Hardware Load Balancing?

Ok we have a few clients looking for some loadbalancing. Something lke a loadbalancer with 3 servers behind it with the same data on each of them(all static...nas later on, thats whole other thread). Now we could do the ghetto roundrobin dns but we rather not as if one box dies its pretty worthless. Any sugestions?

Thank you
    Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Cloud Servers | CDN
    1000 Gbps Network | New Jersey DataCenter

10,573 is your man

never tried it but from what i can see around and read about it, its a killer
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

how important are your clients?
    if they are willing to spend the money on a good load balancer than hardware is the way to go. If they are not all that generous but still think they need loadbalancing, you might take a look at pure loadbalancer.
    It works very well in my experience. You just have to watch it, as it becomes a single point of failure (so does any other loadbalancer though). It isnt hard to have a standby machine with the exact same config to drop into place if it fails (again, if the clients are important enough that they need that)

you know, there are software load balancing solutions that tend to be a lot cheaper is a good start i've played with this in non production enviroment. works quite well

ServerIron is nice if you're pushing enough traffic to justify the cost. At a lower price point, Linux Virtual Server project and/or Linux HA can give you very nice results.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

honolulu, hi
    Depending on the failover time you need all you'd need to do is drop you TTLs and set up a script to monitor the three boxes and modify the DNS zone file based on the server avaliablility.

Of course, if you need seemless failover that won't work. The above solutions are all good. I've also used BigIP in the past with good success.

Cary, NC
    I have to agree with brianca - I've used several methods, from DNS round robin to other software solutions, and the F5 Big IP hardware has performed the best. While a big proponent of Linux and open source - the last time I tried that solution it was not ready for prime time - high traffic loads. My last Data Center job we deployed several Big IP installations, including one with dual Big IPs in fail over mode 11 Dell 2650s web servers tied into 4 Sun sunfire 480s (2 DB and 2 App servers). The set up was rock solid. But you'll spend some hard capital on such a setup.
    If you have any further questions please feel free to drop me an email.

tackett at
    Your Safe Harbor in Cyberspace (tm)
    Linux Reseller Hosting with Fantastico!