I'm LOST. Too much choices. I need advises.

Ok. I recently develloped a site using easyphp (its a package including mysql, phpmyadmin and apache) and phpnuke 7.1

Now as i was looking for a host i must say that i'm lost. I came across a bunch of host that offer 4-5$/month plans that include 100megs of space and 3-6gigs of bandwidth. Most offer unlimited everything.

Then i came across those other plans... 4-5$/month plans that include 500megs-1gig of space and 30-70gigs of bandwidth.

What's the difference? I mean if i can have 10 times what the other guy offer me i'll take it but what about security,service...
    Also can i buy the reseller plans even tho i plan to use it for my site only?

I don't know anything about hosting. I just want to have my web site hosted and i don't want problems. I guess i need the host to have support for phpnuke,phpmyadmin,myspl,apache. I'm not sure tho. If any1 could tell me what kind of support i need with the infos i gave it'll help me a lot. I want to pay 3-4-5$ a month.

Then what do i choose. Lots of host offer great plan:

gladhost: 4$/month with 1gig space and 20gigs usage

hostxl: 4.50$/month 1gig space and 70gigs usage

And there's a BUNCH of em

I really don't know what to do. Also i want to be able to move easily if there's too much problems.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Thread cleaned.

Please only comment on the above hosts if you have had first hand experience and recommend only those you have tried and tested. Thanks for your co-operation

I can't recommend any of those hosts to you, or any hosts in particular without looking suspicious (since I'm a web host myself), but I can advise you that

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php

Is your friend. If you have any doubts about a hosting company, or want to read past experiences, you can always enter their name into the search engine to see if there are any comments or past reviews from other members.

If you have any questions in particular about certain aspects of web hosting (since you said you don't know a lot about it), feel free to post in this forum, and most members here would be happy to help you.

Good luck in your search.

Re: I'm LOST. Too much choices. I need advises.

Originally posted by jenovax4
    Now as i was looking for a host i must say that i'm lost. I came across a bunch of host that offer 4-5$/month plans that include 100megs of space and 3-6gigs of bandwidth. Most offer unlimited everything.

Then i came across those other plans... 4-5$/month plans that include 500megs-1gig of space and 30-70gigs of bandwidth.

What's the difference? I mean if i can have 10 times what the other guy offer me i'll take it but what about security,service...
    Also can i buy the reseller plans even tho i plan to use it for my site only?.
    Why do you feel you need to take bigger plans for cheaper? If you were looking at smaller plans, then that is obviously all you need.

Perhaps you can let us know just what you plan on doing with your site and the members can guide you in the right direction as to your requirements.
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 04-11-2004 at 07:10 AM.

If you narrow it down to a SOLID list of hosts you want to go with, more people will be able to provide better guidance, some might even do the background checks of WHT experiences for you.

Otherwise, jenovax4, you can try http://www.webhostingtalk.com/request.php if all else fails, write down exactly what you want for your website, and exactly what you want to pay for it, and I'm sure you'll get a ton of offers, go with the one that looks like the most reputable company.

Okay. I understand. I'll use the search engine more. As for what i need well it's a website for gaming. So obviously there will be lots of members so i guess i'll need some bandwidth but how much i don't know as i have no idea of what 4-10-20 gigs of bandwidth represent. It's my first web site too. I need about 100megs of space now but that will probably be more in the future. I want it to be the cheaper possible (who wouldn't) but i don't want problems. 8$ is problably the highest i will go. I need suport for mysql and php.
    I'll try to build a list that you guys can comment and maybe choose from. I'll start with those 2 and update it as i browse the hosts. Thanks for the more than usual great support of this site.

Lunarpages.com shuttle plan
    emegaweb.net jumpstart plan
    frozenhosting.com entry package
    jaguarpc.com gigadeal
    Last edited by jenovax4; 04-11-2004 at 07:36 AM.

Well, bandwidth is measured by how much data is transfered when a user visits your website.

So if they visit 50 KB worth of web pages, access 10 KB worth of MySQL data and download 500 KB worth of Images while they are browsing your site, that one user is worth about 560 KB of bandwidth.

Just make a guesstimate in your head, based on how much bandwidth you think each member will consume multiplied by how many people you think will visit your website each day. You should get a plan that allows a generous amount of breathing room too, just in case your website grows faster then you expected, and so you won't have to upgrade right away if so. Which brings me to the next point, your host should allow you to easily upgrade your plans, make sure you're not trapped.

Lunar Pages is a very large, and fairly well regarded company, and that Shuttle plan looks like it would be sufficient for your website.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...der=descending

eMegaWeb has a good track record with WHT users, it appears to have had a slow and shaky connection after an upgrade, but the goods appear to outweigh the bads.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...der=descending

Happy hunting!

One option would be to start with smaller account. 10Gb of bandwidth max, as you really don't know how much traffic you will actually have. Sure, in a year's time the website might need much more than that, but get this for starters and get it from a serious, respected company.

Paying $1/Gb of data transfer is a good rule of thumb. Lunarpages seems to pull it off quite well offering a lot of space&data transfer at low prices, but they're more of an exception rather than the rule. you have to really careful about cheap hosts and carefully evaluate their reputation. Searching on this forum can be very useful in "investigating" hosting companies.

Good luck and "happy hunting", as interneat said!

Well i think i'll go with lunarpages. Bottom line, the reputation is good and 8$/month is little high compared to others but hey 800megs of space and 40gigs of bandwidth seems good to me. Also they were the fastest to respond to my e-mails so i guess the support isn't bad. So to every host companies that started to send me e-mails, you can stop now hehe.

I want to thanks everyone here for the GREAT support and help.
    I will reccomend this site as the 1st place to go before getting a host. Thanks

If it is going to be a gaming site and you are offering downloads you may want to pick a plan that has enough space and bandwidth right of the bat. Your site will grow. Take it from me I use to run a popular gaming site and space and bandwidth will be important to you.

Re: I'm LOST. Too much choices. I need advises.

Originally posted by jenovax4
    Ok. I recently develloped a site using easyphp (its a package including mysql, phpmyadmin and apache) and phpnuke 7.1

Also can i buy the reseller plans even tho i plan to use it for my site only?

I don't know anything about hosting. I just want to have my web site hosted and i don't want problems. I guess i need the host to have support for phpnuke,phpmyadmin,myspl,apache. I'm not sure tho. If any1 could tell me what kind of support i need with the infos i gave it'll help me a lot. I want to pay 3-4-5$ a month.

Then what do i choose. Lots of host offer great plan:

gladhost: 4$/month with 1gig space and 20gigs usage

hostxl: 4.50$/month 1gig space and 70gigs usage

And there's a BUNCH of em

I really don't know what to do. Also i want to be able to move easily if there's too much problems.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Your site is obviously important to you or you would not be here asking about this in the first place.

Here is something for you to consider. I'll use the $4.50-70 gigs as an example. Any host you check out has to buy their bandwidth from someone. Start looking upstream for how much that bandwidth actually costs.

If you look at their Datacenter and see that the lowest prices for a dedicated server are 30 cents a gig, then you know that the Host using their service and selling bandwidth for 6 cents a gig has a pretty lousy business plan. They are either losing 24 cents per gig of bandwidth or they are packing so many people on a server that performance will suffer.

Keep in mind that some Hosts that resell services for Datacenters can get better pricing, but use some comparisons to help you decide if a host is in business based on what people don't use or if the host has a solid business plan that will keep your site running along with out any issues...

Best of luck with your search...