Good reliable hosting? Is it really out there?

Is it to much to ask for a hosting to keep its uptime promises? Are their really any companies out there? anybody have any suggestions? i've switched hosts like 7 times because they all been down at least 24 hours or more at a single time, yet they promise 99.9% uptime?

i run a forum website and it is hard to back-up/mirror when people post virtually non-stop all hours of the day. i want something they can come too and depend on to be up as a result i need a host that i can depend on to me up

can anyone give me some hosting companies that you have had PERSONAL experience with that rarely every go down, yet have generous package offerings?

thanks for your help

Hello,

Two that I have used, in the past, w/ few problems are matrixreseller.com and reseller-center.com.

What platform are you hosting on? This forum is an excellent place to locate and research quality providers. Try checking under the Offers section and you can try WHT's Host Quote tool located here.

Good luck w/ your search!

I am using Linux/Unix (same I guess, I dont know).

I tried the Host Quote tool but I dumped a host that I was using from that to

I would prefer a reseller hosting account that uses cPanel and runs on Linux

A lot of hosts in the Offers sections do the "500GB for $2.50!!" stunt and I have learned my lesson that you get what you pay for when it comes to hosting so I am looking for an inexpensive "expensive" host that has a pretty good package along with the 99.9% uptime

There are plenty. Just ask the hosts you are interested in for their uptime stats, if they have any.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Greetings:

There are a number of solid, reliable, providers who have been in business for five or more years.

A lot depends on is your budget in the right place.

Most, though not all, of the reliable hosting providers do charge $20 per month (not splitting hairs on the 19.9x providers) or more.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

A lot of hosts in the Offers sections do the "500GB for $2.50!!" stunt and I have learned my lesson that you get what you pay for when it comes to hosting so I am looking for an inexpensive "expensive" host that has a pretty good package along with the 99.9% uptime
    I could not agree more!

How much space/bandwidth do you need monthly?
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

I need about 2GB's of space and about 50 GB of bandwidth (my last usage was about 37GB so i need a little room).

I run a forum website for cell-phones and a lot of people upload their pictures and videos (no larger than 170k each) that they took with them

I guess Ill give that offers section another chance

I've always had good luck using http://www.serverseed.com The'yll do pretty much anything you need, such as installing perl modules if you need them. Great support too.
    AIM/MSN- nirkillerangel
    ICQ- 1248428229
    [email protected]
    http://www.killerangel.net

Originally posted by HeatStroke
    I've always had good luck using http://www.serverseed.com The'yll do pretty much anything you need, such as installing perl modules if you need them. Great support too.
    their plans look pretty promising. how long have you had them? have you had any downtime?

how is their support response time?

Originally posted by tanpisto
    their plans look pretty promising. how long have you had them? have you had any downtime?

how is their support response time?
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=258563
    AIM/MSN- nirkillerangel
    ICQ- 1248428229
    [email protected]
    http://www.killerangel.net

Talk to Gary over at dixiesys.com I have found them to be stable and reliable. Uptime has never been a issue for any sites I have/had with them.

Also check out their reseller plans as they can give you a lot of flexibility.

Another company I had good luck with was tera-byte.com. Good uptime and support as well.
    Glen Millar
    Tyger Hosting Services
    http://www.tygerhosting.com
    Affordable Direct Admin Linux Hosting Since 2003

I have a pretty big site (DevilU.com) for a small audience (Arizona State University students) I have been up for a couple and had no problems with my host sofar. They are actually based here in Tempe. I pay $3.99 a year for unlimited bandwidth and storage and I use 2.7 GB of space and get about 2.7 GB of traffic a day and I have no problems. Do not know about the SSL and dedicated hosting because I do not sell anything so have no need for it..

i've switched hosts like 7 times because they all been down at least 24 hours or more at a single time, yet they promise 99.9% uptime?
    While 24 hours of downtime are not good at all, one much understand two things:
    1. Any host will have downtime and sometimes extended downtime because of hard disk failure, DDOS attacks etc.
    2. An uptime guarantee doesn't say you'll get 99.9% of uptime each month without exception. A guarantee means that you'll be refunded (a certain amount) if the stated level of uptime is not met.

I've been with Dathorn.com for almost a year now.

Originally posted by reiko
    I pay $3.99 a year for unlimited bandwidth and storage
    $3.99 per year??? That wouldn't even cover our processing fees and like a half a support request let alone the costs of providing 2.7GB of disk space.

As stated in posts all over WHT, there is clearly no such thing as "unlimited" space or bandwidth.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz

Well I am serious. I know that hosting is not their primary business. They are a design and advertising company and I believe they also do corporate translation... But that is what I get and I am very happy with it. My site was down once in the 3 years and that for 3 hours on christmass eve at 11. They even sent us a warning about it a week ahead...

Well, who knows. Perhaps the host just hasn't gotten the clients to fill his available server resources yet and therefore does not care. But know this, as the host grows that price model is impossible to keep up. Where I live, I'd be lucky to buy lunch for $3.99 let alone pay for a year of any professional service :-).

Yes, your host most likely just had some "extra" space and bandwidth, and with no use for it is letting you use it for 4.00 per year. But hey, if you've found something that works for you - then why change it.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz

I have a pretty big site (DevilU.com) for a small audience (Arizona State University students) I have been up for a couple and had no problems with my host sofar. They are actually based here in Tempe. I pay $3.99 a year for unlimited bandwidth and storage and I use 2.7 GB of space and get about 2.7 GB of traffic a day and I have no problems. Do not know about the SSL and dedicated hosting because I do not sell anything so have no need for it..
    and your server is hosted at ev1 and its $4 a year or are you just pulling our leg?

I am not pulling your leg. I am just saying what I have and where I got it. That is what this forum is for, right?

I am not pulling your leg. I am just saying what I have and where I got it. That is what this forum is for, right?
    did you get it from a reseller of ev1's server's? could you post a link

There are a LOT of reliable hosting companies in the world... you have to really search and find them from the bottom feaders. I do admit it is very difficult to find a good hosting company.... Finding one to fit you may take weeks or even months...
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Hi Tanpisto,

I have personally tried http://www.nevidia.com on the Windows hosting plan

The service and hosting functionality is good. The price is also low.

Tanpisto, what are your hosting requirements?

Cristiano
    HostPulse.com - Hosting Directory & Tips
    Cheap Web Hosting
    ASP Hosting
    Domain Hosting

If you're running a forum where members post at all hours of the day, you might want to think about a dedicated server.

Dedicated server providers tend to be able to maintain around 99.95% network uptime. On top of that, a DDOS attack won't shut down your server unless it's directed at your site. (It might slow down the network, though.)

A good P4 on a decent network should run you around $100-$110/month. I think a P4 should be able to take care of a forum with several hundred members.
    Last edited by HostMidwest; 04-14-2004 at 12:15 AM.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!

Originally posted by affhosting
    If you're running a forum where members post at all hours of the day, you might want to think about a dedicated server.

Dedicated server providers tend to be able to maintain around 99.95% network uptime. On top of that, a DDOS attack won't shut down your server unless it's directed at your site. (It might slow down the network, though.)

A good P4 on a decent network should run you around $100-$110/month. I think a P4 should be able to take care of a forum with several hundred members.
    that is a good idea also.

but if a ddos attack is directed at my server that my site is on by itself, wont it still shut it down even though its not directed "towards" my site.

also is server management fairly easy?

that is a good idea also.

but if a ddos attack is directed at my server that my site is on by itself, wont it still shut it down even though its not directed "towards" my site.

also is server management fairly easy?
    Well, assuming only your site is on the server, I don't see why a 12-year old kid would get angry at a random IP address, unless of course, they're angry at your site. The odds of a hacker picking your server out of the thousands at your datacenter are very slim. On the other hand, you might want to be careful about being mean to an unstable computer geek on your forums.

If a server that shares a hub or switch with you gets DDOSed, you might have a massive slowdown in connection speeds. Your visitors will complain. However, your actual server will be unaffected. (If it's a really sophisticated attack, the network might go down on you.)

Managing a server can be a piece of work; it's a 24 hour job. Parents who are hosts say it's kind of like taking care of a kid on a smaller scale. However, you can hire a reputable 3rd party (such as the linux guy) to manage your server for around $30/month.
    Last edited by HostMidwest; 04-14-2004 at 12:45 AM.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.

Geez...

"UNLIMITED EVERYTHING HOSTING FOREVER- $0.50"
    Ebay.com

Good old ebay. Isn't the listing cost 1$?
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

The company I got it from is DreamWorks Designs and they have a website dreamworksdesigns.com They seem to still offer the deal I have...