Question How to share the harddisk array for two servers?

We're planning to run load balancing on new servers (we're running SCSI), but there's a question,

1) Can we share the harddisk array from server A to server B? using the external connector from SCSI raid card?

2) When a server is crashed, can another server still able to access the harddisk array?

While the answer is 'yes' it comes with some serious caveats. You can hook the servers together over the SCSI bus, but often the servers will place different voltages on the lines and cause trouble. SCSI over Fibre Channel or iSCSI will work around that, though.

The second hurtle is making sure both servers see each other's changes, since modern OSes cache all their writes. Unless you have a filesystem designed for the task (GFS is one), you will corrupt your filesystem and data into total gibberish.

Your concept can work, but a central file server is usually a better solution until you're ready for a full-blown SAN.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

i think he meant same disk array but not the same disks on that array?

i saw that on some setups, it relly depend on the hardware though.
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

We're using the same hardware on both servers, so there wouldn't be a voltages problem?

How about one SCSI disk for server A and one for server B, then run Raid 1 between 2 servers?

Do we need iSCSI card and specificed filesystems to do that?
    Last edited by nowisph; 04-11-2004 at 03:01 AM.

Originally posted by Bashar
    i think he meant same disk array but not the same disks on that array?

i saw that on some setups, it relly depend on the hardware though.
    yea, the same disk array.

Unfortunately the SCSI NAS/SAN solutions are too expensive to afford.

Why not get a dedicated machine to throw in the middle, and NFS mount shares on each webserver? I would create one OS disk for each server, and just have them nfs mount the "master" share. The company I work for hosts several sites load-balanced like this. One inparticular uses a Brocade Silkworm, but that's some serious drive balancing.

Regards
    :: [email protected]
    :: www.hakkrdan.org
    ::
    :: jack of all trades

a file server is not stable as its OS is not redundant, when it goes down, 2 servers will be out of service, this is one-point-of-failure, and the cost is even higher than NAS solution.

We would rather choose a mid-range NAS as it can be used for 4 servers without worrying about downtime.

But as I mentioned the NAS equipment is expensive so we're considering load-balancing on 2 servers.

what is the difference between the nfs file server and the nas ?
    isn't the nas a standart server in a custom box usig a modded os ?

major bands NAS are using hardware OS with redundant, not sure for other NAS from smaller bands.

Originally posted by netswitch
    what is the difference between the nfs file server and the nas ?
    isn't the nas a standart server in a custom box usig a modded os ?
    NAS would be a seperate network accessible storage device while using NFS mounts would enable you to keep the array in one machine and simply mount its partitions over the network.
    H4Y Technologies LLC Check out our new website!
    "Smarter, Cheaper, Faster" - SMB, Reseller, VDS, Dedicated, Colo hosting done right.

ZERO PACKETLOSS, ZERO DOWNTIME Dedicated and Colo - USA: IA, CA, NC, OR, NV
    **http://h4y.us**
    Voice: (866)435-5642. *** Email: askus at host4yourself d0t com

Doesn't NFSv4 support disconnected feature where it keeps a cached copy of data on the client side then merges the changes when the server is back online. I haven't used it yet but that feature does work well with OpenAFS.