DirectAdmin or cPanel..

Which do clients prefer?

I am looking for a control panel for which to push to my clients...

I am leaning towards DA, but is cPanel more requested?

Opinions?

Cpanel! no doubt
    Joman Sierra
    http://www.dominet.net

Yeah.. Im going to need reasoning for your choice.

I like them both. Both companies have great support. They both make a great product.
    Dot Simple LLC
    aim: johna11en | yah: johna11en | msn: [email protected] | e-mail

Customers definately preffer cpanel. Its expensive though...
    Quality Shared Hosting
    *Live support*
    Flexible Plans and Prices
    [email protected]

I'd say most customers prefer CPanel simply because it is CPanel. It is well known, it is out there and many clients have used it before.

That being said, DirectAdmin offers most of the same features as CPanel without the hassle. I've been an admin on both CPanel and DirectAdmin servers and I have to say I prefer DirectAdmin. I found it easier to use, more user-friendly and their support team much more responsive.

Also, I like how with DirectAdmin you can upgrade the majority of the software on the system yourself as you see fit as they don't use customized binaries. Whereas with CPanel you are pretty dependent on CPanel when it comes time to do an upgrade.
    I've had a few clients complain that we don't have CPanel but I can't say we have lost a client simply because they prefer CPanel. I've actually converted several CPanel loving clients to DirectAdmin loving clients.

cPanel, more features and user-friendly.

When I use DirectAdmin I get the feeling that it was coded better. It just seems like they took a step back and looked at the whole process and put every piece together. The interface is very basic and should be easy for anyone to use. It has a lower total cost of ownership. All the documentation is available on site-helper.com.

When I use Cpanel it has a very attractive interface. Cpanel has had a long history with web hosting. I remember using Cpanel when it was version 3 or 4. Cpanel comes out with newer features faster than other control panels do.

I like both control panels.
    Dot Simple LLC
    aim: johna11en | yah: johna11en | msn: [email protected] | e-mail

Hello.

I have never worked with DirectAdmin.
    I am now seriously looking into it however!

For people who are interested in the price, check these links out...
    http://www.directadmin.com/internal.html (dedicated server providers)
    http://www.directadmin.com/pricing.html (normal licence costs)
    http://www.cpanel.net/dist.cgi

Regards,
    Thomas Currie
    Europhase UK Limited - XEN/OpenVZ UK/US Virtual Private Servers | R1Soft Backups for Web Hosts
    Custom R1Soft Backups | UK/US Web Hosting | UK/US Virtual Private Servers
    99.9% Uptime SLA | Non Overloaded Service | Guaranteed Ram / Resources
    Company: SC345142 VAT: GB-947754180 Tel: 0870 4710 895

directadmin
    site-helper.com is a god send (unbranded help pages for directadmin)

DirectAdmin all the way.
    To put it, cPanel is uter crap. If it wasn't so unstable with so many bugs it'll be a good control panel. Only thing is, it's more popular then any control panel out there.

DA has the same USEFUL features as cPanel, except without the bugs & security holes. Plus DA is a lot more affordable then cPanel.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

I'd say Direct Admin is the hosts choice and CPanel is the clients choice. BUT. I have had clients who have moved from a CPanel host to our DA servers and they have said they felt the panel was more solid and liked how we could keep simple software such as MySQL, phpMyAdmin and PHP uptodate easily.
    Glen Millar
    Tyger Hosting Services
    http://www.tygerhosting.com
    Affordable Direct Admin Linux Hosting Since 2003

Originally posted by iTec Hosts
    I'd say Direct Admin is the hosts choice and CPanel is the clients choice. BUT. I have had clients who have moved from a CPanel host to our DA servers and they have said they felt the panel was more solid and liked how we could keep simple software such as MySQL, phpMyAdmin and PHP uptodate easily.
    Yep, once you go DA, you'll never go back.

Originally posted by daejuanj
    DirectAdmin all the way.
    To put it, cPanel is uter crap. If it wasn't so unstable with so many bugs it'll be a good control panel. Only thing is, it's more popular then any control panel out there.

DA has the same USEFUL features as cPanel, except without the bugs & security holes. Plus DA is a lot more affordable then cPanel.
    I don't have any problems with cPanel crashing. In fact, the last problem I had with it was ... an account transfer bug which Nick fixed within a few hours after I reported it to him. That was probably some 3 months ago.

DA, however, while it doesn't have a whole lot of problems I feel the usuability just isn't up to par with cPanel's.

I prefer cPanel over DA easily on any given day.

Personally I have never had any serious issues with CP. Furthermore, I feel CP looks better by default (yes gui quality is a consideration) and it has some nice added features.

As far as DirectAdmin usability goes, please see:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=258190

directadmin is excellent. with that said, we are a cpanel partner noc. why? clients, for better of for worse, ask for cpanel specifically and will not be persuaded otherwise.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

I suppose I should throw in my two cents here since I've been a huge DA advocate all over the forums.

As Paul said, there are clients who request cPanel specifically. However, 99% of the time, these are also the people who want "a P4/2.8GHz with 1GB of RAM and a 120GB hard drive with cPanel for $199/month!" In other words, their pricing simply isn't realistic. cPanel alone costs $42.50/month for the lowest level of being a Partner NOC.

cPanel (the company) and cPanel's employees have demonstrated a level of unprofessionalism that is astounding. The control panel has numerous spelling errors, is buggy, and often our servers that have it load-spike for no apparent reason. Their employees have insulted me, called me "Eric" on several separate occasions, and twice during sales requests (I'm female, thank you), and refused to fix bugs that I have submitted. Why would I want to do business with a company like this?

I can tell you that out of several hundred customers, and many with dedicated servers, that we have grown a healthy business without having cPanel on a single dedicated server. About 4 or 5 months ago, we converted our last cPanel dedicated server to DirectAdmin. His support requests have dropped to 0 and we've been amazed at his response to DirectAdmin. In general, our customers love it. We have only one virtual hosting server left that runs cPanel, and about once every week or two, we move someone over to our DirectAdmin boxes because they're just as frustrated with cPanel as we are.

For me, the choice was easy. Support a company that has no respect for me or my company at all, or support a company that has been responsive to my needs, added features that I have requested, and has generally built a control panel that my system administrators don't feel like they have to fight on a daily basis?

For any of you out there who are small-time cPanel partner NOCs, cPanel doesn't give a **** about you. They give a **** about exactly three customers: Rackshack, Burst, and ServerMatrix. Even though you pay more per license than these companies do, cPanel won't listen to your needs. The DirectAdmin developers have and will respond.

For that alone, I believe cPanel will start to be phased out at many more companies in the future. Already we've seen some big companies make the leap to Plesk 7 (VO comes to mind.) More and more companies are leaving cPanel. We are one of the first large-scale virtual/reseller customers to stick our necks on the line and say "DA all the way; we're no longer buying cPanel licenses." It's paid off in spades.

Ask yourself this: Do you want to compete directly with ServerMatrix and Rackshack and try to match their prices (news flash: you can't)? If so, become a cPanel partner. If not, and if you want to offer something of value that is unique, offer DA. If you want to be daring, offer only DA. We will offer only DA on virtual accounts starting this month (having already successfully moved all dedicated servers to DA.) My goal is to have at least 5000 customers on DA virtual accounts by mid-2005, and I am confident enough in that goal to make DA the control panel of choice for our company.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

Originally posted by inogenius
    I don't have any problems with cPanel crashing. In fact, the last problem I had with it was ... an account transfer bug which Nick fixed within a few hours after I reported it to him. That was probably some 3 months ago.

DA, however, while it doesn't have a whole lot of problems I feel the usuability just isn't up to par with cPanel's.

I prefer cPanel over DA easily on any given day.
    I don't have a prolem with it crashing, but i do have a problem with all the 'unexplained' problems it has. There's about a list of fixes (/scripts/newexim
    /scripts/exim4, etc..) for problems that should be there in the first place.
    Also, DA has just a much Useful features that i actually use then cPanel does.

I will still use cPanel, but I'll chose the stable, and more usable DirectAdmin anyday.

Originally posted by Simpli-Erica
    I suppose I should throw in my two cents here since I've been a huge DA advocate all over the forums.

As Paul said, there are clients who request cPanel specifically. However, 99% of the time, these are also the people who want "a P4/2.8GHz with 1GB of RAM and a 120GB hard drive with cPanel for $199/month!" In other words, their pricing simply isn't realistic. cPanel alone costs $42.50/month for the lowest level of being a Partner NOC.
    not to detract from the other valid points you made, with which i wholeheartedly agree, but in our experience, clients demanding cpanel are those moving to us from a previous provider and carrying with them a ton of cpanel-bound clients. given our position in the market, most sales inquiries coming to us involve folks who are looking to upgrade from 'budget' and are not that price-sensitive wrt cpanel licensing. i am happy continuing to offer cpanel while we evaluate DA and develop our DA offerings.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

DirectAdmin seriously very budget and is good start for a small company *I started with cPanel when we have only 1 client* is like pouring money into the sink.

Unless you found cPanel very useful in your future *as this is my aim* get cPanel.

DirectAdmin is not bad as skins, languages are mostly free....

Recently I looked up, Plesk sounds alright too~ The price is reasonable but....being a cPanel fan...i will stick with cPanel.

Actually, most of the people that come to us asking for a cpanel are in fact asking for a contol panel they don't really care the brand but they only know cpanel.

We give them the demo login of our DA and they are usually quite happy with it.
    We never had any of them coming to us with a huge bunch of customers aldready using cpanel but I think that i it ever happens, I ll try to migrate them.

The usage cost of cpanel is far too high (to my mind).

My personal review, I think cPanel in WHM compare with DA is way far more advance when cPanel for end user and DA is just level.

Think about it... what is the percentage that your clients will use ALL the functions in cPanel?

=) Once your website is up...will you bother going into cPanel again?

cpanel's usability for the average user I think really depends on the skin. IE, the cpskin IMO is very professional. Only possibly the monsoon/blue lagoon skin can come close.

The other skins just don't organize things nicely.

w/ DA, I think the pro skin is excellent, minus the fact the folder/site navigation is on the bottom of the screen.

But after using both, I've found DA to be simpler, and more user friendly. the site-helper site is great. And it just has a better feel to it.

That is all from an end user perspective (my own anyway). On the backend, I only have slight experience w/ DA. So I can't comment much on that. But the DA guys on their forums seem very helpful.

Originally posted by WCHost

Think about it... what is the percentage that your clients will use ALL the functions in cPanel?

Thats what I say, most of those features will never be used by clients, advanced or newbies.