Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Free upgrade from Raq3/4 to Raq550 ( PKG )

just install the pacakge in the Raq 3/4 , then wait .....
    and restore your raq550 CD on it .

FINISH > RAQ 550

Newest Rom PKG :
    cobaltfaqs.com/download/ROM-update-2.9.34-1.pkg

from URL : cobaltfaqs.com/download/

I don't think you can upgrade the rom so easily .
    many company has this kind of service but need $ 1xx USD .

I think the upgrade process must more complicated .

Does anyone has a experienced on it ?

When you have a working RaQ the process is that easy.

Mike

Hi,

Are you telling us that when we do the above, that our Raq 4 will behave exactly like a Raq 550?

Which means we must patch it using the 550 patches from the ground up etc.?

Thanks in advance.

BTW if anyone has tried it do let us know, I'm not sure if there is a way to reverse the Rom procedure.

It does work on a box here at work that i tried it on.

You can do it with just the 550 OS restore CD, it will upgrade the rom for you if needed.

We have done loads of them.

You will then use the 550 patches but the kernel ones do not work. You will have to get modified ones. Search the cobalt-users archives and you will find links for the patches.
    --

http://www.1stserv.com
    Plesk Platinum Partners

I've done some research and found some things if you want to consider a Raq550 OS on a Raq4.

- Choose correct hardware or fry your Raq4
    http://www.mail-archive.com/cobalt-d.../msg08485.html

- RPM PKGs - but do we insall the Kernels?
    ftp://ftp.cobalt.sun.com/pub/products/raq550/RPMS/

- There's another link for Kernels compiled from Raq550 sources but made for the Raq4, I will post it here when I find it (saved the link but now not sure where it is on my HD )

- Rom updates, again not sure which one to use for a Raq4 b4 installing Raq550 OS
    http://www.cobaltfaqs.com/download/

More to come when I find it thx.

Raq3/Ra4 to Raq550 upgrade.

For those of you who have done this upgrade:

Should you use the ROM upgrade pkg :ROM-update-2.9.34-1.pkg
    OR just let the Raq550 OSRCD do it for you?

If you use the ROM-update-2.9.34-1.pkg, do you install this first, while still in the Raq3/Raq4 state, then Netboot and install from the Raq550 OSRCD?

Any info on where to find the Kernel patches for this kind of upgraded machine?

I've seen several locations for the Raq550 OSRCD ISO image. Any one know of a "best version" and what location to find it?

cobalt.sun.com has two,
    259-3894-13-RaQ550.iso.gz being the newer(09-Oct-2003) , and
    259-3894-11-RaQ550.iso.gz dated 13-Jun-2002

Anyone know of an ISO file that has all the current PKG and updates in it? Is that the newest one at cobalt.sun.com?

Thanks in advance for any news here. I've got a couple of raq 3 and 4's I want to upgrade, but I want to do it right.

Eric

Ive done it. It works . I believe Tim Hockin wrote specific DIY details. I did mine about a year ago.

Great upgrade. No problems.f

Originally posted by hkivan
    I don't think you can upgrade the rom so easily .
    many company has this kind of service but need $ 1xx USD .

I think the upgrade process must more complicated .

Does anyone has a experienced on it ?

Great - can you share the Tim Hockins link or instructions?

Good luck patching BTW (the newly upgraded OS needs as much patches as the previous Raq4) Please share also if you encounter patches that are not relevant to the new OS thanks.

I've been using cobalts since 1998 with the Raq 1. Without a doubt, 550 is the best OS yet. I haven't had a single patch issue. My raq 3i with 550 OS has not crashed on me once.

Tim Hockin is the man! (just do a google for Tim Hockin. . . )

ftp://ftp-eng.cobalt.com/pub/users/t.../2.4/00_README

http://www.hockin.org/~thockin/cobalt-hack-faq.html

Originally posted by troff
    Great - can you share the Tim Hockins link or instructions?

Good luck patching BTW (the newly upgraded OS needs as much patches as the previous Raq4) Please share also if you encounter patches that are not relevant to the new OS thanks.

Upgrade RAQ4i to RAQ550???

Hello!!
    I have just readed this informations, and i am interested to Upgrade my RAQ4i to 550. Can somebody Tell me, web Sites on Server will be losed or not?
    And, How can I Install ROM-update-2.9.34-1.pkg from working RAQ4 with Admin Panel or how can I do that?
    I need Link for Modified Kernel if somebody have it.
    Where can I download most completed OS CD for RAQ550

Thanks a lot

Re: Upgrade RAQ4i to RAQ550???

Originally posted by jasacom
    Hello!!
    I have just readed this informations, and i am interested to Upgrade my RAQ4i to 550. Can somebody Tell me, web Sites on Server will be losed or not?
    And, How can I Install ROM-update-2.9.34-1.pkg from working RAQ4 with Admin Panel or how can I do that?

Thanks a lot
    Your sites would be lost (if I recall correctly).

It would be just like an OS reinstall.
    Paradox Web Hosting - codyw@paradox-group.com
    - Shared and Dedicated Hosting Solutions: www.paradoxwebhosting.com
    - Auto Sales Manager 2004 now available!: www.autosalesmanager.com

Re: Upgrade RAQ4i to RAQ550???

Hello!!
    I have just readed this informations, and i am interested to Upgrade my RAQ4i to 550. Can somebody Tell me, web Sites on Server will be lost or not?

Thanks a lot
    Thank you for your Answer. But can you tell em how can I install ROM-update-2.9.34-1.pkg , from Server Management Panel (with working RAQ, Install Sowtware) or how Can I do that??

Thank you again

This may help some of you ...
    http://the.taoofmac.com/space/HOWTO/...%20to%20RAQ550

In general you need to backup all sites (as your data will be lost).

Flash the ROM.

Restore using a Raq550 restore CD.

Restore your sites

Hope nothing goes wrong as a failed ROM flash can leave you with a dead box. If you do not have a socketed ROM chip, then you will need to get a new mother board (unless you are handy with a soldering iron).

Also be wary of some sites selling upgrade "kits". I know a person that bought one of these kits only to find that it consisted of a copied Raq 550 OS Retore CD (which may be illegal to redistribute without Sun's permission?) and a CD with the ROMS for various platforms. All of which can be freely downloaded. He page over a $150 for this "kit".

We save you time, money, and frustration by handling the server management tasks required to run an online business successfully.
    No prodding required. We just do it right the first time. Red Hat, MySQL, Plesk, and cPanel certified staff.

Re: Re: Upgrade RAQ4i to RAQ550???

Thank you for your Answer. But can you tell em how can I install ROM-update-2.9.34-1.pkg , from Server Management Panel (with working RAQ, Install Sowtware) or how Can I do that??

Thank you again
    Thank you for answer. But is the same procedure for RAQ4 too? Because I have RAQ4. And how must I Update Flash?? Through Server management ( Install Software, or??)
    Thank you again

Thank you again

No Dice on a Raq4i

Originally posted by huck
    In general you need to backup all sites (as your data will be lost).

Flash the ROM.

Restore using a Raq550 restore CD.

I have a Raq4i and used the Rag550 Restore CD. It upgraded the flash. The LCD stated that the flash was successful, then it proceeded to upgrade the system. Well it never really got to a usable state after the upgrade. It never let me know when it was really done restoring. When it finally rebooted, because I had the PC still in the network mode with the CD waiting to be booted from, the Raq went right back in to the Restore Cycle again by asking me if I wanted to Erase and Rebuild. After I finallly figured out that I should say no, the LCD kinda went blank (not the back light, just the LCD pixels) and just sat there. I turned it off then back on with the S being held. This time I went to Configure Boot and selected Disk (which was already the default) The system tried to boot and did so. Finally allowed me to get to the point where I could set an IP address. Once that was completed though, it kept showing the ip address and web address then switched back to "Setting up Web Service" it kept doing this switch over and over again. I could telnet into the box, but dont know the default password of the Restore CD for a Raq550 (rememeber I have a Raq4i.) I could never get to the default webpage via the web interface. I was able to telnet in but without the password, it was useless. If I should have left the system on over night to complete whatever the "Setting Up Web Services" needed to do, let me know. I'll start the process again and let it sit for a while.

Help someone. I had a perfectly running Raq4i (that I had previously restored with the Raq4 CD) The flash worked (to go to Raq550) so I can go either way at this point I am figuring. It's not a production machine, but I do want to get it back to a usable state. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks. in advance

Re: No Dice on a Raq4i

Originally posted by andrej770
    ... I could never get to the default webpage via the web interface. I was able to telnet in but without the password, it was useless. If I should have left the system on over night to complete whatever the "Setting Up Web Services" needed to do, let me know. I'll start the process again and let it sit for a while.

Thanks. in advance
    3rd time installing was the charm. Everything is working now. Installling patches at th is time. Has anyone ever gotten any word as to whether installing any of the kernal patches will crash the appliance? If I don't hear otherwise I want to install the kernal patches too.

If anyone knows, please post.

Thanks.

I've installed RAQ550 kernels onto a RAQ4 with the RAQ500 os and had no problems.

Originally posted by Bantam
    I've installed RAQ550 kernels onto a RAQ4 with the RAQ500 and had no problems.
    That's all I needed to hear. It's a non-production system anyway.

Then again, I applied:

RaQ550-All-Kernel-0.0.1-2.4.19C9_V-1

and it failed. during the install I saw i686. I could swear I saw ppost somewhere about how some of the kernels might not work because the were for i686 and the Raq4 was an i386. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.
    Last edited by andrej770; 08-23-2004 at 04:01 AM.

You can't install the "real" RaQ 550 kernel onto a RaQ 4 with RaQ 550 OS loaded on it. The two systems use a different type of memory. You can find kernels for RaQ4-turned-RaQ550 systems at http://www.nuonce.net/.

I also made some shell scripts that will download and then install every PKG you need once you do the OS Restore, so you don't need to manually install each PKG. They are at

http://www.cobaltfaqs.com/doc/wiki.p...all550OSonRaQ4

Just run each one onto your newly built RaQ, and when they're done, you'll have a completely up-to-date RaQ 450(tm)!

Re: the ROM upgrade - you can do it beforehand, via the PKG on my site or manually with Tim's directions, or you can let the RaQ 550 OSRCD do it for you.

If you do it via the OSRCD, BE SURE TO SELECT THE PROPER MACHINE TYPE!! You need to choose the actual hardware you're installing on, NOT what you want it to become. So if you're upgrading a RaQ 4, choose that option during the restore, NOT "RaQ 550"

If you install the wrong ROM, you will have a pretty blue boat anchor. You can contact Gerald Waugh at www.raqware.com for a new ROM chip installation. BTW, he also does CPU upgrades etc.
    http://www.lamphowto.com/ - LAMP and LAMP+SSL HowTo
    http://www.cobaltfaqs.com/ - Cobalt FAQs and HowTos

Thanks. I installed only the Custom created Kernel Upgrades fo the Raq4.

Dear andrej770,

Damn I am exactly in the same spot as you were! Can I ask when you were stuck with the looping 'Setting up Web Services' how did you manage to reset and then install the Raq4 with 550 OS successfully? Here is what I did:

1. Connect PC with cross cable to Raq4

2. Boot from OS R CD

3. Turn on Raq4 while pressing S
    - Choose 'boot from net'
    - it will run a while
    - CHOOSE RAQ4 - BE F*&ING CAREFUL WHEN PRESSING BUTTONS
    - Then when the LCD prompts for ROM version select 2.9.34

4. It will then ask you to REBOOT - turn off then on
    - LCD will show lot of funky stuff, let it run
    - Let it run then it will hold for a while doing nothing

5. - Reboot while pressing S key
    - Choose boot from net
    - When it asks do you want to Erase and build - Say Yes (THIS IS WHERE I WENT WRONG I THINK)
    - Disk will format, rebuild rpms etc.

6. Stuck....!

Do I need to install that flash rom stated in the first post?

No, the RaQ 550 OSRCD should upgrade the ROM for you... the manual ROM upgrade first is one way to ensure that it's installed, but it's not required.

And you *do* want to select "Y" for the "Erase and rebuild" question. It will take a while, but you should see progress on the LCD as to what it's doing.

If you have a null modem serial cable (not just a regular serial cable) you can connect it to the serial port of the RaQ and another PC running a communication program (like WinTerm or ProComm on Windows, or minicom on Linux) -- settings are 115200 N-8-1 -- and see everything that's going on. If the build *is* hanging, this will tell you exactly where.
    http://www.lamphowto.com/ - LAMP and LAMP+SSL HowTo
    http://www.cobaltfaqs.com/ - Cobalt FAQs and HowTos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast