Find Fast Web Hosting with automatic compression tool

I am looking for a fast web hosting UNIX server with compression tool installed. e.g mod_gzip so that html pages will be compressed automatically. Can anyone refer me to a hosting company who provides such server?

Or can anyone refer a web hosting with the fastest speed and internet connection?

Hi welcome to WHT

You might want to try the search function located at the top

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?s=

Most web hosts offer this as a standard with your plan. Just call them on the phone and make sure you are getting what you want. Do a search on these forums and other WH forums and you will find what you are looking for.

I am still unable to find a UNIX web hosting server which has the mod_gzip module from the searches. Is there any web hosting companies providing for this? Any one has any experience of using such server? What is the pros and cons?

Biggest con is that the server would have to use more CPU time to process the compressions and such...

Ask a host you're interested in if they have it. If they don't, see if they will install it for you. It's worth a shot.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

Will the compression makes the meta tags incomprehensible for search engines and thereby affect search engines rankings?

Re: Find Fast Web Hosting with automatic compression tool

Originally posted by spiderman2
    I am looking for a fast web hosting UNIX server with compression tool installed. e.g mod_gzip so that html pages will be compressed automatically. Can anyone refer me to a hosting company who provides such server?

Or can anyone refer a web hosting with the fastest speed and internet connection?
    bandwidth is not that expensive... why do you need mod_gzip for?
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

Re: Find Fast Web Hosting with automatic compression tool

Originally posted by spiderman2

I can't speak as to mod_gzip within apache but my PHP scripts all use output buffering and start like this:

PHP Code:
    ini_set('zlib.output_compression''On');
    ini_set('zlib.output_compression_level''9'); 
    It wasn't *super* noticable on my cable connection but it did improve load times on dialup from what I've been told. I use hostrocket.com as my hosting provider.

I would guess however that if you just research your .htaccess you should be able to put an option in there to enable mod_gzip if it's installed but just not on by default. I can't see any reason why a provider wouldn't install it and make it an option but not automatically on for all clients.

Of course, I don't and wouldn't use such a thing so this is all just my best guess.

Have you tried Host Quote
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Originally posted by cybexhost
    Biggest con is that the server would have to use more CPU time to process the compressions and such...

Ask a host you're interested in if they have it. If they don't, see if they will install it for you. It's worth a shot.
    I find the processing is mostly offset by having apache able to kill of processes faster and free up more memory. Combine it with lingerd and you have a pretty good combination. Plus, you can squeeze out extra bandwith for your customers, which is always a plus for them
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>

To speed page loading for the end user mod_gzip is a great module to enable. Along with a good PHP Accelerator you can dramatically speed things up on your boxes. Even though dial-up is becoming a dinosaur, these features make a big difference to those still riding that dinosaur...

It's tough to provide those types of features on the everything for $1 plans though. There is always a trade-off where price is concerned. The question is, do you want your site fast and reliable? Or do you want your site cheap?

It's very rare to find both in a single provider that will survive the test of time...