Is Host Design Everything?

Is your hosting company's home page everything? How important is it do you think to potential clients?

Also what are some of the best hosting designs out there in your opinion?

I think the design is very important to customers.

Imagine in the real world you have two shops, one of them is in a brand new shopping center, nice glass front, well lit etc etc. The other shop is in the bad end of town down a dark alley.

Which one are you gonna buy your goods from?
    Steve

Okay thanks for your input. I guess you are right, first impressions do make a huge impact. Guess i better get sketching.

However, your design doesn't mean anything if you don't answer presales questions and continue to perform each month.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Originally posted by pixel_fenix
    However, your design doesn't mean anything if you don't answer presales questions and continue to perform each month.

So true

Originally posted by pixel_fenix
    Yep totally agree - point taken.

If you are just starting out then you will want everything you can to help get those first batch of clients. Now, I've seen many older hosts sites, who are doing quite well, but look as if they were made in the early 80s. They still get customers because most of their clients are through referrals.

But when you're starting out, it's a good idea to spend some money or a fair amount of time to get a solid web site design, that's easy to use.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

Originally posted by schmeg007
    If you are just starting out then you will want everything you can to help get those first batch of clients. Now, I've seen many older hosts sites, who are doing quite well, but look as if they were made in the early 80s. They still get customers because most of their clients are through referrals.

But when you're starting out, it's a good idea to spend some money or a fair amount of time to get a solid web site design, that's easy to use.
    Okay thanks - whats classed as a solid website and what kind of features and pages am i going to be needing in your opinion.

Originally posted by Vortex-Steve
    I think the design is very important to customers.

Imagine in the real world you have two shops, one of them is in a brand new shopping center, nice glass front, well lit etc etc. The other shop is in the bad end of town down a dark alley.

Which one are you gonna buy your goods from?
    What if all your clients conduct their business over the phone in your scenario? They probably couldn't care less what the store looked like if they never had to go there in the first place right?That also means that most likely the nice new shop in the shopping center has to pay more overhead for their location and the shop down the dark alley can take that money and use it to enhance the actual product that both companies sell.

The point being is that a custom web design is much more important to people that rely heavily on their web sites for sales. If you are targeting local markets where you actually visit offices, people visit your office and telephones are the main sales tools then an expensive site is much less relevant.

Also try not to make your site so complex that people have a hard time finding the information they need. There is such a thing as design overkill.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Right okay - thanks. Anything else?

Watcher if theirs static on the line or if they can't hear you properly then it's the same thing as a bad shop front.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

there are two schools of thought on this one as far as I can tell...

1) The flash template people

2) The clean design, easy navigate type people

I'd keep well clear of 1) - one of the most beautiful webhost designs I ever saw (for ease of use, looks etc) is http://www.clook.net/ just look how easy it is to find what you want, how professional it looks etc

I agree it's very important to make a good first impression!

Andrew
    NetHosted - UK based hosting solutions.

Originally posted by NetHosted
    there are two schools of thought on this one as far as I can tell...

1) The flash template people

2) The clean design, easy navigate type people

I'd keep well clear of 1) - one of the most beautiful webhost designs I ever saw (for ease of use, looks etc) is http://www.clook.net/ just look how easy it is to find what you want, how professional it looks etc

I agree it's very important to make a good first impression!

Andrew
    That is a nice page!

Re: Is Host Design Everything?

Originally posted by anjam
    Is your hosting company's home page everything? How important is it do you think to potential clients?

Also what are some of the best hosting designs out there in your opinion?
    It does not have to be the best one out there or pay 10,000 for the design it just needs to be useable.
    www.joebobgames.com Joebob games - Flash games! Come join the fun!

Flash, static, makes no difference.

I've seen some really nice flash designs, and some really nice static designs.

What you have to decide is what type of customer you want to attract.

Your site will attract different types of people, you can't please them all.

Originally posted by Tux-e-do
    Flash, static, makes no difference.

I've seen some really nice flash designs, and some really nice static designs.

What you have to decide is what type of customer you want to attract.

Your site will attract different types of people, you can't please them all.
    Yeah thats what i started to think, i might do a mix. Flash header with a static site. I'll then add the option of flash presentation at a later date to cater for the flash hungry customers.

Just as long as you connect with your potential site visitor, show that you can solve their problem. How you accomplish that is up to you. Maybe something like HostRocket.com, or at the opposite end of that, HTTPme.com.