general price / meg for a medium-high quality provider (above, UUNET, verio, lvl3, etc.) on a 100mbps commit? Just so i can compare to the prices gained on buying on a full GigE

I've seen about $40 from Abovenet, Level(3) and Global Crossing on 100mbit. Just to give you an idea.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

I've been all over the place and it's extremely difficult to get 40/meg or less on 100 mb commits or less unless there's a special deal or of course cogent :>

Agreed with bigfoo. Directly, none of those carriers are at 40/meg yet. but i have seen 40/meg from resellers of Level3.

Global crossing is really a shaky one right now, their pricing is all over the place, but last I check, it was still at 55/meg. (but of course, i didn't push for it, since i'm not buying)