isn't enough to handle 100 simultaneous users and continue growing a bit?

about a year ago i had my site at EV1, it was a celeron 1.0 with 512 RAM, the most visited part is a phpBBboard, when we had hour larger peaks was with 200 simultaneous users, we never had a problem with that server handling so many users.

then bad times came, a "partner" who ran away without paying us, etc etc, we ended up moving our site to a shared one (because of the $), we had the bad experience of the hosting that suddenly disappeared and then moved to a better one, in both shared we didn't have much of a problem managing 100 simultaneous users.

The site was growing again, so with a lot of effort to pay it was time to move to a dedicated server. We got at ServerMatrix a Celeron 2.4 with 512 RAM, we moved the whole site 2 or 3 weeks ago, and the problems have been constant, sometimes with just 15 users the server load went up to 11. last week the security of the server was compromised and had to pay for the OS reload, then yesterday everything was back to the server, the security tightened, a "safe" kernel, etc etc.. and just with 20 simultaneous users at the board the server went completely down again, is that normal??? if it's a better server, why can't even handle 100 users??? what can possibly be??? configuration? optimization? security?

all your comments are welcome, thanks

See all of the above and ask yourself why you went into an unmanaged dedicated server head first with no or little previous experience in the 3 categories you mentioned. Now I know it sounds like I'm lecturing you and what not but you may be in need of a system admin who can help patch this up. Servers do not run themselves all the time.

As for the partner that ran away you need to write up contracts to prevent against this in the future.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Check for run away processes, rootpacks, irc bots, etc.

a celly 2.4 should be able to take
    ~300 users on a VB based forum w/o too much trouble (if any? anyone confirm?).

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

wishful thinking but I believe thats doable. Lots of optimization needed and more ram couldn't hurt.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.

Guys, it appears he did have someone look at the server already.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

From what I read it wasn't a very thorough look through and no mention of optimation.

P.S Thelinuxguy is an outstanding system admin if you decide you want one.

This is a common problem with SM. You have to consult the SM RedHat Linux forum for the two lines fixing the kernel issues. If the CPU load persists, change the Apache settings as proposed in several threads here, at WHT.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

if its RHE try this:

echo 100 > /proc/sys/vm/inactive_clean_percent
    echo 2 10 20 > /proc/sys/vm/pagecache
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance