CIhost Crazy Deals?

Those deals look very, very tempting. Is there something I'm missing?

Do a search
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Like RackMy.com said, do a search. Other than the fact that CI Host has been banned from WHT (still are?), there may not be too much...

Hey.

This is a bit random, but you still might be interested.
    CI Host prank call? heh.... http://www.mrtac.co.uk/

Regards,
    Thomas Currie
    Europhase UK Limited - XEN/OpenVZ UK/US Virtual Private Servers | R1Soft Backups for Web Hosts
    Custom R1Soft Backups | UK/US Web Hosting | UK/US Virtual Private Servers
    99.9% Uptime SLA | Non Overloaded Service | Guaranteed Ram / Resources
    Company: SC345142 VAT: GB-947754180 Tel: 0870 4710 895

that's hillarious!

Yeah that's pretty funny. The sales guys at RackSpace sound much more intelligent than the techs at CIH

Make sure you scroll to the bottom of the page and read the restrictions.

Yeah, there IS a catch

Yes, the deals are good, but there's definitely a catch...

Their tech. support is working to redefine suck. I'd encourage you to keep shopping.

You might want to check this thread, to see that I'm not alone in this thinking:

WebHostingTalk Forums > Advertising Forums > Industry Announcements > Network Outages and Updates > CIHost down

read on down. 12 month pre paid. No refunds.

Hahahaha that guy is great. From Finland

Ah that reminds me of back in the good old days when I used to call random numbers from pay phones with my older brother because I thought it was so cool haha.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

Who is the biggest competitor ya'll know using windows 2003?

Re: Yeah, there IS a catch

Originally posted by MonkBryson
    Their tech. support is working to redefine suck.
    Funniest line I've heard all day!

That is one of the most funniest things I have ever heard. I was on the ground rolling around LOL.

Thank you,
    Kyle Leissner

Well we looked for a new co-lo host with a chicago dc about a year ago and came across the crazy deals. Now, keep in mind, we host a couple game servers and web sites for personal (not commercial) use. With that said. Here is my exact experience with them (now 9 months into this).

The good:
    Low price (we have the 2u deal for $79, going to lower to the 1u for $49 when we renew)
    Quick response to reboot requests (needing this alot recently since i was mucking with the box)
    Easy access to the DC (call them up and I'm in anytime i need to be)

The bad:
    In the 9 months, there have been 2 network outages. One was bad enough that what appeared to be their entire DC in Chicago and Dallas was out for over 10 hours. The "best answer" i got to that one was a coordinated DDoS on their routers.

On a scale of 1-10, i would give them a 9 actually. As always, your milage may vary.

I have heard a lot of bad things about CI Host when it came to hosting/dedicated servers, but haven't heard much at all about colocating with them.

Machone, when you pay the 80 dollars a month for a 2u, you pay a years worth all at once right?

And I still don't grasp the "95th percentile" thing strong enough, you didnt get charged extra for anything, did you? just the 12 month prepay?

Originally posted by Rocklee
    And I still don't grasp the "95th percentile" thing strong enough, you didnt get charged extra for anything, did you? just the 12 month prepay?
    Many hosts use the 95th percentile rule for bandwidth billing. Do a search for it here on WHT: I know someone wrote a good explanation not too far back.

Originally posted by saminuske
    Many hosts use the 95th percentile rule for bandwidth billing. Do a search for it here on WHT: I know someone wrote a good explanation not too far back.
    I have explained this in-depth a number of times. Here is a good post to read if you want to understand what you're likely to be billed for, vs the amount of data you'll actually transfer, for typical hosting traffic.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...66#post2027466
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

Yes, 1 year + setup in advance. (for me is was like $1027). Like i said, when i renew i am going to get the 1U package they have had up since I don't need the 2U and dont use much bandwidth. For that, it will be like $590 for the year.

As for extra, never paid a dime more to them. I get 800gig of outbound bandwidth based on the 95th rule. According to my stats, i have used only about 150 is one month so i come no where close to the 800.

Now: let me give you a little more. I recently thought it would be a good idea to install Kernel 2.6.5 on my box, after all it is listed as a stable 2.6.x kernel. Well, its not stable for me, sucker was locking up HARD multiple times. I called them like 5 times in the last 3 days for reboots. They even took the time to hook up a KB and MONITOR and let me know any error messages they saw. Cost to me, ZERO!

BTW: i went back to a stable 2.4.x kernel and have no problems. Thats what i get for trying to be on the bleeding edge.