How can we prevent downtime ?

Hi,

I am hosting a server with NOCSTER.COM. They have been working quite well after the month old debacle.

However from time to time few things might just break (mostly DNS). This causes my site to go offline for few hours.

I want a suggestion as how can we minimise this downtime. I need to know:

- Can we host a copy of site on another server and if this server is down the user is automatically forwarded to the another server? Is this possible?

Abhishek
    Submit2Please.com - Submit your site to 500+ SEO friendly directories
    EasySiteEdit.com - Point. Click. Edit. Works with existing site.

I suggest you get server management.

There is really is no excuse for a site to be down because of dns. If that's the reason for most of your downtime, it's a pretty easy problem to solve. Just use a second box or a third party to provide backup dns.

That is why try so vital to separate your master and slave server if you are on an instable server.

Find a new host, problem solved!

setup a redundant hosting system with servers in more then one data center. Put all the name servers in for each location. While having the servers clusterd. Then it really wont matter which one goes down as long as one is still up the pages should display

Yes I would say find a new host. There is no reason for DNS problems. Yes you can mirror your site, Do a search on these forums for it or go to ev1servers.net and take a look at the forums. Good luck. Downtime is quite ugly and can prevent you from becoming what you have worked so hard for.

Most domain providers give you DNS control if you point your DNS to their default servers. This gives you some pretty good options. With GoDaddy and even (urk! Network Solutions) you can easily change your settings anytime you want and the DNS changes take place quickly.

So what this means to you is if you have a backup site you could re-route your A records while the host is down. However if you need to take these steps then you probably should find a new host.

Originally posted by HostQuest
    Find a new host, problem solved!
    It has notthing to do with hosts, maybe for example someone signups and pays Modernbill setups the Account and when Cpanel adds the accounts Httpd and Bind get broken (Not restarting)

I think that is what he means right? I think there is an Script to restart Services, don't know if Nagios does it though
    ^_^

Originally posted by comfixit
    Most domain providers give you DNS control if you point your DNS to their default servers. This gives you some pretty good options. With GoDaddy and even (urk! Network Solutions) you can easily change your settings anytime you want and the DNS changes take place quickly.

So what this means to you is if you have a backup site you could re-route your A records while the host is down. However if you need to take these steps then you probably should find a new host.
    Pretty Quickly means 2-3 days before your DNS changes propagate throughout the net.

Go with a better host, check for hosts that offer a backup for DNS, I am not dedicated but VPS & VPSColo offers that and mail backup works for me.

Changing name servers takes 2/3 days to propigate. I have changed A records and seen the effects take place in less then an hour if DNS records are already pointing to the proper Name Servers