Few question on running a game server

First question how many game servers could I run on my server. Second question what would be need to setup the game server. Thrid question if there is software to manage a game server where would i be able to get it. Fourth question which would be better to run the server on Windows or Linux? Thanx in advanced

-----------------------------------------
    Server Spec's
    DUAL AMD 2800+ MP Processors
    3GB Kingston PC2100 DDR
    1 Western Digital 36 GB 8MB Raptor SATA 10K RPM
    2 Fujitsu 36.7GB SCSI 15K RPM
    10 Mbits with a backbone of 2600Mbits
    --------------------------------------------------

1. Really depends on the game. COD, BF1942, games like that with full seating 24-32 players you really can only host one and keep it from lagging for some people.
    2. Games?Dedicated server edition, which some game companies offer as a seperate download. Other than that I dont know what you are asking about.........
    3. Get FireDaemon from http://www.firedaemon.com/ if you are going to Windows.
    4. ONce again... really depends on what games you plan on running. Some games work better on others......

Edit: just saw your server specs >.< So the above might be a little general...

Great specs to host game servers, just don't overload the box. If you don't know what you're doing, and you're going to get a high-end server like that, I suggest hiring someone to help you out with all this, or do a lot of reading before you purchase the server. You could probably run ~15 CS 12pvts, that's a very rough estimate.

Re: Few question on running a game server

Originally posted by jpacheco
    First question how many game servers could I run on my server. Second question what would be need to setup the game server. Thrid question if there is software to manage a game server where would i be able to get it. Fourth question which would be better to run the server on Windows or Linux? Thanx in advanced

-----------------------------------------
    Server Spec's
    DUAL AMD 2800+ MP Processors
    3GB Kingston PC2100 DDR
    1 Western Digital 36 GB 8MB Raptor SATA 10K RPM
    2 Fujitsu 36.7GB SCSI 15K RPM
    10 Mbits with a backbone of 2600Mbits
    --------------------------------------------------

Awesome server specs. I say 10 Call of duty or Quake engine based game with 24 client for each could be hosted without problem. I Definitly suggest Linux Redhat 9. Also install Webmin from webmin.com which you can create a start-stop or sum other custom commands for your each customer account. Also if you need more help I have a great admin that I can forward you, Reliable and cheap.Once again nice server specs, good luck.
    support@deltanetworkz.com

Thx for the help guys anyone else out there have any thing to add to the reply? I need as much information i can get...

What game will you be hosting?

If you're doing CS game servers, or any HLDS Mod for that matter, i'd reccomend getting more RAM when you fill that one. A lot of gaming companies do about 4 GB+ RAM per game server. HLDS tends to use very little CPU so more RAM helps a lot. Nice HD's, try to evenly split the games amongst every HD. You could definetely hold quite a bit on that though...