Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UK High Bandwidth Solutions

Hi,

I am the IT Manager of a UK company and I am looking for a high bandwidh UK solution and have been watching this board for the last two weeks. I am quite interested in the following offer

/showthread.php?s=&threadid=257230

Can anyone tell me if this company is worth looking at / waiting for or are there any similar offers around for 600-700 gb of traffic a month in the UK,

Yours
    Thomas A Walsch
    Argo & Associated Ltd

Just out of interest, why would anyone want a UK host so badly? Even if all your customers are in the UK, you will get only marginally slower ping times from a US server, and you will get a much better deal than anyone in the UK. I am based in the UK myself, but I could never justify paying more for a less just to have the server in the UK (unless of course you were co-locating).

Indeed, or you could get a server in Netherland / Germany.

iracks.org (.nl) / rackcheck.com (.de)

FYI, iracks is based in UK, DC in Netherlands. Might be a good idea to approach iracks prior to rackcheck.

iracks seems to be always sold out, and a lot fo the german hosts tend to not have their sites in english

but I agree I think its not worth paying 5x the going rate just to have your server in the UK, unless pings are absolutely vital, usually only for gaming.

tsn.uk.com is the cheapest provider I know of....

With regards to the eservers.biz deal. That looks very good.

You could PM rackcheck for deals.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=256715

NAC seems to have a direct link to London.

Best speeds ive noticed from a Datacentre apart from Internap who are a little more expensive.

NAC are available for colocation or sell their own dedicated server (http://15minuteservers.com)

i agree if your not looking at co-locating or doing your own maintainance within the datacenter then it may be worth while looking at a server out of the UK. Ive got a server in the US myself and the ping from london to there is only 111ms on average. Its a pretty decent connection suprising that its quite a good bit away.

I also looked into a server over here but the prices dont match the necessities unless as mentioned your running a gaming server.

Getting 90-92ms from NAC and im up in good old scottie land... No complaints from our UK customers and most hardly notice the difference... since it would most likely only be a few milliseconds more than what they usually would expect.

UK servers are expensive to say the least and i usually get a US server to save on costs, it really makes no difference in performance and load time, amazing i know but its true

ping propertones.com (hosted with catalyst2.com in the UK: 33ms)

ping propergames.com (hosted in the US, theplanet datacentre: 154ms)

On 512kb broadband.

There maybe a huge increase in the ms but from downloading a file from propertones.com and propergames.com it still goes just as fast if it was in the UK or US.
    John Heslop

Due to the high costs in the UK our servers are also hosted in America. We get a ping of 89ms to our server at servint from the UK.

Everyone is mentioning *high UK costs* that isnt true.

The UK has a set standard of services which has been the case for many years, no-one has yet been able to challenge that standard.
    Its not because bandwidth is expensive, its more because companies can get away with giving 30 gb bandwidth month for £199.

All those that think UK costs for BW etc are really really high, you are being misled.

My 2pence worth

well they dont get away with it, they are losing potential customers, I guess they decided that its better to have less customers on 30 gig for £199 then more customers with a better deal.

Could you please explain more how we misled, thanks.

Originally posted by Chrysalis
    well they dont get away with it, they are losing potential customers, I guess they decided that its better to have less customers on 30 gig for £199 then more customers with a better deal.

Could you please explain more how we misled, thanks.
    If you read my post please note the sentence All those that think UK costs for BW etc are really really high, you are being misled.

It clearly states COSTS for bandwidth, and nothing to do with certain packages or companies.

well thats not true I seen uk hosts quote prices like 2 or 3 GBP per gig yet us hosts offer 1 dollar per gig and in many cases below that, take into account the exchange rate and UK hosts can easily be 5 times the price for bandwidth.

If the cost isnt for bandwidth then what is it for? Hardware isnt normally superior so that would leave customer service maybe, I cant fault the service with my current provider. (us provider)

You got the wrong end of my comment.

My post was about actual bandwidth costs to the COMPANY not what the company charges its CUSTOMERS.

Hope that helps.

I think we are all saying the same thing: the costs to the hosting company in the UK are not so much greater that it would justify giving the customer an inferior deal (which is what happens).

There are plenty of UK companies offering close-to-US pricing (I'm referring to mid-range to premium offerings, rather than totally bargain basement style deals) - you just need to check out the offers forum on this board to find some for starters...
    Robin Balen
    Gyron Internet Ltd - http://gyron.net/
    UK colocation, managed hosting and connectivity services with 100% uptime SLAs

well thats not true I seen uk hosts quote prices like 2 or 3 GBP per gig yet us hosts offer 1 dollar per gig and in many cases below that, take into account the exchange rate and UK hosts can easily be 5 times the price for bandwidth.

If the cost isnt for bandwidth then what is it for? Hardware isnt normally superior so that would leave customer service maybe, I cant fault the service with my current provider. (us provider)
    Well maybe you should ask them? Saying the cost for BW in UK is very very high compared to the USA is an incorrect statment, unless you have experience and prices to compare from actual bandwidth suppliers then you are not in a position to make such comments.

The truth of the matter is the large companies at the moment are playing the waiting game as they can offer servers with 30-50GB and they get customers signing up without needing to oversell the "american" way. Prime example is dedicated-servers.co.uk who did over 2,500 new dedicated servers in 2003 year at their noticably high prices.

Originally posted by jheslop1
    ping propertones.com (hosted with catalyst2.com in the UK: 33ms)

ping propergames.com (hosted in the US, theplanet datacentre: 154ms)

On 512kb broadband.

There maybe a huge increase in the ms but from downloading a file from propertones.com and propergames.com it still goes just as fast if it was in the UK or US.
    Maybe on a 512K, get a 1/1.5mbit or 2mbit DSL and you will notice the difference when downloading from Europe compared to North America.
    Last edited by s.h.a.zz.y; 04-08-2004 at 10:03 PM.
    ^^ IM WITH STUPID!! ^^

"The only way to overcome fear, is to challenge it head on"
    "The quickest way to get over a woman, is to get under another"

not true my friend's 10mbit connection can download at 950k/sec from our box located in the US and we are in the UK, transfer speeds are fine, to be honest I have heard it all before about the uk supposedbly having better quality of service and lower contention, I have used uk hosts before and they have never been anything special in terms of reliability or performance, I mean obviously they will have faster reaction times and better latency due to been local so its not that easy to judge but I have noticed no performance problem on my US box from what you would call overselling.
    I think cabalstudios is closer to the truth they just sell the services for more simply because in the uk you can get away with it more then the us, (rip off britian). This is the 3rd thread I seen this now, people jumping in trying to say the uk is not a ripoff.

>Maybe on a 512K, get a 1/1.5mbit or 2mbit DSL and you will
    >notice the difference

Most people's visitors aren't on broadband, let alone 1mbit or greater broadband.

As for the ping times... we're talking about the difference between 50 milliseconds and 150 milliseconds. But it's still in milliseconds. In practical terms, things like site design and how long it takes the browser to render it have a bigger impact on how fast a site appears to the end user, IMHO.

ping times mean next to nothing on webhosting, it affects irc a bit but not a lot, the only thing it really matters for is gaming.

that £200 is like $370. For that i can get an dedicated unmetered P4 with a 10mb/s connection. I live in UK and its a rip off

My current dedicated host in the UK only charge £25 for 25GB bandwidth.

So it means £1 per GB.
    Which isn't bad.

Ive seen < £0.15 per Gig in the UK from several providers now
    Neil R Bowen - WHC
    All posts are of my own personal view and not neccesarily those of any company, this is a personal forum account and all comments are assumptions and may not be fact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast