RedHat Linux 9 vs Debian

I have RH Linux 9 on two dedicated server. They both have Cpanel and WHM but the guys who are in charge of setting it up keep insisting I should have Debian installed.

Problem is, I can't have cPanel with Debian and I don't want to depend eternally on the installers but would like to start doing things on my own.

Any suggestions from the Gurus? Are the "installers" giving me just some BS or are they right?

And, what could I use with Debian?

TIA

I would use Debian more for gameservers. I'd stick like you are now, with cpanel on your redhat box.

Kind of impossible to answer without knowing more details. Debian is definently better for some things, but RedHat has it's advantages to. What do you need to do with these servers? If your just hosting websites, and don't have much knowlege about unix architecture and command, I would say you should stick with Redhat/Cpanel for ease of use.

Oh, they're just to host some forums. 4 of them, actually but nothing else. One of the servers is on Linux 3 and they say the crappy MySQL they had to install is constantly saying "too many users... etc" but I can move everything to RH9 which should allow them to have a better mySQL

Debian would be more stable, its built around stability and secuirty rather then cutting edge features so i think that would be more of what you are looking for.

personally I hate Redhat, alot of the stuff on it is sort of breaks away from the standards and causes problems when compiling programs, openssl is a good example, I find it very annoying many hosts are only supporting Redhat, and not other stuff such as debian and gentoo, Freebsd is good also.

If you are going to only set up 4 sites then it probably easier to go without a control panel. Cpanel isn't what you call bug free and the thing about it is that it introduces security risks once in a while which may get exploited.

Debian strength is that you start off with nothing and you add what you really need so you do not have excess baggages at the start up stage which you find yourself having to start down. Since you are running 4 forum sites, it is possible to get an optimized system with Debian.

Of course, as far as the popularity contest goes, Redhat stands out as a very popular choice with a multitude of support for add-ons including control panels. But that is probably as far as it goes.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Hi Trilux.

Tell your sys admins to get over themselves.

RedHat 9 is fine. It is secure and stable. Your sys admins can even install apt for RPM if they don't like resolving dependacies manually. (And apt, the debian package manager, is probably one reaons why they are preferring to use Debian anyway).

And since you need RedHat to do what you're doing, then the sys admins should just buckle down and get the job done. Of find new ones.
    RimuHosting.com - VPS Hosting and Dedicated Server Hosting since 2003
    Pingability.com - Peace of Mind Web Site Monitoring

I am not sure if this is important but Redhat Linux 9 would EOL is about 3 weeks time. After that, there will no longer be any official support or updates through Redhat.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

If you want C-Panel don't use Debian as they really don't get on well. Also C-Panel is providing support for RH9 via the Fedora Legacy project. IMHO a sys admin shouldn't try to force their will on a customer but only highlight potential problems.

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

For results with cPanel, our research showed that Redhat 9, RHE and FreeBSD 4.x are by far the best performers.
    Adam Harris
    Technical Director, XOMY Limited
    XOMY LCD and Plasma Televisions :: XOMAC Apple Macs

Originally posted by p[]
    Kind of impossible to answer without knowing more details. Debian is definently better for some things, but RedHat has it's advantages to. What do you need to do with these servers? If your just hosting websites, and don't have much knowlege about unix architecture and command, I would say you should stick with Redhat/Cpanel for ease of use.
    What would such pros and cons be ?
    Shawn Ho
    Singapore Web Hosting Talk - http://www.sgwebhostingtalk.com
    Singapore Soccer - http://www.singaporesoccer.com
    EMAIL - shawnho@sgwebhostingtalk.com

Well one major disadvantage to each are as follows:

Redhat 9 :

Redhat shall no longer be providing support for the operating system after 30th April 2004. THis includes the release of security patches, software and kernels.

Debian:

Maintained by users (not necessarilly a bad thing), however always in development and *bleeding edge*. This can leave it open for security holes which are progressively patched as work continues. You need to know what your doing and be willing to devote time and energy to it. Installing software is just as easy as the Redhat RPM system, there is the APT package system.
    Adam Harris

Yeah but cant you get the support and help you need for Red Hat from the community...like Debian ?
    Shawn Ho
    Singapore Web Hosting Talk - http://www.sgwebhostingtalk.com
    Singapore Soccer - http://www.singaporesoccer.com
    EMAIL - shawnho@sgwebhostingtalk.com

Debian is undoubtably one of the best for community support.

Fedora (the free alternative project from redhat) is aimed to follow in its footsteps, but early signs show that it is not really ideal for server use.

There will be no more official patches/support from Redhat for Redhat 9. I really wouldn't recommend placing it on a new system now.
    Adam Harris

is this why Redhat is usally the main or only supported os just because of cpanel support?

Redhat was the first OS to be supported by cPanel and hence the most heavily worked on and stablised.

Since the announcements by Redhat last year, cPanel have been concentrating on supporting a greater spectrum of OSs. Most particularly, the cPanel support for FreeBSD has greatly improved.

We've run some copies of the cPanel for Debian beta, and that still has a little way to go. cPanel for RHE is slowly but surely improving and gaining in stability.

I would expect a new release shortly to support the Fedora Core 2.

Unfortunately I have no experience with support for Mandrake and SuSe as we have never considered them for rolling out on dedicated servers.

It shall definately be interesting to see how cPanel for OSX and Windows works, as those are two key areas of the market that could really do with another major control panel.
    Adam Harris