Thread: File Transfer

File Transfer

I'm wondering what file transfer method is the best. I've looked at FTP and WebDAV. I can't seem to find any discussions of the pros and cons of either.

Our server was recently turned into a 0day FTP site by some french hackers, so security is paramount now. Being on a Windows server, I'm hesitant to open up any other ports than absolutely necessary.

Well what FTP server were you using ?
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Actually, we *were* using AD security and just mapping a drive. We learned why they tell you not to make a web server a domin controller the hard way - when they changed permissions, the permissions were changed directory-wide.

So that's not an option anymore. I have been leaning towards WebDAV using SSL but I have seen most big hosting companies using FTP. I thought FTP sent login credentials in the clear.

You can use a FTP server that support TLS encryption. But note that it means that to access, you would need a client that supports it as well, and not all do.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Are there any drawbacks to using WebDAV?

One of the big reasons I like it is it's included in IIS. In many discussions I've seen on WebDAV people don't seem to trust it, but I've never seen why. I mean, I've seen security patches for it and all, but what part of Windows have they not had to patch up?