Question When it comes to a host, does location play a role?

Hi peoples, I'm really new to this whole hosting thing. I've been looking for a while (few weeks) and I've been looking for a host that is geographically close to me. Seeing what little is around I'm pretty much forced to open my search to a greater area.

Does location really matter as far as a host? I mean I guess if I consider what backbones/connections to the net the host has that should be pretty much it right?

Thanks for your time.

d3.

Well, to an extent it does matter yes, but for the most part it doesn't if that makes sense. Obviously, someone on the other side of the world may be a bit slower than someone just a little bit away. However, in this day and age in most cases (provided the company has the technology) you shouldn't notice too much of a difference really.

So in the end, it doesn't really matter.

I feel the same way. A difference exists, but it is minimal in most cases, meaning it's usually not worth the trouble to look only for hosts in a very restricted area.

Try http://findmyhosting.com/AdvancedHosting.asp to look for hosts in a specific area, but as I said, the importance of location is minimal.

Re: When it comes to a host, does location play a role?

Originally posted by deethree
    Does location really matter as far as a host? I mean I guess if I consider what backbones/connections to the net the host has that should be pretty much it right?

Thanks for your time.

d3.
    Only 2 considerations... Your "backbone/connection" concern is valid. A datacenter in Zimbabwe will likely not have the best network, especially during some tribal uprising or coup attempt. The other consideration is support. If your host provides support during "normal" business hours, but in a far-away time zone, that might pose a problem (or not, depending upon your needs).

The other question is, can you ever really know for sure where your host is? For example, the "host" might be based in New York, but is reselling space/bandwidth purchased from a British company which leases servers in Atlanta. It's not always as obvious as you might think.

The Internet knows no borders.
    ~ "Hello, my name is Tom, and I'm a web hosting addict..." ~
    A couple of my most recent addictions include:
    Blog About Nothing - No, really...
    Death Etc. - Bringing The Macabre To Life

Thumbs up

I think location matters.

You want to make sure you have a host who is connected to a lot of backbones. My new host, *********.Net, has its datacenter in New York and is connected to many backbones and I find it makes a big difference! Because you get faster speed and more uptime.

When spending a good amount of cash., my first option is to go locally and see the actual servers and meet the people. However, if that is not an option or I am spending just a small amount on a site, I venture off and go with whoever can provide good service, reliability, etc.

Originally posted by RoyalBoy21
    I think location matters.

You want to make sure you have a host who is connected to a lot of backbones. My new host, *********.Net, has its datacenter in New York and is connected to many backbones and I find it makes a big difference! Because you get faster speed and more uptime.
    Self-promotion is not allowed at WHT Andrew.
    ~ "Hello, my name is Tom, and I'm a web hosting addict..." ~
    A couple of my most recent addictions include:
    Blog About Nothing - No, really...
    Death Etc. - Bringing The Macabre To Life

Well,certainly. 2 Main points to consider.
    Firstly,are you looking for a host for your own personal use? Secondly,are you looking for a host for much of your clients use?

I recommend choosing a location near you if it is for your personal use and a location near your clients if it's for their use (resellers.etc)

You can't really predict where your clients are connecting from but a little marketing research will help unless you already got your clients on the list.

IMO the geagraphical location doesn't matter - the only thing that makes sense in the meaning of really fast hosting is the speed of the connection.

Hi,

No location matters as long as good service and support is provided.

Location (for a Hosting company) doesn't matter as much as the Data Center being used. You could live next to your Hoster and see 12 hops, between you and your Hosting account. Get a Hosting account with someone on the other side of the Country and it could take only 9 hops.

The question is, how long does it take to complete the hops?

It is true that some DCs have better connections/peering than others and that's why, it's a good idea to do some Trace route testing before going with them.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

In certain cases, it does matter a lot. I am based in India, and although the data centers here are no match ot the ones in US in respect of connectivity, the average response times is much higher, becasue of the significantly lesser number of hops.

Take for example, one of my clients was a toddlers school, which needed it's site for keeping up with the parents about the child's progress. Since the website clientle was local, it made every sense to go in for local datacenters, althought he cost was much higher than what we would have paid for US based hosting.