Datacenters informationsand ranking

Hello,

I've been looking for the last month and have understood that basically, to avoid any problems with hosting business you need to buy your server directly at the datacenter. Base on this I've started to look for information on datacenter and ranking in US and Canada and it is hard to get other info.

From what I know right now:
    servermatrix.com --> theplanet.com
    1and1.com --> 1and1 datacenter? (need confirmation)

Does anyone has more information in order to avoid any reseller between me and backbone provider. How to find this info?

Thanks for your time.
    Frank

First of all, the datacenters you mentioned are not "backbone" providers. Companies like AT&T, MCI, Sprint etc.. those are backbone providers. A dedicated server provider is basically a bandwidth reseller that does in a much much larger proportion. Some companies happen to own their own datacenter as well. 1and1 is the largest of the dedicated server providers, they own 4 datacenters, 1 in the US and 3 in europe. ServerMatrix(The Planet) owns their own in texas. Some others that own their own are Ev1Servers.net (they own 2), Nocster(BurstNET) - nocster.net, sagonet.com, those are a few of the larger names...

just to clarify your question, you are trying to find a host with their own datacenter so that you are not going through a reseller? What is that you are trying to obtain or avoid? Going through a reseller is not necessarily a bad thing. Especially if you are able to find one that can provide more specialized service/support.

Sorry, maybe my word are not exact but here what I'm looking for.
    I want to eliminate multiple layer of reseller ( as service ). I want to find a web hosting server, procure really secure and reliable services to my customers. Reliability, protection and security and the things I'm looking for. When these is too many people between you and the first provider, anyone in the chain can break a link... (take the money and close)

Thanks

that is 100% correct!
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

That is not true. A place like at edeltacom, a 300,000+ sq. ft. datacenter. Dinix houses its operations in there and dinix has nothing but happy customers. If you start doing things like buying a server from someone who buys colo from someone who buys the bigger portion of colo from the datacenter. That gets bad. But a lot of people who colocate their business do just fine. FastServers has over 1000 servers colocated in the HE Fremont facility, it does not mean they are going to go out of business or scam anyone?

Hi fthidob,

Just a follow-up on your question.

A) Hosting directly with the "Backbone" provider does not ensure uptime, reliability etc... There is no rule that says the Backbone provider has an infrastructure to support the level of reliability you are looking for. Their are plenty of "Great Resellers" colocated w/poor Backbone providers. Conversly, if a backnone provider has a really robust network infrastructure, that does not automatically mean that the reseller in that data center has thier stuff together form a network / infrastructure standpoint.

B) Just because A "Reseller" colocates their servers in someone elses DataCenter does not denegrate or enhance the quality of service that they provide. More often than not as in the case of Dinix and Via Networks, they are both at e^deltacom and offer hosting solutions that are "Priced" below what you could get if you hosted directly with e^deltacom. For them It's an economies of scale question, as well as being colocated with and on a Tier 1 backbone provider.

I would reccommend focusing on the individual SLA of the prospective provider. That is where your real "Protection, Reliability and Renedies come into play.

Just my two cents...
    e^deltacom Carrier Class Data Center near Atlanta *Colocation and Managed Hosting
    We are a Tier-1 Facility * Providing Tier 1 Service for Web Hosts and Enterprise Clients
    Mark Reedy - Account Executivemreedy@edeltacom.com
    866-600-3266 Ext. 5199