Question Problems transferring domain

I registered my domain name back in '99 with NetRocket. Last year I tried to transfer my domain to another registrar as Netrocket wanted to charge me $49.95 to renew my registration. Actually they charged my credit card without informing me or even my permission. When I called to speak to the them, I got Mark DeFoyd, who I guess was the owner/manager. His name shows as the Tech contact on my domains WHOIS page. He told me he would not give me my money back but would be happy to transfer my domain for a charge of $100. When I started to tell him how ridiculous that was he hung up on me. Then he wouldn't answer the phone or email. Since I felt like he had me over a barrel I let it go. Money was tight at the time and I wasn't up for pissing away $100 or a legal battle.

NetRocket is now no longer around. Emails to Mark DeFoyd bounce. The phone number is no longer valid either. NetRocket was a reseller for MelbourneIT.com in Australia. When NetRocket went under, Mark DeFoyd changed my Admin contact email to an invalid address. My attempts to transfer my domain to a registrar in the US have so far failed as all emails to that Admin address bounce. I have sent several emails to MelbourneIT for help from them, as they are now listed as my domains registrar. They have all gone unanswered.

What else can I do about this?

After the domain expires, the registrar holds it usually 40 to 90 days and then releases it. You can wait until your domains is released and then register it again through whatever registrar you like.
    Solid-Hosting.net - affordable multiple domain hosting solutions
    Reliability and Customer Service are our focus!

Is there any way to legitimately change my Admin email address without going through the current registrar? Can ICANN help me? How about internic? Isn't there some sort of regulatory body that I can file a complaint with?

Except a lawsuit there's no other way I can think. Try calling MelbourneIT.com, not just emailing them.

Maybe someone else has ideas?

If they weren't in Australia, I would have called them already. NetRocket had been based in Las Vegas. I guess I can find a way to call them collect... Plus I'd have to call them in the middle of the night due to the time difference...

Well,

I guess if you're not willing to spend a couple of bucks on an international phone call then I guess this domain is not so important to you after all

Yeah, that's constructive advice...

My friend, I gave you all the advice I could. Now it's up to you to get your domain back. It seems you spend more time finding reasons why you can't do it, than finding a way to get your domain back.

Originally posted by CCaputo
    Yeah, that's constructive advice...
    Its honest advice if your looking to keep this domain
    UrlRedo.com - short URL service

this should be in the domains forum btw
    UrlRedo.com - short URL service

Yassi, save the criticism for when it's truly warranted, please. Also, they weren't asking about domain expiration, they were asking about how to get control of their domain, two very different aspects.

CCapato, if your mailing address and company name are the same on your whois information as it is now, you can usually fax a letter on company letter head requesting them to change the admin email address. There may also be a policy in place where the registrar themselves will call the contact phone number to verify that they're reaching the correct person. As much as I hate Network Solutions, they've done a good job on getting contacts back in touch with their domains this way.

I hope you've gotten a chargeback against the twit that did this to you, it's absolutely insane and inane that they were trying to charge you an additional $100 just to change ownership. Even registrar transfers don't cost that much, nor do ownership changes.

Good luck with this, CCaputo, and please feel free to let me know if you need any more help.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

Originally posted by TRN Douglas
    Yassi, save the criticism for when it's truly warranted, please. Also, they weren't asking about domain expiration, they were asking about how to get control of their domain, two very different aspects.

CCapato, if your mailing address and company name are the same on your whois information as it is now, you can usually fax a letter on company letter head requesting them to change the admin email address. There may also be a policy in place where the registrar themselves will call the contact phone number to verify that they're reaching the correct person. As much as I hate Network Solutions, they've done a good job on getting contacts back in touch with their domains this way.

I hope you've gotten a chargeback against the twit that did this to you, it's absolutely insane and inane that they were trying to charge you an additional $100 just to change ownership. Even registrar transfers don't cost that much, nor do ownership changes.

Good luck with this, CCaputo, and please feel free to let me know if you need any more help.
    Yeah maybe CCaputo can send a fax collect to Australia

Speaking of twits...

Yassi, just let it go. You couldn't help me, so go find someone else to annoy