Looking for a good log analyzer

I'm looking for a good log analyzer that will run on Windows, and preferably can fetch the log files via FTP. It can be free, or inexpensive..but nothing crazy. Urchin looks cool but it's nearly $1000!

Also it should report referers properly, unlike SmarterStats! If someone hotlinks to a JPG on your site, SmarterStats counts that as a referring site.. blech.

Thanks

I use awstats it works very well and it is free

Is it a Windows app ?

AWStats @ SourceForge

You just need to be able to run Perl on your server...
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

Well, that eliminates that option. I'm a Windows guy.. that's why I stated that in the first post Cuz I knew if I didn't, people would recommend awstats.

There is windows perl activeperl that can be used and MSI installation very simple to install

Ugh.. awstats is a pain to set up! I can't get my log file format set right. In my conf file I have this:

LogFormat="%time2 %methodurlnoprot - %host %other %ua %referer %code %other %bytesd"

Here's a line from my logs:

2004-04-07 01:19:28 GET /images/layout/btn_demo_f2.gif - 69.70.248.235 HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+NT+5.1;+.NET+CLR+1.1.4322) http://www.samhulick.com/credits.asp 200 0 740

I can't do an -update.. it says the log doesn't match the logformat. What am I doing wrong?

Hm, any other options for Windows? I don't have the time to set all this stuff up.. I just want a program I can run, point to my log directory, and have it give me reports.

Webalizer
    http://www.webalizer.org/

AwStats is better - you have to set it up
    we use it on linux/apache and it works properly
    you can wright a script to update awstats that generate and show you stats daily for your homepage

cheers
    alex
    Often it ain't what you do, it's the way you do it.
    http://www.molesoftware.com

Webalizer..blech. Why all these unpolished looking utils that have no GUI, and can't handle W3C extended log format? Or they have to have the logs formatted a VERY specific way. Webalizer wouldn't read my logs.

Maybe the web log analyzer market is lacking. Isn't there just an app you can load, hit "open," point it to your log directory, and that's it?

Originally posted by freaky00
    Webalizer
    http://www.webalizer.org/

AwStats is better - you have to set it up
    we use it on linux/apache and it works properly
    you can wright a script to update awstats that generate and show you stats daily for your homepage

cheers
    alex
    I couldn't get AwStats to parse my log files. And I can't change the log format because I'm grabbing these ex*.log files from my host via FTP. They're in charge of the server.

if your looking for a windows app try live stats, it's not free but it's a nice analizer i must say.

if you dont mind spending a few bucks to get a decent product , you should look at www.urchin.com, we offer it and our clients love it.

Actually, I am a client Not a host. I just need something simple for myself

I believe the small business version of webtrends 7 is only about $500. However, if you want their cool page real-estate analysis tool, it's going to cost an additional few grand to upgrade to the middle range version.

Matt
    Matt Lightner - http://www.mattlightner.com/
    - First initial to the last name at the mail service provided by the world's largest search engine
    - Founder and CEO (Former) Site5.com, sold in 2008
    - Really honestly wants to be a good WHT citizen but can never remember all the correct etiquette. Mods, sorry in advance

We have used 123LogAnalyzer. It's straightforward, simple, and runs on your desktop machine. It provides ample stats and is around $129, I think.

We just installed Sawmill for a client and it looks pretty good too. Not quite as pretty in terms of reports, but it offers lots of stats and is only $99 or so. We installed a unix version, but I think it comes in a desktop version too.

Hope that helps.
    John
    Business & eCommerce Web Hosting, Site Development & Marketing eSolutions
    eSolutions.net

Greetings:

We like awstats. It works, and it is free.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Dont most host nowadays carry urchin? Maybe not 5.x but at least 3 or 4x

Originally posted by OtherMDesign
    Maybe the web log analyzer market is lacking. Isn't there just an app you can load, hit "open," point it to your log directory, and that's it?
    I have tried/tested quite a few, and the two I like best for Windows are:

[list=a][*]HTML-Kit Pro LogAnalyzer (chami.com/html-kit/pro/logs) - $55 reg for HTML-Kit Pro[*]Summary (summary.net) - $59 for basic version for personal use[/list=a]

I think Summary may come closest to what you want, especially in terms of ease of use (browser-based) and being able to point the program at a remote log directory. The output is pretty amazing too.

Note : I don't own a copy of Summary, nor am I affiliated with them! I am a registered user of HTML-Kit Pro ... which is a very good coding editor.