Northern CA, 1Uor2U & 400GB bandwidth

hey I'm looking for a good colocation provider in Northern, CA (preferably San Jose). I'm looking for 1U or 2U and a good amount of bandwidth (around 400GB) to host some websites and game servers. This is just a personal server I am sharing with friends.

Budget is no more then $120/month. I don't know if it's possible, but maybe you guys know of a place that cheap. :-)

Ah, I just read the top post. Sorry. Going to those forums now.

Well, you didnt post a request - you're only asking for suggestions - so you're alright.

I suggest checking out www.nationhosts.com

intsales329 on AIM.

that place is cool, little low on bandwidth for my budget range though. I'll keep it in mind.

Hi, I'd suggest checking out Hurricane Electric (he.net). They have two locations near you .

They have one in San Jose, and in Fremont. I don't know how cheap the bandwidth would be for you. But the place i'm colocating with at the Fremont location is getting 30Mbps of bandwidth, with a cost around 1500$ right now, but that's just for the bandwidth.

I've never had a problem with them, and their support is really good. Always there waiting to do what you wanna work 'em with .
    Last edited by lpmusic; 04-10-2004 at 10:17 PM.

Check out simpli.biz. I was involved with a very similar search a few months ago. They were very cool to deal with, plus they gave a VERY competitive quote right off the bat -- no haggling necessary. Plus, they're in an AboveNet datacenter in San Jose which is pretty much top of the line. Worth checking out, in my opinion.

125/mbit - thats a bit expensive and it doesnt go down much on a higher commit.

I'd suggest layer42.net, I think they still do colocation.. Ask for Steve, he's an awesome network engineer, and I believe he owns the company.. The only guy besides myself I'd trust a server to in the bay area.

I don't get it. What do these hosts think the customer can do with only 256kbps? I mean, I can get my own adsl/cable and do that. Anyone who's in the business for this kind of service, dedicated servers included, won't be able to do anything with a mere 256kbps. What am I missing here?

You're missing the term "Average" or "95th Percentile". Your ADSL/Cable is capped at 256Kbps. If you colocate, you're often given 10Mbps or 100Mbps port.

woah?? so when they say 256kbps like here http://layer42.net/services.html#colocate I'm really getting like 10mbps? They don't mention anything of a cap, so then I get whatever I can fit through 10mbps?

You get 100Mbps burstable connections, but they measure how much bandwidth you use base on average or 95th.

then what's the 256kbps thing all about?

are layer42's server located in santa clarita? Does anyone happen to know?

thanks
    Last edited by Draxxus; 04-14-2004 at 01:12 AM.

Originally posted by Draxxus
    I don't get it. What do these hosts think the customer can do with only 256kbps? I mean, I can get my own adsl/cable and do that. Anyone who's in the business for this kind of service, dedicated servers included, won't be able to do anything with a mere 256kbps. What am I missing here?
    Layer42, I can't speak for them but I'm not them, is a real hosting company. Their pricing is pretty fair for what they offer, and I'm sure they have better pricing at substantial bandwidth costs.. I don't think their webpage does them justice.

I worked with their owner, Steve Rubin, for a while, and he's an amazing cisco guy. If I didn't run my own hosting business, he's who I'd send all of my customers to..

And yes, I'm pretty sure they're in santa clara at Equinix.

Originally posted by Draxxus
    then what's the 256kbps thing all about?

are layer42's server located in santa clarita? Does anyone happen to know?

thanks
    That woud be nice.. Santa Clarita is my home town