Lowest Bandwidth Protocol?

Hi all,

I was wondering what you would consider the lowest bandwidth e-mail protocol: POP3, IMAP, Webmail?

I want to offer only one of these services to my customers, and i want it to be the lowest bandwidth one

I am pretty sure it isn't POP3 because it obviosly downloads the who mail to the clients computer, but i am not sure if a person using a mail client to download mail via IMAP would take more bandwidth than simply just viewing the mail thru webmail?

Any ideas?

I'm not aware of the correct answer but I'd like to know why you're not offering all three to your customers? They take up such a tiny amount of bandwidth anyway!

Andrew
    NetHosted - UK based hosting solutions.

not when you have the number of customers that i have they don't!

Originally posted by wms
    not when you have the number of customers that i have they don't!
    Heh, it's really all relative! Limiting your customers to only one is a bad move IMO.

Lots of people I know have never heard of IMAP and support for it in a lot mail clients is poor.

Webmail is annoying, I have so many email accounts I like having one interface where I can see all my mails (my mail client) I don't want to have to log in seperately to all my accounts all the time.

If you're insistent on removing two of the options then remove IMAP and Webmail.

Andrew

NetHosted, I'm not an ISP, so i don't really care how my users react to the change.

In respect to you choosing POP, is that because you believe it to be the answer to my initial question, or because you believe it is wat the majority of people prefer to use?

NetHosted, I'm not an ISP, so i don't really care how my users react to the change.
    I wouldn't like to hear that if I were your customer.

Well, I don't know much about the difference in bandwidth between IMAP and POP3. Seems to me like POP3 should be better (for you) because the email only gets downloaded once and then that's it.

Webmail has all those buttons and tables etc that take a bit of bandwidth, although once most gifs/jpegs are cached they will be retrieved from the customers' hard drives.

From an usability point of view I prefer IMAP, but that's just me.

Are you sure you'll not lose clients over this? It seems very odd to me to restrict access to such basic things, but hey, whatever works for you, right?

Originally posted by wms

In respect to you choosing POP, is that because you believe it to be the answer to my initial question, or because you believe it is wat the majority of people prefer to use?
    Wow, that's a bad attitude.

Well almost certainly webmail uses the most bandwidth. I don't know enough about the other two to comment.

Andrew

Sorry about that, but its not realy easy to explain the situation, but i'm not a web host, and all services i provide are totaly free.

Basically i function as an NPO (non-profit organisation), raising money for charity in the form of an e-mail service.

Our bandwidth usage is going thru the roof with all our users, and we are gonna have to cut back some of the services as we can not afford to continue them.
    We recently done a poll on what serice users would like to stay, and it was pretty much tied between webmail and IMAP, so i just wanted to know which one would produce the least bandwidth for us.

If you put on something like mod_gzip then Webmail would be the least I expect as IMAP Will poll the server more

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

cheers for that, am i right in saying that apache 2.0 has got some kind of mod-gzip inbuilt?