Thread: Legal

Question Legal

I want to start a web hosting bussiness and i was just wondering what are the legal implications of this. Meaning that do I need a licence and so on.
    PS: I live in Canada.

Thanks in advance
    Eric

Hi. You don't have to register the business or anything until your revenue is $30,000 per year I believe. However you are better off to register it as a LLC to protect yourself and it makes your clients feel more comfortable. It depends how fast you are planning to start and other factors. Also it is a good idea to make sure there are no other companies with the same name, because when you do go to register it, if there is then you have a problem.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof

Yep thats pretty much 100% correct except for the 30k part its different in some places.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

$30,000 a year earnings threshold for business registration in Canada?

I didn't know that!

I am pretty sure that is what it is. Also of interest. Anyone you pay over $500 in a year is considered an employee and you need to pay taxes and take deductions from them - legally.....
    Greg Lubbelinkhof

Anyone? Does that include marketing affiliates? I.e. so any Canadian business, even if they have an independent contract or commissioned reseller, they need to pay them as an employee if they exceed $500 in annual compensation?
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

I think if it is another official business then it isn't the same thing. So if CDGCommerce pays $650 to John Doe's SEO Company then that is fine.... I am not sure how it works if it is a one time contract to a person who doesn't own their own company.....best to ask an accountant.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof