Bad Experience with fastservers.net

We recently signed up for a new dedicated server at fastservers.net and have been in the process of uploading/configuring the site from our current hosting provider when something when wrong with Active Directory/IIS and we could no longer get the IUSR anonmyous user to authenticate. After a week and a half of going backwards and forwards, fastservers techs were unable to fix the problem and recommended a rebuild. We were advised a rebuild would take 12-24 hrs. Its now over 80 hours since they started the rebuild and counting with no access. If we were live, we would be dead in the water!

ew this is not what i wanted to hear as i was just about ready to signup with them for a dedicated server
    eXeGaming : Professional Gaming Organization

The good news is that our server is now finally up and running again - total down time was 3.5 days. In my humble opinion, that's a long time to rebuild a server and restore your files.

Good morning,

First off, let me apologize to cwruck for the downtime that he had experienced in reference to his dedicated server. In every situation/customer that we bring onboard with FastServers we work with our customers to ensure that each and every server is delivered to their specifications. That being said, the server configuration had changed 195% from what was orginally set forth in the configuration that was provided to us. As for the Active Directory integration and IIS configuration, this is something that was not done by our group -- by a third party. I believe our group went above and beyond in regards to recovering the data, information during the rebuild, along with setting up a clean Active Directory OU for cwruck and his organization -- along with the fact of bringing his SQL data back online and operational.

Normally I do not point the finger at who did what, etc., but in this particular incident our group followed every possible angle to secure the server, data and hand this off to the customer in a timely manner. We have always worked with our customers to ensure that their solutions are online and running no matter what time, effort needs to be put in to have the solution online. But to fault a company for A) work they did not do, B) solution, software that was not setup by the company, C) no legitimate documentation on the products being installed IMHO is not grounds to say "they are at fault".

We've have always worked with our customers no matter what their situation, configuration -- from the initial sign on, delivered solution and well beyond. As long as we have some sort of foundation to work with there is normally never an issue. But to say we are at fault for something that we have not designed, implemented, or have no clue upon is beyond the needle in the haystack....more like the "close your eyes and point out the Orion Nebula".

That being said, cwruck, as you know I am always available to speak with you -- as apparent yesterday while working remotely. If there are any questions about your solution or the configuration please contact me directly or any other senior administrator at FastServers and we will assist your group in getting things back up and going.

Regarding FS, the problem I would complain is about how they deal with troubles ticket.They tried to close tickets in a lightening speed even it is not resolved. Here is a example, couples days go
    I said "please do a scurity audit for me..blabla.." and then I got a reply " please provide your CC last 4 digits..etc" then TICKET CLOSED....well, my problems was unsolved and ticket was closed...I often have tp reopen ticket back and forth

In addition to this, in a overall level, FS is good

Haven't heard much bad things about FS.... i definitely will consider them when i get a US server

Cheers and i hope you guys have more promotions in here hehe
    Shawn Ho
    Singapore Web Hosting Talk - http://www.sgwebhostingtalk.com
    Singapore Soccer - http://www.singaporesoccer.com
    EMAIL - [email protected]

I will definitely considering in still going with them in a couple of weeks, hope i read no more threads like this.
    John Heslop

Terrance, that was a very good reply. Not knowing what happened exactly on this situation it is hard to tell but I find it strange how people will bash a provider here and then the whole picture is shown and in some cases (and most cases with good providers such as FS) there is much more to the story.

I have been with FS for close to a year and yes they have had some issues with downtime (dDos) but that is going to happen with any provider. I have never had them close a ticket before it was answered, in fact I have even had them follow up with me on tickets after they answered my question to make sure everything was good.

I have servers in three DC's and if I could I would move them all to FS.

Sometimes things don't go as planned and downtime is going to happen. It stinks but that is how it goes.

I wish all the people that were happy would come and post here instead of just when there is trouble and they want to moan.

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

My final comment on this thread I raised....

FS did give the system back to us with everything fully restored to the point of failure, including MS SQL Server with all databases, logins and security setting and replication, a basic AD, but excluding IIS which we had agreed we would reconfigure. They did an EXCELLANT job with that.

The comment was raised when we were still down after 3 days into a rebuild and we were a little frustrated. That said, I build/rebuild servers myself in our local environment and know that Murphy's Law always prevails and if you think a job witll take an hour, it will take 5.

FS accessability was hampered by our time zone difference which meant we only had a short window each day to exchange technical details. This is always going to be a problem with international customers and something we have to live with.

To Terrance - yes you did go out of your way to help us including involvement after hours and we thank you for that. This was not an attack on FS being able to resolve the original problem, but merely an expression of frustration at the length of time to rebuild the server.

Would I recommend FS to others - hell yeah!