Thread: First for me

First for me

Just posting a thought and a bit of venting for me...
    A couple of years ago I offered to host and author a complete new site for a student nursing org. Since I was a nursing student and had a small business of hosting I figured doing them a favor. They explained to me that they would really appreciate it and offered 20 per month. I was not looking to make a profit so I did rewrite the site and hosted it. The old site was a simple one with lots of bad colors, tons of animated gifs, etc. I gave it a nice new clean look with clean graphics, database backend for content, etc. A new election year came and the newly elected 'webmaster' said he would take over. I gave him the information and was told by the board he would handle it. Well he did nothing and it ended up appearing as if I was producing all of the stale content. Just a bit ago I was informed that the domain was being moved to a new account with Dotster. I checked with Dotster to be sure as I was concerned about the domain being hijacked. All was okay, then a week or so ago I was forward an email by accident that gave set up instructions for the new account with Verio. So I wrote the board with questions and received no answers. I figured they just decided that I was not working out and moved on. Well they are paid up until July 1, 2004. I figured to be sure the best way is to maintain their site on my servers until 1 July and then delete the account.
    Okay.. long winded yes... but I guess I just felt it was poor business not to be up front and say 'hey, we want to move."
    Thanks for listening!

Vancouver Island, BC
    It's too bad they won't respond with a reason, I've had similar situations in the past only a couple of times but it can be fustrating. If you still know someone within the org it may be a window to at least get the reason for the move.

I have a few volunteer groups I have provided services for, including a local community radio station's online streaming and I really question the return from the investment of time and resources. I generally don't charge these orgs but in the case of the radio stream I currently only have a MP3 intro in the stream saying "brought to you by .. " and I'm supposed to have actual on-air spots running as well, they have never been produced yet though, meanwhile we've been streaming them for almost 2 years.

Sad part is in the past few months due to staff changes there we now get phone calls from them for support using our toll-free lines, and every time the problem has been at their end with the encoding box, which is a bigger problem since it's also supposed to be the station log device for the regulators.

Still, you do feel a little better knowing you are giving back
    Dynanet Network Services - 206-607-9075
    We Do Hosting - Established May 2001