Thread: Random Restarts

Random Restarts

My computer running Windows XP has been doing random restarts since I reformatted it yesterday (well only started today). Someone told me this is memory, so I ran Memtest86+, which is highly recommended. Ran it 3 times, the memory passed all 3 times. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I'm fairly sure it's right. My memory, I guess, is okay. So now what can it be? Power supply? Fans? I know the fans are very dusty... could that be it?
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

Could be the power supply...

I would also scan for viruses, as many trojans can restart computers.

Good luck
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

It could be the memory, power supply, or your bios is set to shutdown when the cpu reaches a certain temperature. If your memory seems fine then more then likely its your power supply. Also make sure you are update with your drivers and service packs.

The computer might be overheating. I know I had the exact same problem you have, and I resolved it by cleaning out all of the dust and getting a better heatsink and fan.

I would bet on the over heating issue as well.

Derrick
    ResellerEdge.com - High Quality Reseller/ Multiple Domain Hosting.

Just realized I missed what I always reply to these threads. WinXP by default restarts rather than get a blue-screen. I set it to give me bluescreens, so if it does it again, we'll see why. Anyways, I found this device in the device manager that had a flag, so I disabled it. We'll see what happens.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

It could be powersupply.
    Did you do any mods to your pc?
    If so, something could be shorting.
    Check your bios, if you set it to reboot if it runs above a certain threshold.
    Thats about all that comes to mind.