Thinking of changing hosts.....

I'm currently with Smartyhost - who I must admit have been a good solid host with excellent support, and they're local.

However their support has slipped as they've expanded.

For example, I was attempting to get .htaccess working, using the rewriteEngine to help my CMS deal with search-engine friendly urls. A standard .htaccess file was causing internal server errors - my support request was met with "We don't help with web design".

Plus they want to charge $25 a year to have Gallery on your site.

So it's probably time to move.

I've been looking at Site5 - they seem to have a solid rep on these boards, but being Australian I'm concerned about support during the business day.

Have any Aussies been using their services and had day-support issues?

Can anyone recommend a host that seems to have the level of service/features the Site5 provide?

Thanks guys!

For support in Australia, you will want a large, 24/7 international host or something local. I wouldn't limit yourself to someone in your time zone, I'd just look at them more.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

You probably want to try sticking with an australian, as you will receive support during business hours.
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support Web Hosting Reseller Hosting Cloud/VPS Plans Dedicated Servers

OK - so you're both saying different things... fair enough, I get both your points.

A couple of things that's important to me - I'm currently working on a business plan that calls for a strategic partnership with a web host, as I'd like all MY clients to host with the same host as myself for a predictable hosting environment. So it's going to be important that things like ImageMagick, NetPBM, .htaccess and common CMS products work without hassle, or that the support will be there when problems arise.

The only Australian host I can think of is aussiehosts.com. I think the owner is a Community Liason here as well. Using an Aussie host would probably eliminate your time-zone support concerns....

You may want to have a look at www.webhostingtalk.com.au

Also, I think sprintserve (his nick name here) is from Autralia, you can send him a message to ask

Yes I would also recommend Ausiehosts.com

If you elect to go with site5, I can tell you I've used their support at all hours, and in almost every case I got a response within 5 minutes. Those guys are on the ball at all hours.

You may look into Asian hosts as the timezone is just 1-4 hours apart

I'm aware that most of the Aussie host are overpriced, even their broadband is crap. No offence...

NexDog (Laurence) from Hostnexus is an aussie AFAIK. You might want to put them on your list too.

The search feature is also a good way to find a decent host.

My mboard is on Aussiehosts and any help needed is a support ticket away. You can check their support forums at www.aussieforum.com.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Originally posted by ldcdc
    NexDog (Laurence) from Hostnexus is an aussie AFAIK. You might want to put them on your list too.
    Actually, I'm English but HN is Aussie.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

MatrixReseller.com has 24 hour support and you actually get someone who knows what they are talking about and can help you out over the phone. Also nice is you can set up unlimited domains. Costs about $35 a month for a Windows/Unix plan.

This would work great cause you can set all of your clients up under you and they can manage their own accounts too.

Give them a call, or better yet call their support directly at 2AM there time they are in the EST and see what quality of support you get.

I reccomend them but I am still within the first couple of months and we all know that things can change....

Thats my two cents