Companies that manage servers for others

Hi,

I read a post before that listed down the companies (I remember three) and responsible persons that can manage the dedicated servers for others. Could somebody give me a link or post the answer again here?

Thanks and best regards
    seekhosting
    My friends, it's nice to know that you are there when I need you.

I've been in contact with this company , pre sales emails have been great... sorry I can't comment on actual experience with them.

**(url deleted - I don't want to get banned already!)**

I am nearly ready to sign up though! :-)

(wont let me post the url?!)
    Last edited by accyroy; 04-12-2004 at 07:34 AM.

From the rules page.
    Participants must make five (5) posts before allowed by the system to include a URL in their posts
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/misc.p...on=forum-rules

Check serveradminz.biz or rack911.com

or phpdeveloper / thelinuxguy

wemanageservers.com fastserversmanagement.com www.touchsupport.com
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Greetings:

Here is a partial list:

Huck and his team at http://www.rackaid.com/

Mouse and his team at http://www.easyservermanagement.com/

Steve at http://www.rack911.com/

Ryan at http://www.rfxnetworks.com/

gpan at http://www.cheetaweb.com/

You should check out each one by email as well as telephone.

Do not -- I repeat do not -- just do it by email.

Body language makes up most of our communication; and at least by phone you get tone of voice, and you can get a feeling for whether or not you can trust the company.

Prior to signing any contract, do ask for references; and check those by phone as well (the above companies have decent reputations; however, I would not be surprised by other companies who give you references whose email addresses go back to them <g> ).

Fees can vary based on whether you are contracting for one time projects or recurring work; written service level agreements which have guaranteed response times along with payback to you for quality work not performed can also be an impact to the fees paid.

I cannot speak for any of the companies listed above, but I know we have an easier time quoting for work when we are given examples of the type of work required.

Just saying "I need a server managed" often does not provide the information necessary to provide an accurate quote.

Do ask how long various tasks take to perform; and then gauge that back to the rate or fixed fee quoted. Does the hourly rate make sense? If something sounds too good to be true, it might be too good to be true.

For example, I believe it would be fair to state that doing a good job securing a server that was never worked on (by the company or individual doing the securing) would take two to three hours doing the work by hand.

NOTE: Yes, stuff can be automated; but then how much is missed in terms of red flags or warnings because of pure copy and paste or lack of quality checks and reviews through the process.

If some one is charging $50 to secure the server, and they tell you it will take three hours, then they are making $16.67 per hour.

That may sound like a lot, but a system administrator who has 5+ years of experience typically commands a starting (key word) salary of $50,000 per year plus full time benefits including sick time, personal time, vacation time, 401K (or comparable), etc.

That often adds up to a value of $67,000 a year ($50,000 base plus benefits et all) which translates into $32.05 per hour.

And given that most consultants are not 100% billable in terms of their time; a consultant is often told to take the yearly rate they desire and divide by 1,000 hours instead of 2,080 (40 x 52).

So then you have the full time server admin working for themselves who needs to pull in at least $75,000 (benefits are more expensive if you are just you, yourself and you) to make a similar salary they made when working for some one else.

And that $75,000 divided by the 1,000 billable hours translates to $75 per hour.

So that two to three hour server hardening, in the very least, should run $150 to $225 (if not more considering they may have a lot more than 5 years experience).

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Hi all,

Thanks for your information and kind assistance.

Best regards
    seekhosting
    My friends, it's nice to know that you are there when I need you.

I'd also check out AngelNetworkz.net's management plan. Donna and her team are great, and they're friendly as well.

-Josh

never thought there is female unix admins

well atlest they don't exist in kuwait or might arab world _yet_
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

www.rack911.com, run by thelinuxguy here on WHT, a review of them is @ http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=255042

Due Diligence

Good Management Companies
    Do your homework. Two years ago there were not as many companies that focus on the unmanaged dedicated server market. Now it seems that new groups (people) pop up daily.

I am actually working on a article regarding selection criteria. Some things to look for:

Online References:

Search:
    Search the web and newsgroups for the company name and key players. Though not authorative, the volume, time-span and nature of the posts can provide you with insight.

Whois:
    Does the whois data make sense. Do the names on the records match up with names of the people running the company?

Forums:
    Forums such as this one can be good start to get quick easy feedback; however, it is buyer beware, especially at smaller sites. You should be wary of shill posters, digruntled clients, affiliate programs and similar extremes. Pay attention to who is making the recommendation. Note that these forums are largely unmoderated --- comments are rarely verified.

Third Party Validation:
    There are many third party groups that can vouch for the legitamacy of a biz. Verifications ranges from simple solution like true ID seals provided by companies like Verisign and Geotrust to more complete picture provided by groups like the BBB and Dun And Bradstreet.

I've collected about 20 more tips but will save them for the article.

We save you time, money, and frustration by handling the server management tasks required to run an online business successfully.
    No prodding required. We just do it right the first time. Red Hat, MySQL, Plesk, and cPanel certified staff.

I have been looking at angelnetworkz for my server AND security. Any thoughts?

Mmm go w/ rack911 (thelinuxguy) you really can't go wrong w/ him
    Max
    Web Hosting Talk Community Guide