Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow My forum is dead! How are your forums doing?

Not long ago I started a party forum on ezboard called Shenanigans. I made it just for fun, advertised it on Fark, got alot of hits, but hardly anybody joined.

It's deader than dead, just a couple of people posting on it right now. The first few days of it's existance I recieved an average 800 hits a day because of the ad on Fark.com, but since the forum was in it's infancy (Didn't look like it does now), hardly anybody joined, maybe because there's one too many of these forums, stupid content, ect... I'm dropping it now, no use beating a dead horse.

So, how are your forums doing?

Erm, considering my site has been down for the past 6 days, it seems to be dead as well xD

starting a forum is very hard.......I wish I had of started one in 1998, then I would have been going alright

That sucks! Aea, who's your host? Don't want to make the mistake of picking them!

How many members does your forum have. Hopefully you don't loose them because of this.

Actually it's a very good host, they just had a couple issues with nac moving me to my server. 197 members, however 2331 posts

Seems like they're having some major issues, specially since your site is still down. I would drop them like a bad habit, like today, since it's taken them this long to fix the problem.

Think about it, many of your members probably think your forum is down for the count. Everyday you're losing members, specially since all they see everyday is nothing.

A good host would have your site up and running in a matter of hours, not days! It's seems like they don't have a backup of your site, or a backup server to put you back online because they don't want to spend the money!

I hope for your sake you have your own backup of your site and forum, if not then I wish you luck.

We have about 200 members, 10,000 posts in 5 months.

Our key has been stability and guiding the forum to a good enviroment to discussing business instead of the everyday flaming wars that go on in 99% of the forums

Your site must have original content that you can relate to your forums. Offer special services to your users who are active in the forums.

When I was 11 or so, I started a forum on ez-boards. It died about 2 years ago, but not before 30,000+ posts were posted. If I had known how successful it actually was, I never would've let it die, I would've advertised, hell, I'd a taken it off of ezboards. But no, I was 11, and it was just another forum to me.

http://pub19.ezboard.com/bmonkeyhall

Wow. I really wish I had actually advertised or put advertising on it.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

well my forum had 170+ users, but was getting dead, so i sold it

I have a few forums. My most successful forum was started July 27th, 2003 and currently has 365 members and 5,740 posts with a average of 40,000 hits per day.

Then again I have a forum with 2 members and only 40 hits per day. But I have not actively promoted it either and is very niche/specialized in it's target market.

I ave other forums with anywhere from 50 to 300 members which have been around for at least 2 years.
    Glen Millar
    Tyger Hosting Services
    http://www.tygerhosting.com
    Affordable Direct Admin Linux Hosting Since 2003

It my second day with my forums and I have 21 users... it is going great so far
    CEO Pixabit, Inc.

Here's mine.

Number of posts: 2295
    Posts per day: 97.74
    Number of topics: 362
    Topics per day: 15.42
    Number of users: 117
    Users per day: 4.98
    Board started: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:19 am

And still growing.

Oh, and here's the forum I use to talk to some of my friends and test modifications.

Number of posts: 483
    Posts per day: 10.85
    Number of topics: 70
    Topics per day: 1.57
    Number of users: 27
    Users per day: 0.61
    Board started: 28 Feb 2004 05:21
    Last edited by rrkgargkargekjag; 04-12-2004 at 01:57 PM.

I get a post or so when nobody decides to read my manuals and such, but I do get an occasional post with something new.

Otherwise, my forum is dead. 1000-1100 page views daily (mostly in my downloads pages) and I average 1 post every 4-5 weeks.

Our users have posted a total of 1179 articles.
    Most users ever online was 8 on Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:23 pm
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

Here's my forum:

http://pub151.ezboard.com/bshenanigans9107

Founded: January 12, 2004
    Total Posts: 192
    Daily Visits: 22
    Total Visits: 8107
    21 Registered Members

I would've had more members if my site looked like it does now when I first launched it. Was thinking about advertising it again on Fark since that's where I got the bulk of my hits the first week, but I think I'm wasting my time.

Had one post to my forum in about six months of existance, and I had to ask a couple of friends to post something just to get the one post!

web worm good job with yours
    CEO Pixabit, Inc.

Hey webwormx, could you provide a link to your forum?

What is it about?
    Last edited by HostQuest; 04-12-2004 at 02:16 PM.

It is easy to get a forum off to a strong start, but is more difficult to keep the momentum going. Wait for a year plus to judge your success.

Registered Members: 64,145
    Total Threads: 255,725
    Total Posts: 2,000,513

67,597 registered members
    3,156,278 posts in 804,238 topics
    There are currently 709 people online

I think we are doing pretty good

Ok so maybe I don't count

Congrats The Prohacker!

Think you can direct some my way?

Sure. It's for a popular Lineage 2 guild that a friend of mine runs. I don't play Lineage 2 myself, but I manage the forum for him.

http://zizon.destiniesonline.com

And this is the forum I plan to use for my Ultima Online shard, but as my shard is not open to the public yet, it now serves as a place for me to test phpbb modifications and for my friends to talk to eachother.

http://www.destiniesonline.com/forum

Thanks for the comments.

What is the best way to advertise for a forum?
    CEO Pixabit, Inc.

Originally posted by HostQuest
    Congrats The Prohacker!

Think you can direct some my way?

BTW those are WHT and DBforums

Get a banner ad and advertise on WHT, HttpTalk.com, and other forums. But if you don't have the money then do a link exchange with smaller similar forums to yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast