Problem transferring domain

Hello!

This is my first post. I have tried to do a search for what I need and cannot seem to resolve my problem.

I was using hotspotwebhosting for a small private website and they seemed to have closed up shop. I am having problems transferring the domain to my new hosting company. They state that they need permission or that I set up the DNS. How can I sppe this along? I have been stuck for a week now!

please help!

Hank

This is a question that your new Hoster can better help you with. They should have provided you with the information you need, to point your Web site to their Server, and most likely, be in a better position to help you.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

They told me that I need permissions and I cannot contact the older hosting company. I hope that I can resolve this!

Did the old hosting company provide you with any username/password or other details for the domain itself? When you do a whois lookup on the domain, is your e-mail the one listed for the contacts? If so, go directly to whatever registrar the domain was registered with on your behalf, and see if they have a lost password feature.
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts

I finnaly was able to log in. I tried to set the domain name servers to the new ones and it told me that there were invalid charachters. I know that I typed it in correctly.

Here are my options, any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails options.jpg  
    Last edited by Hank3rd; 04-07-2004 at 10:04 PM.

Why did you attach a picture of a button?

Sorry, it did not copy all of them. Try again, I edited it. These are the options that I have. I do not know what I can do.

Click on "set nameservers" and enter the ones for your new host.

Originally posted by Hank3rd
    Sorry, it did not copy all of them. Try again, I edited it. These are the options that I have. I do not know what I can do.
    Depending on the registrar you may have to delete the old first and then add the new.

Who is the registrar of the domain (registrar = tucows, register.com, godaddy, etc.,)?
    @mariorodriguez
    Director of Business Development
    Monarx.com
    https://www.monarx.com/about-us

Do you have a Reseller account?

If so, you will need to enter the IP addresses, given to you by your new Hoster, with your Register to update your Nameservers. Your new Hoster should have provided you with your Nameservers, if you did not already tell them what to use.

We don't need to know what buttons come with your account, but the information itself would be helpful.

AHHHHHHH!

I was using the copy/paste method from en email for the name servers and it did not like the lowercase letters. I had to change to caps!

Will I have to do anything else if I requested a transfer from the new hosting company?

Thanks for the help as well!

I finnaly figured it out.....set the dns.

When I requested a transfer, does that usually include a domain reneal for a year? Or will I have to renew it?

If the information you provided your Registrar, for your Nameservers & IPs, matches the information you have with your Hosting, you need only wait about 48 hrs. for propagation and your' done.

It is normal, when transferring a Domain name to aother Registrar, that the renewal date is extended a year and sometimes, you have to pay for the extension.

I finnaly figured it out.....set the dns.

When I requested a transfer, does that usually include a domain reneal for a year? Or will I have to renew it?
    If you were transferring from registrar to registrar it is a possibility that you were also renewing your domain for another year however that all depends on what you were charged.

You may still want to do a 'whois lookup' with Internic.net once the transfer is completed so that you know if time was added to the domain expiration.
    @mariorodriguez
    Monarx.com

I can already FTP into the new IP! Cool.

Does a transfer include a renal or domain?

Great! Thanks a bunch. I am off to sleep. I will check tomorrow how things are going.

I finnaly was able to change the DNS servers with the older hosting company that that I had. The only problenm is that I paid for a domain transfer and the new compeny stated that they sent an email to the administrator and the email was my personal email. I never got an email from them requesting a transfer. Is this something thet I have to work out with the old company?

Also, with the new host I have to FTP the Front Page files, with the old one I did not. Strange. I have Front Page extensions installed too.

Thanks for everyones help!

I finnaly was able to change the DNS servers with the older hosting company that that I had. The only problenm is that I paid for a domain transfer and the new compeny stated that they sent an email to the administrator and the email was my personal email. I never got an email from them requesting a transfer. Is this something thet I have to work out with the old company?

Also, with the new host I have to FTP the Front Page files, with the old one I did not. Strange. I have Front Page extensions installed too.

Thanks for everyones help!

One thing you might be able to do is have the email address that is listed on the administrative contact updated to reflect a current email address that you use actively.

You may want to make sure that the 'email' was not caught by a spam filter or something like that as well. At any rate you can always have them re-initiate the transfer to send out the email again.
    @mariorodriguez
    Monarx.com

I know that the email adress is good and I checked the spam folder as well. This seems to be very difficult!

I am going to try to request the code that I need.