internet connection

Hello all,

Which one do you recommend?

Host from home or put in dataplace center? Which one save more money?

save money? home
    Joman Sierra
    http://www.dominet.net

personal webpage - no traffic - dont mind slow page loads? - then host from home.
    the end of the world is upon us...absolute power corrupting absolutely...free speech is never free...

...mod friendly signature compliant

i dont think youll save money at home. co lo is cheaper in the long run.

but as far as slow pages, im pretty sure if its done right people wont be able to tell the difference. a connection is a connection
    jubba joo!

What are you planning to serve? And, what kind of connection were you planning to have at home?

Hosting from home is only cheaper if your happy with using a connection you would normally have for your own use, and don't mind sharing it. Once you start adding lines, then its cheaper to colo.
    managedway
    WE BUILD CLOUDS

Cloud Computing | Fiber Optic Internet | Colocation

I would like to use atleast T1 connection. If I host from home, I have to buy control panel WHM software. Some dataplace centers, they provide those software. Is that right?

They dont provide as in include, but a lot of them can set you up with a license for a smaller than normal monthly fee.
    Hosting in a datacenter is going to give you better speeds a lot cheaper than buying your own T1 line

not to mention in a COLO you often have multiple lines, aka, multiple points of failure. remember, the more incoming lines the less a chance one of them missing will affect your end user.

Colos are cheaper for the same reason walmarts cheaper. they can buy in bulk and "pass the savings on to you" IMO the only reason to host from home is for the learning experience. At first i thought it would be more convenient as well, but lemme tell you, it aint.
    jubba joo!

It's really almost always cheaper to colo. You get much larger bandwidth (and better quality usually) from a colocation facility than you can for the cost of a dedicated T1.

You also have to think about things like ups and backup power which few homes have.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

Originally posted by Fujiwara Takumi
    not to mention in a COLO you often have multiple lines, aka, multiple points of failure. remember, the more incoming lines the less a chance one of them missing will affect your end user.

Uhmm.. I think you meant to say that Colocation often has multiple lines and LESS chance of failure, correct?

Otherwise: your logic would mean that my T1 at home would have a less chance of failure than our datacenter with 4 x oc-48s.

Originally posted by nrsoftware
    Uhmm.. I think you meant to say that Colocation often has multiple lines and LESS chance of failure, correct?

Otherwise: your logic would mean that my T1 at home would have a less chance of failure than our datacenter with 4 x oc-48s.

you misread what i said.
    jubba joo!