Dedicated Game Servers

Hello,
    I'm planning to setup a game server for one of the game im playing. But i've never setup one before and have absolutely no idea how.

Can anyone tell me the basic thing you need to do when setting up a server? Like what software, os, panel etc you need. And what server specs are recommanded.

Thanks

Where do you plan on purchasing the server? What game are you talking about it? Or you going to get your own dedicated server to do this? You need to know how to remotely control a Linux or Windows server.

The best thing is to go to the site of whatever game you are going to be playing and look around for a setup guide. Most of the popular gaming sites have this.

For Half-Life Dedicated Server, I'm an operator in #hlds on GameSurge IRC and I've written a setup guide because we answer so many of the same questions day after day

Anyways, here's a link to setting up a Steam HLDS server: http://hlds.murrysvillelan.org

Hope that helps and good luck!

im planning on making a server for the game a-tractor if you guys ever heard of that

I don't know where im gonna buy my server yet..

And no I don't really know how to remotely control a linux/window server

No, I have never heard of this game now that I'm curious I'll be checking it out. Probably be cheaper to just rent one from a reputable company unless you need multiple servers.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Originally posted by ZeConan
    im planning on making a server for the game a-tractor if you guys ever heard of that

I don't know where im gonna buy my server yet..

And no I don't really know how to remotely control a linux/window server
    Does this game come with a dedicated server install?

well yes, it has a game server software..

The only thing i'm struggling with right now (or don't know how to right now) is how to install it onto my dedicated server and manage it remotely.

Can anyone give me some lead?

Usually you would upload the files to the server through FTP then from there depending on which OS you would configure the commandline with whatever command strings you use and launch it.

lol or use wget on a direct link to the gameserver files. Then use a program such as screen (if you are using linux) so you can detach the gameserver when you aren't connected so it keeps running. Game's site should have some sortof an install guide.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Programme i found for remote access is WinSCP3. Dont know if anyone has used it but seems fine to me. May help you when accessing a linux server and its free

Originally posted by dab100
    Programme i found for remote access is WinSCP3. Dont know if anyone has used it but seems fine to me. May help you when accessing a linux server and its free
    Yep good program to edit FTP files fast.