Thread: auto-blog?

auto-blog?

hello ~

i am a very novice webdesigner and i have a question i hope someone here can answer. i tried searching the forums here but since i don't quite know what i'm looking for i had no luck.

i am designing a site for my friend's band and they want to have the frontpage updated once or twice a week with the newest show date and flyers. and a few other pages updated twice a month. this is a little more than i care to do for free and none of them knows anything about HTML. is there any way i can set up an auto-blog where they just have to change a text file on the server or send an email so that it appears on the webpage? i think i've heard of something like this but i'm just not sure how to go about it best.

thanks for any help you may be able to give.

you don't need a script. just server side include:

Code:
    <!--#include virtual="textfile" -->
    check out the link at SSI Tutorial

Jeff

Hi FogDucker.

A blog is one thing, but when you're talkign multiple pages with different content you're looking at either a CMS or in you case, since you want simplicity, a really basic admin panel.

I say this because

1) It would be hard to format paragraphs to fit around images and the like with a simple text file if you're someone who doesn't understand HTML as you're client is.

2) Most blogs are geared towards updating 1 page with different types of data. It would probably take multiple instances of a blog to update multiple pages. Again adding to the complexity of the project for your user.

I see you aren't being paid for this, so I could design a quick easy to use admin panel (PHP and MySQL "or a text database") to update the pages for yor client via a web based interface for maybe a link back to my page or some free design services. I've custom coded my own blogging system Check it out at georgeboone.com.

Please give a few more details on your problem as well. Maybe a link to the site?
    Latest Blog: Flash Game Sites - Get More Traffic NOW!
    Jibber.net - Jibber Entertainment Network
    Take a break and check out these cool Riddles

Originally posted by jsfinn
    you don't need a script. just server side include:

Code:
    <!--#include virtual="textfile" -->
    check out the link at SSI Tutorial

Jeff
    thank you very much. this seems like a nice, idiot proof way to solve the problem.