Thread: Carpal Tunnel

Carpal Tunnel

Well my wrist/hand/thumb has been sore now for a week and I am thinking it might be carpal tunnel, has anyone ever had problems with this? What did u do to stop making it hurt whenever you try to grab anything, or do up buttons, etc?

I am not very old so this won't be good in the future.

I guess that is what I get for spending 12+ hours on the computer everyday.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof

Switch hands.

Originally posted by timechange.com
    Switch hands.
    Best idea! I somtimes even try to use different fingers for my mouse. And NEVER use those 'arm rest for your mouse arm things' ... they only make it worst IMO
    Brad Baker www.rochen.com
    Rochen - True Premium Shared & Reseller Hosting since 2000
    Better Support: Expert support 24/7 from Red Hat and Cisco Certified Engineers
    Joomla! Core Team Member Joomla Tutorials

Well... I've never had Carpal Tunnel, but my suggestion would be to take Tylenol or Advil for the pain. You should probably look into getting some of those gel things to protect your wrist from further harm.

Good luck, and hope it gets better.

Originally posted by badbaker.com
    Best idea! I somtimes even try to use different fingers for my mouse. And NEVER use those 'arm rest for your mouse arm things' ... they only make it worst IMO

I don't think that timechange.com was thinking about anything to do with a computer..ha

But on a serious note, I have it also, my mother had it, my sister had it, get the surgery and you wont have to worry about it, ill be going next winter for it so I dont miss any sports this summer.

I don't think that timechange.com was thinking about anything to do with a computer..ha
    I always like to see the best in people....
    Brad Baker www.rochen.com
    Rochen - True Premium Shared & Reseller Hosting since 2000
    Better Support: Expert support 24/7 from Red Hat and Cisco Certified Engineers
    Joomla! Core Team Member Joomla Tutorials

They have great wrists supports for this. Also, the biggest cause of CT is the movement from your keyboard to your mouse and back again. The shorter you make the movement the better.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Thanks for the ideas. I agree about the gel wrist rests....I can't stand them either... How long does the surgery put you out of action for?

Left handed might work....would be really confusing though.

Thanks for the ideas guys. The best part is it doesn't hurt when I am using it at the computer, only the other 2 hours I am awake during the day.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof

The best thing you can do is not do anything that aggrivates it but this may not be ideal for most of the people here.

The next best thing you can do is take periodic breaks to rest your wrist and hands. I do this and it works pretty well. A 10-15 sec break every hour seems to help me.

Wrist supports also help some people, but they don't work with me.

Just my $0.02
    Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) Brain Cancer Awareness. May is Brain Cancer awareness month. Gray Matters!
    Incurable, 6-18 months prognosis, survivors longer than 3 years less than 1% chance.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

Best this is go to a doctor, they can tell you if you in fact have it or not, I do not like to guess

Derrick
    ResellerEdge.com - High Quality Reseller/ Multiple Domain Hosting.

My father had surgery on his wrists and elbows for severe never compression.. He had surgery almost a year ago and is still having problems.. Of course his was/is very bad, and they could not fix it completely but once you have the surgery you cannot have it again...

Really as long as it hurts, you haven't received nerve damage, its when they go numb you need to be extremely worried..

The doctor is the best bet, more than likely they will give you exercises, etc.. Surgery is generally the last option...
    -Mat Sumpter
    Director, Product Engagement
    Penton Media

See a doctor ASAP. Carpal Tunnel/Repetitive stress injuries are very serious, particularly if you feel numbness -- like your hand is asleep. That indicates nerve damage and it's permanent.
    There are a lot of things that cause it. It depends on how your nerves and muscles and tendons are connected. A doctor can help you sort things out and suggest ways to correct or prevent it. Sometimes it just needs a change of position, swapping a mouse for a trackball or other things.
    One thing that does help is wearing braces at night. It sounds weird, but it can make a major difference. You can get them at Walmart or similar places. They're the heavy, stiff braces that fit over your hand and wrist. Wear them while you sleep. It can make a noticeable difference in just a few days.
    Also take Aleve or Aspirin or another type of pain reliever that also reduces swelling. The pain is caused by the nerve and tendon sheafs getting irritated and swollen which just irritates them more. Tylenol doesn't do anything for swelling.
    But you really need to see a doctor. If you put it off, you can lose the use of your hands.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups

this may be a far out idea but bear with me ok.......

Go and see your doctor, what you asking us for we have no idea and even if a real doctor was on here they would not diagnose you without seeing you in person........

Get an ergonomic keyboard... now my right wrist is fine....

It used to hurt to shoot a basketball, throw a football/baseball,etc... now I can do all three of them...

Rob
    CEO Pixabit, Inc.

Hi guys,

I've had carpal tunnel problems for 3 or 4 years now. The first thing you need to do is to make sure your wrists are at the same level as your mouse. Look at your wrist sideways when you're using your mouse -- if it looks like this:

_/

...then you have a problem. Fix it in the best way you can. I use a little leather pad next to my mouse. It's actually this one (the leather one at the bottom of the page.) I picked it up for $12 or so at Fry's.

Also, mouse supports, a new chair, etc. will help keep the problem from getting worse, but they may not stop the problem completely. Every night when I go to bed, I wear a wrist brace. You can pick them up at any drugstore for under $20. I wear it all night when I'm not using the computer. You would be amazed at how much it helps. Advil and ice will reduce the inflammation, but these are temporary and are not to be confused with changing your behavior to avoid the problem.

It's also worth a shot to remember to simply remove your hand from the mouse when you're not using it. I used to keep a tight grip on the mouse at all times. No more. I also scroll through webpages with the arrow keys instead of with the mouse wheel. This has alleviated a lot of stress on my hand.

If you're feeling pain in your wrist, you need to do something now before it gets worse. Change your chair; get a mouse wrist pad... and above all, wear that brace every night while you sleep. The only way it will get better is if you consciously change your behavior... you can't just hope that it will go away, or eventually you will face something much more serious that may require surgery to fix.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

How to beat tunnel carpel

Hello,

I am working on the computer all the time as a 3d animator, web designer etc.

One of the ways I beat tunnel carpel is to lift heavy weights.

I go to the gym and pick up barbells, (not the machines) this requires
    all of my muscles and tendons in my wrists and strengthens them.

A few times at the gym and you are golden. My brother started to have pain, and he juggled pins. You would expect this to work out the wrists heavily; he said the pain was gone when he got home.
    (it took him 2 hours to juggle the pins with out dropping. (For one round))

My only point is, it is your muscles getting itchy from micro movements. Therefore, using heavy weights strengthens, or juggling, balls, pins, whatever, but its different motions on the wrist that force the muscles to grow different, and heal different.

Get a muscle fitness magazine, or go to library and get books on how to do exercise for the wrists. Gripping exercises also help.

VitoVonAntwon

I bearly move my wrist, or hand for that matter when moving the mouse. I use the scroll wheel to scroll down the page.

My mouse is super sensitive tho.
    Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is...
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

Can you get it in your elbow too? I think i might have it in my hand and elbow. My doctor said it was tendonitis though.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

I had it and it would hurt bad. I did two things. One is I keep my hand and wrist as straight as possible to my arm and the second is I use my right hand for my mouse at work and my left hand for my mouse at home.
    Alvin

One of the ways I beat tunnel carpel is to lift heavy weights.
    If lifting heavy weights fixed your carpel tunnel then you do not have carpl tunnel as it has nothing to do with your muscles. The problem stems from a hole in your wrist where your nerves go through. When people move the wrist a lot it aggravates the nerves going through this hole and your nerves swell up making the pain even worse. To fix this problem you either need to move your wrist less (use your arm more to move your mouse or get a roller ball type mouse) or you have surgery where they open this hole up more.
    Alvin

Guys.. i strongly suggest using the following product.
    It's called the "powerball"
    basically, it sterngthens your wrist.
    Bowlers and golfers use it.
    I just bought it because it looks like a fun way to strengthen ones wrist.
    Check it out -> http://www.powerballs.com/powerball_images.php

Lets all move to a keyboard-based OS!

Otherwise, I still don't see why people use mice. A sturdy wrist-wrest with a trackball will make it so only your fingers are moving, and your wrist only for mouse/keyboard hopping.

I started suffering from a pain that I would feal in my forearm when lifting weights. My wife, who is a doctor, said that it looks like it could be carpal tunnel. She suggested taking ant-inflamitories, like Advil.

Not long after that, I took a vacation for about two months and the pain went away. Now when I type, I focus more on keep good posture and it hasn't come back.