Thumbs down Active Web Hosting headache

I'm having a problem with AWH (as most people do after a while with them...). They were my first host, and I was stupid enough to also register my domain through them. I quickly learned that their hosting was no good so I switched to another company, but now my domain name is expired and I need to renew. So I emailed AWH asking them how I'd go about renewing (I'm still very new to these things), and I got a reply saying to use the account management system on their site. I replied asking if I'd still use that even though I don't have hosting service through AWH anymore, and...no reply. Considering that was around 11:30 this morning and it's now 9:30 at night, I'm pretty sure that if I were going to receive a reply, I would have by now. I hope I'm jumping the gun, but I know how shady this company is now. I guess what I'm wondering is if I really have anything to worry about? Can they just keep my domain and not ever reply to me, and I'll have to just accept it? I have a lot of people who rely on my site and I really need to renew that domain asap. Is there anything I can do?

If a WHOIS does not show you as the Registrant, then the Domain name is not yours -- it belongs to whomever the Registrant is. As you are no longer a Client of AWH, whether they respond to you or not is strictly up to them.

If you really want the Domain name, you may have to fight and/or pay for it. Might be better, less stressful, to simply get another Domain name and move on. You can always wait for the current Domain name to once again become available to the public and register it in your name at that time.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

who is AWH ?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Originally posted by Bashar
    who is AWH ?
    Sorry, it's Active Web Hosting.

It turns out I had jumped the gun, I did get a response. But I have another question...is it customary to charge $30 for a one year renewal??

Active Web Hosting is garbage as I remember. I would say give it a day or two more. It may costs hundreds to bring it out of RGP (Redemption Grace Period) which is VeriSign and the registrar and probably AWH tacking on their extra fees.

I would look at backordering the domain via:
    www.snapnames.com
    www.pool.com
    www.namewinner.com

those are the big three, there are many smaller ones:
    www.enom.com/resellers/clubdrop.asp
    www.godaddy.com (backorders)
    www.thefirstname.com
    www.dropwizard.com

good luck!
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out our WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks (Updated: Sep 2016), the most comprehensive look at WP performance

I'm very new to this (this is the first domain name I've had, plus my first time having to renew one) so please excuse me if my questions are dumb, but what is backordering? How long does it take to get my domain back?

activewebhosting.com doesn't seem like a pro hosting company though.

SO empty
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Originally posted by violet
    It turns out I had jumped the gun, I did get a response. But I have another question...is it customary to charge $30 for a one year renewal??
    Pay the renewal and make sure the Registrant is you! Do whatever it takes, if the Domain name is important enough to you, to get yourself as the Owner. Also get yourself listed as Admin, Tech and Billing contact -- just to be on the safe side.

Once that is done you can focus on moving to another Registrar if you so choose.

I'm listed as the Admin contact but Active Web Hosting is listed as the tech contact. Does that matter, since my name is on there in at least one place?

I did pay the $30...how long does renewal typically take?

If it is a renewal then it should be automatic with no downtime due to your Domain not being active. If it was listed as inactive or had to be back ordered, there will be some downtime. This would be due to the Domain needed to be re-listed and propagation to again kick in -- could take between 2 - 7 days.

Being listed as Admin is not good enough, you must be listed as the Registrant (which is the Owner). As mentioned already, if the Domain is important enough to you, then do what it takes to get you listed as Registrant or get another Domain name and save yourself all this hassle.

I'll do that, thanks for your help!