Exclamation Interactive Business Planning Tool

I found this link with an interactive business planning tool. Since this is a hot topic, I thought this might be of use to people.

http://businessgateway.ca

(click on "Interactive Tools")

It is from the Canadian government and is for Canadians, but I don't see why it wouldn't be useful to anyone. The site is in French and English.

I haven't played with it yet, so let me know your feedback. My business planning is usually just an annotated Excel worksheet.

Finally, my #1 business planning tip to you: The first thing to include is YOUR salary--and always make sure you get paid. No sense working 20 hours just to make less than Walmart wages.

One annotated excel worksheet is your business plan? What exactly do banks/investors say when you show them this?

When I have to write up something, I do. But it has been some time since I've had to establish relationships with vendors distributors. As for the investors... that's me.

What I'm concerned about is what sort of cash flow and returns to expect, so I do a lot of research and go over multiple scenarios. Excel is the best tool for me. If I need to make it readable by someone else, then that's the gravy... the meat is still the numbers.

I've used this before, well it was a while ago. But I found it was very helpful and I actually created a complete business plan with this before. It included everything needed to make a full business plan.
    Michael MacKinnon

Re: Interactive Business Planning Tool

Originally posted by cleaver
    Finally, my #1 business planning tip to you: The first thing to include is YOUR salary--and always make sure you get paid. No sense working 20 hours just to make less than Walmart wages. [/B]
    a very wise tip I must say

Excel is your friend when it comes to figuring out business stuff. I made a custom spreadsheet that I made. One page lists stuff like my expected/desired salary, and other monthly expenses, as well as total income currently and projected. Another page lists all of my plans with the name, price, disk space, bandwidth. Another page contains expenses, (cost per server with server specs, cost for bandwidth etc). And a last page lists the number of each accounts that I have.

Then the spreadsheet takes the number of accounts that I have, figures out how much disk space is allocated, and provides me with a number of accounts I can put on each server before I start overselling my disk space. If my accounts are too much to fit on one server, it automatically adds another server on the expense page, and figures the cost of the new server into my total expenses. So I can play around with plan prices, number of accounts for each plan, and find out the best combination to reach my targeted profit level per server.

I just wish that I could say, I have X servers, and want Y profit per server, and have it generate the plans/prices and number needed to acheive that. But I guess I can live with tweaking numbers and feeling my way to that combination.