Cable ISP Providers with Static IP

Hello,

I am looking for a new ISP so that I can host my own web site. Does anyone recommend any cable/broadband providers that offer static IP in the Norcal Bay Area. Surprisingly, Comcast does not offer static IP, so I need to find another provider that does. Thanks.

-Paul

just pay someone to host your site save you a lot of time and headache. And you won't have to leave your computer on all the time.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Originally posted by pixel_fenix
    just pay someone to host your site save you a lot of time and ehadache.
    Good idea.
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    Shared and VPS hosting + dedicated servers and colocation.
    ... and we're green, too!
    Hosting your dreams since 1997.

Most cable providers do not provide static IP for residential accounts. Business accounts is another story.

that is what the residential ISPs are trying to avoid....hosting at home.

Originally posted by Cope
    Most cable providers do not provide static IP for residential accounts. Business accounts is another story.
    Exactly right.

Comcast has a small business package that only costs $100 a month. With that you get a 3 meg download and 1 meg upload speeds as well as a static IP.

In Austin, TX Time Warner cable has recently (sort of) had a competitor, Grande Communications. Grande is offering some extremely aggressive deals that include guaranteed bandwidth significantly higher than Time Warner as well as static IP addresses.

Unfortunately my address is not served by them so I can not speak from personal experience. A few of my friends do have them servicing their homes though and are extremely happy.

Personally I have all of my little home sites hosted with hosts that I have found through this board. IMHO it is just easier than having to worry about doing it myself. There are some very cheap reasonable deals out there which will really make you question even a $5 a month fee for that static IP address the cable company may want to give you.

I should add that even with Comcast's small business plan it is still against their TOS to host a site on their lines...

Cable ISP Providers with Static IP

Thanks for the responses. I plan on doing some significant J2EE development for my website and have not found any hosting companies that let me use Java. That's the only reason I am looking to host internally. Does anyone know of hosting companies that provide access to Tomcat or JBoss? Thanks.

-Paul