Thread: OS install

OS install

How do you install an OS on a server w/o CD rom or floppy, and if it doesnt have a monitor?

I know this seems like a 'newb' question, but i wasn't sure what the answer to it was.

thanks.

Some OS's have network install option.
    Just copy files onto hard drive of the new computer from network, and install from there...

What OS are you trying to install?

It was mostly a general question - since i was curious to know what it would involve and if i should be buying a CD rom drive with all my servers.

We do network installs at work with solaris machines, a simple "boot net - install" and we have a working sun box in 1 hr with latest patch cluster. It is simple to setup the jumpstart server. We have solaris 8 and 9, freebsd, and gentoo images we load on the sparcs. docs.sun.com as a lot of info on setting up a jumpstart server this is of course for sun hardware though.

Buy 1 external CD rom drive, and make sure your servers can boot from USB. Then you can use that to boot/install your OS's for all your servers. And if its a CD/DVD burner, you can use it for backups too