Talking UK Web Hosts - General Opinions

Hi folks
    I have searched the forums for some UK webhosts out of interest and have discovered some useful things. Just looking for a little more info. I am looking for a UK-based host for a friend and they can have their servers here (UK) or in the US - I do not mind

I have looked at United Hosting and Webfusion, Fasthosts and Meir Hosting. I have heard some dodgy things about fasthosts but was wondering if many people have had good experiences with them? Looking for general experiences on those hosts and any other suggestions on other hosts.

Sorry for asking so many questions.

Thanks in advance,
    flubber
    Last edited by flubber; 04-11-2004 at 04:25 PM.

I've tried Webfusion a few years ago and they had very good quality service, excellent uptime and good support. That was until they "accidently" wiped our entire account and could not restore it from the backup so we moved away and since then the site is on our own server.

United Hosting are very popular around here so you are bound to get a few comments.

You might also like to look at www.findyourhost.co.uk for more UK hosts.
    Steve

Fasthosts are pretty appaling from past experience. Use them if you want your website to slow down to a halt at least a dozen times a day.
    Olly | INX-Gaming
    Call of Duty 4 hosting

Id highly recommend United Hosting, I continuously hear great things about them

Webfusion are supposed to be good, although the only person I know who has had an account with them, had a terrible experience with them, they were down quite reguarly.

Fasthosts ive only heard bad things about.

Ive never heard of Meir Hosting, so I cannot comment on them.

Good luck whatever you decide
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

I always do, so I might as well carry on recommending UH, especially for their support and professional attitude.
    Of course there might be better as your priorities could be different. For me, with not too much technical knowledge, support is a must, and I like the fact that it also comes through public forums.

Ive never used webfusion but they do seem to be a little on the expensive side of things, Ive never used fasts hosts either but i do use webfusions dom reg company (123reg) and fast hosts domreg company (ukreg) and both of them are ok and they seem to operate a professional service.
    I've heard a lot of bad stories about fasthosts hosting though.

I second that. One of my existing clients recently switched from Fasthost, from what i was told their server are REALLY slow and uneliable, at one point his site was going down regularly.
    Richard Kelly
    Host Current
    www.hostcurrent.com

i have been with united hosting for the past year, the service is spectacular, i highly recommend them.

There are plenty of other good UK hosts out there - but really, you need to ask yourself whether UK based servers versus US based servers is really an issue.

There are plenty of other good UK hosts out there - but really, you need to ask yourself whether UK based servers versus US based servers is really an issue.
    Well said Brian. If it's not an issue I don't see a serious reason to limit the search to UK hosts. I might be missing something though...

Actually, there is the issue of not being ranked on Google.co.uk for a search of "pages in the UK".

I'm actually in the process of moving all my sites from the US to UK servers precisely because of this. The potential marketing advantages far outweigh the otherwise small increase in cost.

The reasons Brian mentions are a reason why I'm fussed about location. If you are running an online store, or selling anything in the UK, the potential lost business far outweighs the sometimes, increased hosting costs.
    Olly | INX-Gaming
    Call of Duty 4 hosting

If you have a co.uk domain then it should affect things.
    Steve

Originally posted by [inx]Olly
    The reasons Brian mentions are a reason why I'm fussed about location. If you are running an online store, or selling anything in the UK, the potential lost business far outweighs the sometimes, increased hosting costs.
    If you have a .co.uk domain it will still list you in uk search engines. This rule only works against you for hosting .com / .net etc.
    Shared Hosting - Servers in the US and the UK
    Reseller Plans - For ultimate reliability
    WebAttention.net - Hosting made easy

That's correct.

For me though- my domains are all either .com or .net so I don't have any choice
    Olly | INX-Gaming
    Call of Duty 4 hosting

Hosting

Fasthosts... very average. Many of the features are actually "extras" you have to buy when you have signed up.
    Hosted sites often seem to run at a snails' pace. Seen a lot worse but also better hosts out there.

Donhost... got panned a few years ago on the web but seemed to have got their act together over the last 18 months. Very quick support and good uptime. I would recommend Donhost highly but make sure you read the Terms carefully as they stick to them rigidly.

UnitedHosting... I've got a Linux Reseller account with UH. Everything was fine until recently. I often measure good hosting by the amount of times you need to contact the support to rectify problems. Up until a few days ago, I don't think I've needed to contact them once in the best part of a year.
    However, I am currently having a real nightmare with them and have an outstanding ticket which they are not dealing with effectively, meaning many e-mail accounts are out of action on client accounts. This is making us look awful. I have sent e-mails just for an estimate or update on what is going on but received nothing.
    I'll reserve judgment for a week or so on these guys.

VirtualISP - Support is a little sluggish and the support documentation and control panels look amateurish , but the uptime is excellent and have had very problems. Recommended.

WWWServer - Found the support very good but the uptime a little iffy.

I've also heard Vibus are pretty good.

However, I am currently having a real nightmare with them and have an outstanding ticket which they are not dealing with effectively, meaning many e-mail accounts are out of action on client accounts.
    I tried to find out who you might be, but failed.

Please email me your issue personally and ill see what the hold up is. Having undergone a big server move I thought most outstanding issues had been dealt with.

([email protected]).

Sorry for any inconvenience and thanks for your patience.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Donhost are a top outfit these days.

Ben
    Ben Doherty
    Web Development Director
    Orbital Net Ltd - www.orbital.net Leading UK Internet Solutions Provider
    Hosting | Colocation | Dedicated Servers | National ADSL | Leased Lines | Wireless Broadband

Fasthosts: Very expensive for what you get, but reliable in that support is always a phone call away. The odd glitch on the server is usually quickly sorted, not that there should be any glitches for 500 pa.

Webfusion: We have just one site there, but it's fast and has never been down!

United: Don't know. Some negative vibes recently on here, and I'm not sure if they are truly 24x7, but could be worth a look.

Donhost: Ben's comment surprises me. We only have one site there, and no downtime, but receiving an email at Christmas basically telling me support was closing down... yeh. And at 400 pa I would expect a guy on the phone 24x7.

Meir Hosting: Never heard of 'em.

I think you might elaborate as well by what you mean by UK. Is this a front ind in the UK for servers in the US? Or is it UK front end with UK data centre? The above hosts are a mixture of these.

I tend to go with US hosts simply because they often offer more cost effective packages, and as we have a lot of hosts, there are more big data centers there.
    My Reviews of 30+ Hosts
    Can Also Be Seen On My Page at TekSalon

The Meatrix: Welcome to the real world

500 pa for webhosting with Fasthosts? Are you talking about their reseller plan? Their general hosting doesnt seem to overpriced to me.

As regard to shutting support down at Donhost, i dont know much about that. Although im sure Daniel and the team would have been aswering e-mails. Although i cant say.

Ben
    Ben Doherty
    Web Development Director
    Hosting | Colocation | Dedicated Servers | National ADSL | Leased Lines | Wireless Broadband

You might want to look at a UK based host with US based servers as theoretically the price should be cheaper but you get people who work your hours and you dont really notice a speed difference with the servers being in the states

>> Are you talking about their reseller plan? <<

Yes, we have a reseller plan. Their single site plans start at around 50 pa.

>> As regard to shutting support down at Donhost, i dont know much about that. Although im sure Daniel and the team would have been aswering e-mails. Although i cant say. <<

I certainly CAN say. I received the email and it was quite a shock. And frankly, if an email tells me they have cleared off on holiday, I ain't about to take your word for it that they are answering emails 24x7.

That, and the price, told me to retreat from this particular host. As stated, for the price, I would have expected aggressive 24x7 support.
    My Reviews of 30+ Hosts

Originally posted by JenniH
    >> Are you talking about their reseller plan? <<

Yes, we have a reseller plan. Their single site plans start at around 50 pa.

>> As regard to shutting support down at Donhost, i dont know much about that. Although im sure Daniel and the team would have been aswering e-mails. Although i cant say. <<

I certainly CAN say. I received the email and it was quite a shock. And frankly, if an email tells me they have cleared off on holiday, I ain't about to take your word for it that they are answering emails 24x7.

If I remember rightly, it was telephone support that they shut down for a few days over Christmas, e-mail support was still available.

JenniH,

I never said you should take my word, as i said i couldnt say

Ben
    Ben Doherty
    Web Development Director

When a host is telling me support is, let's say, not perfect... however they dress it up, whatever froth they put on it... I am always going to run. There are too many better options.

I signed up with 3 new hosts over Christmas. They were all there the day after Chrsitmas Day (when I called them - great time for testing new hosts). Their support was pretty instant. No contest.

By the way, perhaps I jumped the gun defending FastHosts! Indredibly, today we have had a serious glitch for the first time. The support, which we desperately need, has been: now how shall I put this - I know - crap. Yes, a quick answer from the front line, but try to reach the actual techies!
    My Reviews of 30+ Hosts

United Hosting have a rock solid reputation on WHT.

Originally posted by nkisberg2000
    United Hosting have a rock solid reputation on WHT.
    We all need to speak as we find from personal experience. Unfortunately, I and about 30 others under my reseller have been without e-mail for several days using their services and it just isn't being resolved. It's very difficult not to look very stupid when it's not being resolved and their is nothing you can do about it.

I must add in their defence, I have had no problems for the 9 months prior to this incident but this is the first time I have asked for support and so far, it isn't pretty.

Thanks nkisberg2000, indeed we do.

Redfish, Nobody should have been "without email for several days". I find it very hard to believe. Please PM me your username and ill take a look at your situation rather than discuss it off-topic here.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Forgive me if i am wrong but Unitedhosting is not in the UK

Off their website.

Located in Houston, Texas
    Kinda defeats the point of looking for a UK host.

Originally posted by strongbow
    Forgive me if i am wrong but Unitedhosting is not in the UK

Off their website.

Kinda defeats the point of looking for a UK host.
    Its a full UK company though.

They have many many happy customers in the UK. They use EV1 because they are reliable and well priced. They also utilize many carriers which ensure the connections are good across the Atlantic.

I know of many happy UH clients, its VERY rare I hear of people having bad experiences with them. Id certainly recommend them to anyone
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Originally posted by Sash!
    Its a full UK company though.

They have many many happy customers in the UK. They use EV1 because they are reliable and well priced. They also utilize many carriers which ensure the connections are good across the Atlantic.

I know of many happy UH clients, its VERY rare I hear of people having bad experiences with them. Id certainly recommend them to anyone
    I was pointing out that they run US servers, I have just read the first post again, as I thought they were looking for UK Hosting, but they do say US or UK servers... My Bad.

* sooooooo bad

Fasthosts are really, really, really, bad. (I mean bad in the 'bad' sense, definitely not bad in the good sense).

It wasn't too long ago when I would have disagreed with you WoofWoof.

Nice human support front end. Very simple interface, albeit ridiculously expensive. But scratch the surface?

The nice human interface is great at telling you the server is being re-booted, but anything else... however simply? Dear me!

We waited 16 hours for a two minute script error (THEIR error) to be corrected. Spoke to 3 different 'front ends'. All the time the site wasn't usable.

The cause of the delay? Our 'request' was in a "queue" for the 'engineers' (!!!). Doesn't sound like they work overnight.

Yes, indeed, great. They call it "extreme support" in their adverts. Extreme is the right word, but not extremely good, rather extremely bad.

We have invested heavily in them. They are now in phase out mode.
    My Reviews of 30+ Hosts