NewB Web Hosting Questions

First I haven't done much searching on this form and I know that's a major mis-step on other forums. But please forgive me I'm tired.

I'm attempting to host a small website using Apache but I'd also like to set up an e-mail address to go with my domain name. Usually the web-hosting service offers the e-mail addresses but since i'm the host...

How do I set up a mailserver and if anybody has any pointers on using Apache (this is my first time ever) I'd greatly apreciate it.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have anymore questions or PM me for details.

CyberSoldeir_99@hotmail.com

what operating system are you using?

you would probably need to configure bind / named to run a dns server to point a domain to your ip address, then you would need to install a pop3 daemon on your server and configure it to bind itself to the ip address that you have configured your domain to point to.

if you're running linux, there is a pop3 daemon that you can configure to run from the /etc/xinetd.d/ directory.

::Laymen's terms please::

I have no idea what I'm doing really. I just started a class about web development and I'm suddenly inspired. We very quickly setup a web server using Apache but I'm a bit fuzzy on the details to setup on my machine with my domain name.

Speaking of which I've got a name picked out that's availible and one of the options is to host the domains elswhere; and then it asks for the nameservers (which I don't know).

Maybe I should start from the begining and ask what should be step one in hosting my own website?

By the way, I'm running Win XP.

i would say you should buy hosting with a company, learn your way around the command line, setup linux on a spare machine you have, and then start fiddling around with various programs within linux.

and read, you're going to have to read alot.

I do have another website hosted through yahoo. I wanted this project to be a learn by doing kinda thing and I don't want to have to set-up Linux.

I plan for the site to be realy basic for now until I become more profecient and can build a more complicated site. My last web was through Frontpage and I want to do something different as for the design phase.

Once my server is up and running I'm set for uploading and maintaining. I'm just confused on the details that Yahoo or any other web host would take care of for me.

Is there a website or book you would reccomend that's a first time guide?

I do have another website hosted through yahoo. I wanted this project to be a learn by doing kinda thing and I don't want to have to set-up Linux.

I plan for the site to be realy basic for now until I become more profecient and can build a more complicated site. My last web was through Frontpage and I want to do something different as for the design phase.

Once my server is up and running I'm set for uploading and maintaining. I'm just confused on the details that Yahoo or any other web host would take care of for me.

Is there a website or book you would reccomend that's a first time guide?
    you'll need a host who can offer you ssh access.

i would say get ssh access with someone, get used to using it, install linux, learn how to use irc and go onto irc.freenode.net #linuxhelp and asking a question whenever you want to know how to do something.

I look for one but what is SSH?

Originally posted by CyberSoldier
    I look for one but what is SSH?
    Secure Shell Account