Looking for a VPS

I am currently on a shared hosting plan, and I was looking into moving to a VPS. I would like to know what the advantages and disadvantages of a VPS are. I would also add that my current site uses around 40-50 GB of bandwidth monthly. Would my site be better off on a VPS? Also, are there any good VPSs that offer 50 GB or more transfer at a relatively low price?

I was in a similar position but my bandwidth usage was much less.

I decided to leave my reseller plan after the server I was on was repeatedly brought down by the other clients on the machine. I decided to go with VPSColo as they struck me as a nice step between shared and dedicated. I have the lowest account, which includes CPanel, and would consider the pricing very reasonable.

VPSColo is fully managed - that's the other reason I went with them. I wanted to have the flexibility to get on the command line and install software or do whatever I needed to do but also didn't want to worry about patch's and stuff like that. And Rus is great to work with - he always has the answer and is quick to respond.

Other VPS's that have good reviews
    Linode
    Dinix
    ServInt

Hope this helps.

Hi SonicBoom318,

WebsiteSource has a VPS plan with over 60 GB at the price of $69.97. SonicBoom318, what is your budget and what are the few most important requirements that you are looking for in a VPS ?

Cristiano
    HostPulse.com - Hosting Directory & Tips
    Cheap Web Hosting
    ASP Hosting
    Domain Hosting

We host three domains on a VPS with MaximumASP. The plan provides 60GB/month transfer and 2GB Disk Space. If your budget can handle the $199 monthly charge I highly recommend them. If you're moving from a shared environment, you'll immediately notice a huge performance boost with the VPS.

ServInt is an excellent choice

Sonic turn on your e-mail capabilities.

Sonic turn on your e-mail capabilities.
    Why should he do that?

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Why should he do that?
    Why? Because I smell

I highly recommend vpscolo.com!

Whoa. Easy on the accusations.

I do not spam. Ever.

vpscolo.com is great. Rus and his staff always respond quickly to tickets I submit with them. I definitely tested out their support structure when I first signed up, and I think they performed above and beyond.
    Matt Walters
    http://mattwalters.net/ - Weblog

Hostchat said
    If your budget can handle the $199 monthly charge...
    you should order dedicated server instead of VPS. You'll receive 30 times more than you're able to get on VPS. And you performance will be perfect!

Be sure that whoever you go with for a VPS is not overselling the memory, cpu and bandwidth on the physical machine. A lot of hosts that advertise large VPS's for low cost are overselling the resources and when you are talking about doing that with a VPS environment you are looking for trouble.

Ask them what your guaranteed minimums are for memory and cpu as well as the NIC card. Maximum allowance means nothing because if someone uses all the system resources you are out of luck.

Hope that helps.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

HQHost,

VPS offers budget dedicated server services. Dedicated server hosting are good for high traffic side and high end customized application development. It has also many advantages over VPS, but on the overall, if users are lack of budget, VPS is a very good alternative though.

Cristiano
    HostPulse.com - Hosting Directory & Tips
    Cheap Web Hosting
    ASP Hosting
    Domain Hosting

Thanks for the sites everyone. Are VPSs less likely to go down than shared hosts? And if it does go down, can I reboot the server myself?

I have been with Dinix and am with VPScolo, the customer service for both of them is excellent. I have had less lag on page loading with VPSColo, Rus really knows his stuff, and really can give you full managed VPS.

I find VPSColo to be a good bang for the buck I like to be able to add CPU and RAM when I need to without having to up in Plans, which you can not do with Dinix.

Originally posted by SonicBoom318
    Are VPSs less likely to go down than shared hosts? And if it does go down, can I reboot the server myself?
    If this is a true VPS/VDS all server instances should be independent for each VPS. But the problem is that if sum up all allocated VPS RAMs you will normally get a number that is much higher than the overall server's RAM.

VPS are good as individual breaks. One cannot jump over one's head.

Never heard of rebooting VPS. You can restart this or that service, while rebooting means DRAC or some other remote rebooting facility.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

With UML at least you can reboot the VPS like a normal dedicated. Uptime etc will be reflect on this.

e.g.

Host machine

Uptime 20 days

VPS

Uptime 15 minutes..

Totally possible

rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

All of those hosts are way too expensive. I can only spend about $20 a month. Are there any cheaper servers?

IMHO you won't find a solution for $20/month unless you're looking for about 1gb of storange and 10gb of transfer.

Well, I think I will be going with Dinix on the VPS 100 plan. Are they a pretty good host with good support?

Are they a pretty good host with good support?
    yes they are a good host with fast support, i had problems with them when I was there but from what I hear they have been resolved, but from personal experience I would choose vpscolo again over dinix anyday, the quality of support is better and Rus and gang seem to be more proactive "if" there is a problem
    UrlRedo.com - short URL service

Be sure that whatever VPS host your choose does not oversell the memory or cpu on the physical machine. You should be given a guaranteed minimum or memory and cpu as well as NIC usage.

I'm not sure with other VPS's but with ensims we can give the customer a control panel to reboot the entire VPS.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged

And if it does go down, can I reboot the server myself?
    Attempting to shutdown and reboot a running Dinix VPS (Virtuozzo) will cause it to go down, requiring you to contact support.

Both Virtuozzo and UML support rebooting. I know there is a chapter in the Virtuozzo manual about setting up reboots as I think it does it via a daemon running on the host

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Originally posted by HQHost
    [B]you should order dedicated server instead of VPS. [b]You'll receive 30 times more than you're able to get on VPS. And you performance will be perfect!
    99.9% of statistics are made up on the spot. He might have a VPS with 512mb of RAM...I doubt he'll find a dedicated with 14GB of RAM.

Originally posted by jvds
    Both Virtuozzo and UML support rebooting. I know there is a chapter in the Virtuozzo manual about setting up reboots as I think it does it via a daemon running on the host

Rus
    The new Virtuozzo Power Panel lets customers reboot at physical level.

The new Virtuozzo Power Panel lets customers reboot at physical level.
    That's good news for customers using that software. Is it out yet?
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged