ctl-alt-del tip for Linux user

I think most of you know this tip already, but I like to mention it any way.

As you know most web hosting company have miss OS, windows, Unix, Linux etc.... For example, You are you working on Windows, and like to have a short break, so you hit ctl-alt-del to lock your console. What if you make a mistake of hitting ctl-alt-del on Linux console, your linux box will reboot by default. Every one make mistake, so your web hosting technician.

To protect your Linux box reboot by mistake by your web hosting technican , just modify one line in the file /etc/inittab to :

# Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE
    ca::ctrlaltdel:/bin/echo "ctl-atl-del is disable"

So every time your web hosting technician hit ctl-alt-del by mistake there is an echo ctl-alt del is disable ...

I hope it helps.

Dnn

awesome i'll have to try that someday when ever im on linux.
    John Heslop

Somthing else to consider is this. The dedicated hosting companies may hit ctrl alt delete to shut the server down properly instead of turning it off hard. I used to work at a dedicated server company, and when we would have to shut off a box we would have to do it that way because we did not have the root passwords. We would hit ctrl alt delete, and when we saw that it was ready to start up again we would pull the plug.

You are right. Depend on each system admin policty. For me, I don't like the server reboot mistakenly, or intensively by any one.

I only like who has root authorization, and who is authorized root sudo are able to reboot the server. To rescuse myself of forgetting root password, I add my own couple user accounts, which have full root sudo. It safe to login to my box as regular user account, whenever I execute commands, which require root right, there is a sudo command.

Again depend on each system admin.. Safe + unconveinience, or un-safe + conveinience.

Google "sudo" for more info.

Excuse my bad English.

Thanks

I would suggesting asking your hosting company how they would shut down the server if they absolutely had to move it, and did not have root access.

sudo has nothing to do with CTRL+ALT+DEL. I use sudo for everything but its irrelavent to this conversation. Say your box locks up and you cant get into it, if you have someone press ctrl+alt+del, and it reboots, you'll be in the clear. if someone power cycles it, data loss could occur. In my opinion, risking a reboot far outweighs the idea of risking data loss.

Thank for your input
    Last edited by dnn; 04-08-2004 at 01:01 PM.

Also, if you just power down a server you will encounter corupted mysql tables
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

So looking at these post we dont disable it