Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should we change the "Community Leader" title?

This question has been bouncing about in the admin forum for a few days now and we thought it would be a great idea to get the community's feedback on this important issue.

One of the main reasons we are considering changing the "Community Leader" title is because we don't feel it accurately reflects our role within the community and perhaps confuses new (and maybe old) members.

So far the only alterative title we have come up with ourselves is "Administrator", as we feel this more accurately reflects our role. After all, that's what "Community Leaders" are, they are administrators of the forum. We also feel that the word "Administrator" is a universal term and everyone will know what our role is without much explanation.

Our title was originally changed due to the introduction of new ranks within the community and we also wanted to develop something which was unique to WebHostingTalk. We just aren't sure whether the "Community Leader" title is working or not and that's why this question has arisen.

As I said above, we would appreciate the community's feedback on this important issue, as well as any suggestions for an alternate title, that you feel could be used to easily explain our role within the community.

Thanks for your time!

I like administrator better, more specific right off the bad
    Global Datacenter
    Low Cost; Reliable Network; Unmetered Data Transfer
    3Mbit Unmetered, or 10Mbit Unmetered; Direct Admin Control Panel
    www.GlobalDC.com

Same here, Administrator.
    John Heslop

call them "moderators", that was just fine.

[edit]

call what are now community leaders administrators, call community liasons moderators, call community guides super moderators

[/edit]

Originally posted by ub3r
    call them "moderators", that was just fine.
    The problem with "moderator" is that when that title was widely used everyone was the same rank. We now have a series of ranks, so I am just not sure the "moderator" title would work anymore. Additionally, "Community Leaders" are taking on a much more diverse role these days such as setting board policy and much of the moderation work is being handed over to Liaisons.

The entire new hierarchy was/is confusing. I bet the majority of people have no idea what the difference between Liaisons and Guides are. I don't know nor do I have any inclination to spend the time to find out.

The Community Leaders are Administrators, you guys/gals administer the day to day operations of WHT and should be referred to as such. The rest of these titles should be discarded and exchanged for a single term such as Moderators. You don't need a road map to distinguish the difference between an Administrator and a Moderator....

Community....Dictator...

Now you know I just had to get that in. Personally, I agree that 'Administrator' suits the job description a bit better and much more accurately portrays your various roles. Leader suggests more that you 'lead' the community and Administrator suggests that you're there to guide moreso than to lead. That's just my view on things of course.

Personally, I like:
    1) Administrator = Community Leader
    2) Moderator = Community Liaison

I think the guides are descriptive in their terms, as they're a valuable chunk of our community and help guide more than just the discussion.

Course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Administrator, Moderator.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

Originally posted by thedavid
    Personally, I like:
    ^^^

thedavid chose the words spot on.
    Have you Floble'd today?

Originally posted by Rochen
    The problem with "moderator" is that when that title was widely used everyone was the same rank. We now have a series of ranks, so I am just not sure the "moderator" title would work anymore.

That's correct. We've been down that track before, and having differenciated Moderator titles was a huge_leap_forward, than all just having the "Moderator" title.
    Additionally, "Community Leaders" are taking on a much more diverse role these days such as setting board policy and much of the moderation work is being handed over to Liaisons.
    IMO, the term "Community Leader", is the most accurate title for your roles. It says that you are the Leaders of the forum (under INET of course), and keeps in sync with the "Community Liaisons" and "Community Guides".

Why try to fix something that isn't broken?
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

I agree with Bob. The current title is fine and in fact works pretty well. However, if you really do want to change it, refer to my post above Bob's.
    Have you Floble'd today?

Originally posted by thedavid
    Personally, I like:
    Ditto. I 100% agree with the above.
    Paradox Web Hosting - codyw@paradox-group.com
    - Shared and Dedicated Hosting Solutions: www.paradoxwebhosting.com
    - Auto Sales Manager 2004 now available!: www.autosalesmanager.com

I would like to thank the Community Leaders for seeking the Community's direction on this decision. The new WHT owners should take notice and follow suit, with changes to WHT etc, imo.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Administrator/Moderator is more specific, though Community Leader/Liaison is friendlier.

I agree with the others... Maybe put "WHT" before the titles.

• WHT Administrator
    • WHT Moderator
    • WHT Guide
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

I think that the names htat ar ebeing used now Community Leader, Community Liaison etc. reflect what we have here. So my personal vote is for "no change needed."

I did see some Community Leaders with the diffrent color text. Is there a reason for it?

Just to add, I don't think the issue is so much a question of whether or not the current titles distinguish between the ranks or not, because I believe they do. The question is more whether or not they distinguish between the ranks in a way that the vast majority, including new members, can understand pretty easily.

As Aussie Bob said above, the introduction of the various ranks has certainly been a positive step forward for WHT, instead of the simple "Moderator" title regardless of what rank the person was. We agree that we need to keep the rankings, we just aren't sure if we picked the correct names for them.

We shall continue to gain feedback in this thread and will make a decision based on that feedback with regards to what, if any, action is required.

Thanks!

I did see some Community Leaders with the diffrent color text. Is there a reason for it?
    I'm still pink from April Fool's - the other Community Leaders should be red. Liaisons should be green; guides orange.

I like your pink, i think you look pretty.
    John Heslop

Originally posted by Akash
    I'm still pink from April Fool's
    Looks good. I remembered that I saw a diffrent color for some Community Leader, but could not remember who.

So, what color will it be for May Fools ?

After some thinking, I say instead of changing the titles, just leave them as they are.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

"Community Directors"
    Don't look for a way out.

leave them as they are! Don't change to boring old admins and mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast